Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
I am not one to condone such behaviour . . . but . . . maybe the AFL should stop rewarding the teams which have feral supporters.

Yep, Collingwood supporters can be pretty feral about the umpiring, but given the way they get away with throwing the ball and seem to be about +100 free kicks every year, why would the supporters stop being feral?

West Coast supporters can be pretty willing at times and look at their free kick advantage in Perth.

For all the criticism of supporters bagging the umpires it doesn't seem to do their teams any harm, quite the opposite.

DS
Wait for the Swampies ferals next week! Always get a good run at home.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
So if you want a free kick all you have to do is run over a player bending over picking up the ball. The dud umps will pay a "taking the legs" free 9 out of 10 times.

Also if you want to run with the ball 30 meters without bouncing just take the kick in from a behind. The umpires are too busy rehearsing their stand stand routine in their heads to blow the whistle.

And if you kick to a team mate 8 meters away don't worry the ump will pay the mark.

Reactions: 4 users

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
anyone see the GC-Adelaide game? Ump payed a free to Adelaide for unrealistic attempt against Rankine. . Rankines leap was timed to absolute perfection, it was a thing of beauty, just that a big player in front of him in the queue got a fist on it. He actually went through the motion of marking the ball even though it never arrived. Bit like the old saying, 'the operation was a success, but the patient died'. Seriously the AFL need to have a serious look at this, it should only be paid if it is obvious the player never had a hope. Otherwise to discourage gun players going for marks is a travesty. Why does this have to be so hard?
Goodluck, they cannot even pay clear marks.

Reactions: 1 user

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
So if you want a free kick all you have to do is run over a player bending over picking up the ball. The dud umps will pay a "taking the legs" free 9 out of 10 times.
Its not even why the rule was introduced! Commentary just supports the misunderstanding. It was brought in to stop soccer like tackles that break legs!

Reactions: 1 user

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
That Nank mark is plain cheating you wouldn't see that at junior level.

Reactions: 3 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Its not even why the rule was introduced! Commentary just supports the misunderstanding. It was brought in to stop soccer like tackles that break legs!
I call it the Adam Goodes rule, people forget what a sniper he was.

Reactions: 1 users

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
I had to laugh in one of the other games and a player got his legs taken out and looks like he has a pretty bad knee injury. I forget the game/player. But no free kick paid of course.

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
I think that the new rules introduced over the last few years are taking a toll on the umpires. The more things that they have to concentrate on, the more mistakes they will make. There must be a natural limit to how many things you can focus on at once and I think that we may have passed it.

And while I'm on it can they stop paying free kicks to players who duck. That would have to be the single most action the AFL could take to protect the head.

Reactions: 3 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Okay, two questions.

1. Why wasn't the Kamdyn incident a free kick? It doesn't matter if it's accidental, as accidental high contact is still a free kick in every other situation excluding marking contests, which this wasn't. Right?

2. If you win the ball and contribute to receiving high contact by a tackler (aka "the Selwood rule"), then doesn't that mean prior opportunity and holding the ball?

If so, the Papley free kick was an example of this and needs to be stamped out. These guys create the high contact by looking at an opposition player before they get the ball, grabbing the ball, then propelling their body and head towards the opposition player to intentionally create high contact that otherwise wouldn't have happened. It's wrong, and it rewards players for attracting head knocks, which will lead to increased probability of CTE in retirement, and so should be treated as deadly serious - but it's ignored. Am I missing something here?

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The Blues and the Pies get plenty of frees from the umpires, because they throw there arms up in the air at the slightest contact, ******* cheats

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
1. Why wasn't the Kamdyn incident a free kick? It doesn't matter if it's accidental, as accidental high contact is still a free kick in every other situation excluding marking contests, which this wasn't. Right?
It was a free kick against, wasn't it? For supposedly taking Rampe's legs?

• Angry

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
If there was a free paid against KM then it must have been for below the knees. But the actual free kick was 20 meters downfield when it was taken. The KM DR impact happened 15m outside the 50m arc the free kick was 5m inside.

Ump paid advantage I believe as play carried on and was marked. Haven't watched it back though so thats from memory from at the game.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I call it the Adam Goodes rule, people forget what a sniper he was.
The rule was brought in after Lindsay Thomas nearly crippled Gary Rohan for life. It was a good rule but it is now interpreted completely incorrectly. Umpires, commentators and AFL cronies have no *smile* idea.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
The rule was brought in after Lindsay Thomas nearly crippled Gary Rohan for life. It was a good rule but it is now interpreted completely incorrectly. Umpires, commentators and AFL cronies have no *smile* idea.
I remember it coming in and that it was the Rohan incident that was the catalyst, but Goodes got away with it for years. It was kind of ironic that the incident that brought the rule in involved one of his teammates.