Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
I think with Richardson running the clowns next year and the clowns knowing fully he was at Richmond.. I think we will be ok with the floggers next year.
We couldnt go any worse then this year
Or Richardson would be saying "pay back time bitches"

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Or Richardson would be saying "pay back time bitches"

It's going to be either a slight improvement or they will totally bend us over.
Similiar to the round 1 game against Carlton. 7 of their first 8 goals came from free kicks or the hawthorn game, where they were plucking free kicks from no where.
The Wingard free kick, that ended any chance we had of a come back was the worse one of the year

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Cheers David, but sometimes I wonder what a player could have done differently. It is an oval ball and will bounce wherever it wants. Bit hard on the player sometimes.

That said, Dusty seems to be able to make the thing talk :cool:

I agree, I think the rule is too harsh. Kick while being flung in a tackle and you get pinged. I remember when the rule didn't exist and it needed a change, but we should go for somewhere in between. Also the umpire is asked to decide on intent which is damned near impossible.

Never an easy one, except maybe for Dusty.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
half the posts on here are saying pay what is there, the other half say put the whistles away. if they start "putting" the whistles away it means they start picking and choosing what frees they pay, rather than paying a free when they see one, which will lead to further inconsistencies.
but if they pay everything they see we end up with 100 frees paid per game, which nobody wants. i do wonder though if they started paying everything they see how long it would take for players to infringe less.
Wouldn't take long. Players always fudge the limits of what the maggots will let them get away with. The more they get away with, the more they fudge. Umpire to the rules n don't waste time directing traffic n putting all the players in their exact correct positions at ball ups and amazingly the game will open up in no time flat.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Watched the prelim again on the weekend.

Matt Stevic is my new favourite ump. He must have had 3 earplugs in each ear.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
I must have missed this along the way, but became aware today that Dan Richardson has taken over as the umpire's boss.

May god have mercy on our souls.
Did we push him or did he walk? I know Essendrugs pushed him so maybe they'll have something to sweat about.
We're already usually on the shitty end of the maggots umpiring stick anyway so things probably shouldn't noticeably get much worse anyway.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Did we push him or did he walk? I know Essendrugs pushed him so maybe they'll have something to sweat about.
We're already usually on the shitty end of the maggots umpiring stick anyway so things probably shouldn't noticeably get much worse anyway.

"Razor Ray" - Challenge Accepted

• Haha

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
What is it with ex-Richmond people and umpires bosses? Richardson, Campbell, Geischen and I think ex reserve’s coach Peter Schwab. Anyone else?

Relton Roberts

Tiger Cub
Sep 5, 2013
Pre warning for Round 1 when Richmond will be used as Guinea Pigs again with this new on the mark rule just like 2 years ago with the protected 10 meter area where we had 6 x 50 meter penalty's paid against us but we didn't receive one free kick for when Carlton were doing it, so Round 1 this year I'm predicting Richmond will only have to breathe on the mark for a 50 to be paid :mad:

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Pre warning for Round 1 when Richmond will be used as Guinea Pigs again with this new on the mark rule just like 2 years ago with the protected 10 meter area where we had 6 x 50 meter penalty's paid against us but we didn't receive one free kick for when Carlton were doing it, so Round 1 this year I'm predicting Richmond will only have to breathe on the mark for a 50 to be paid :mad:
Of course. This is a given.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
He loves it he really does.

He loves hearing the Tiger Hoards baying for him there is nothing surer.

To calm down when he does this, we will just have to play on repeat in our head the Grimes / Chambermaid, man gets hit in the groin by football :rotfl2

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
To calm down when he does this, we will just have to play on repeat in our head the Grimes / Chambermaid, man gets hit in the groin by football :rotfl2
Must be time for the Balta to show Grub how it's done n launch a seventy metre bomb into the Chamber pots groin from about ten metres, unlike the prissy little dribble kick Grub got him with.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Bumping this up - someone has to ?

thought the Dumps last night were consistently inconsistent, but what else is new?
beyond the blatant stuff, i thought they gave Cripps a few favours ..

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
beyond the blatant stuff, i thought they gave Cripps a few favours ..
Last quarter Southern Stand wing; just in front of me. Cripps tackled and spun around 360 and drops to the ground and ball comes out. Clearest free kick for holding the ball you'll ever see. Prior opportunity and didn't kick or handball it. Tackle brought him to the ground.

But no; play on!!!!

Umpires' pet......................

• Angry

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
Last quarter Southern Stand wing; just in front of me. Cripps tackled and spun around 360 and drops to the ground and ball comes out. Clearest free kick for holding the ball you'll ever see. Prior opportunity and didn't kick or handball it. Tackle brought him to the ground.

But no; play on!!!!

There were a few of those, could have been against us too. What was with the non 50M penalty for running over the mark in the last?

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

But no; play on!!!!

Right in front of me too. That was the textbook example of HTB.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
The umpiring mightnthave been all that good in both games so far, I do have a bit of sympathy for them. The new rules that have been introduced over the past few years certainly haven't helped.
It's a far harder game to umpire now than it has ever been before. I have some mates who umpire in a lower level, but still very competitive league. They were saying how it's far harder now tha when they started about 10 years ago. These same guys are former players who've played for many years at a high level.

The knuckle headed wombats who are making all these rule changes really don't do any in depth analisys into the effects they will have on the game itself & all parties involved. Umpires, players, coaches & supporters etc are all impacted in some way or other.