Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
This is an ongoing problem Zips. He is also a pretty big "stager", I made same call last year, poor old Rance actually milked a free and got suspended. This goose gets frees because they look like frees because of his acting. He should be treated like The velvet sledgehammer in my opinion and given sweet FA.

Ben Brown is a disgrace and needs to be shamed for it as Rance was IMO.

Same goes for that Maggot Lurch Texan who's core centre of gravity is so poor because he is so tall that he only has to lean forward and he falls over then gets free kicks.

Reactions: 2 users

acatman1

Tiger Superstar
Sep 18, 2016
To give a small bit of credit to the umps and the rules committee, one of the positive changes over the last few years has been the reinterpretation of the high contact rule. Now if you you shrug, duck, or lead with your head, you're just as likely to get pinged for holding the ball as draw a high contact penalty.

Because keep in mind, that's what Selwood does. He doesn't 'go lower, and harder' or whatever nonsense Geelong supporters like to spout, he has a technique for slamming his neck into opposition forearms. A little bend of the knee, a little flick of the shoulder, and that last second acceleration into the tackle.

What always annoyed me is that this is a meta-skill. It's not really footballing ability, it's a manoeuvre that exploits a loophole. Which has thankfully been made much tighter.

Selwood has always been an average skilled footballer, with no regard for personal safety, a winners mindset, and effective trick. And he's showing his limitations now they've pointed out his trick was essentially cheating.

Though it does make me laugh when all the Geelong supporters who are so used to getting things their own way start losing a couple of games and blaming the umpires for not giving them preferential treatment.

So where do Geelong fit in the frees for and against this year?? lost the frees at HOME against Adeliade yet won the match.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
So where do Geelong fit in the frees for and against this year?? lost the frees at HOME against Adelaide yet won the match.

Geelong always give me the impression they're getting frees. They do seem to like asking for frees, clearly a tactic, and why not, professional teams will try for any advantage.

But when you look at the stats they are close to even, -2 at the moment. Have varied a bit over time, a few years with a deficit back in 2015 to 2017 (but more favourable in the finals) - maybe they reacted to this. Richmond seem to just take the view it is out of our control so we don't seem to try asking.

DS

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Yeah, just a quick look at a few different KFP players. Mason Cox and Ben Brown get 2 frees per game, Jack R and Tom L 1 per game but Tommy Hawkins gets 0.6 per game. Thought that was interesting.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Ben Brown is a disgrace and needs to be shamed for it as Rance was IMO.

Same goes for that Maggot Lurch Texan who's core centre of gravity is so poor because he is so tall that he only has to lean forward and he falls over then gets free kicks.
James Sicily showed how pointless it is to try to jump over Cox when he can be so easliy moved from behind, allowing a simple mark behind him. He has absolutely ZERO core strength.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
At home.
Geelong 18.4 opponents 15.1
Away
Geelong 16.1 opponents 19.4

That's a decent discrepancy. They get 6.6 more frees per game compared to their opposition when they play at home. Unconscious bias right there.

acatman1

Tiger Superstar
Sep 18, 2016
That's a decent discrepancy. They get 6.6 more frees per game compared to their opposition when they play at home. Unconscious bias right there.
Dont see why the finger is pointed at Geelong? when there are far more bias in favour of other teams. Interesting JR gets more frees on average than Hawkins. Hows that unconsious bias going right there??

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Dont see why the finger is pointed at Geelong? when there are far more bias in favour of other teams. Interesting JR gets more frees on average than Hawkins. Hows that unconsious bias going right there??

Am not pointing the finger at anyone. Just making an opinion on the figures just presented in terms of team frees at home versus away. I am sure it's the same for many teams particularly those that don't share a home ground.

Interestingly career-wise both Reiwoldt and Hawkins average 1 free for a game and 1 free against. Been Brown averages 1.4 for and 0.6 against. Umpires pet Cox averages 1.4 for and 0.8 against (1.6 for & 0.85 against in the last 2 years).

Last edited:

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
There is something hilarious about Geelong supporters sooking it up over umpiring.

It's like a baby throwing a tantrum when the silver spoon falls out of its mouth.

I hope they enjoyed being the June premiers.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
How come Cunnington gets reported 5 times for striking and has not been suspended once?

Imagine if that was a Richmond player up before the MRO Tiger hater.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
How come Cunnington gets reported 5 times for striking and has not been suspended once?

Imagine if that was a Richmond player up before the MRO Tiger hater.

If it was a Tiger player it wouldnt happen he wouldnt get the chance to play enough games to get rubbed out 5 times

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach

Current season
frees for
JR 1
TH 0.6
frees against
JR. 1.7
TH. 0.9
Career
frees for
JR. 1
TH. 1
frees against
JR. 1
TH. 1
Total frees for
JR. 251
TH. 243
Total frees against
JR. 241
TH. 254
JR 252 games
TH 247 games
Source https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=10&type=T&pid1=1731&pid2=1759&fid1=C&fid2=C

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I had to go back and check the frees from the Suns game where we thrashed them by 92 points.

19-17.