Underground: The Julian Assange Story | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Underground: The Julian Assange Story

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
An excellent start to the Julian Assange story.

If I use the Search engine here, I should be able to find a revue of the book that I posted a couple of years ago.

I remember borrowing the only & original 1995 copy book from the Ballieu Library, Melbourne University, in 2010. Only one other person had read it before me. From the moment I finished reading it, I was captivated.

Well done to all who produced and displayed the series.
Watch and judge, those that he watched.

For those that missed it, you can find it on:
http://ten.com.au/underground.htm

BluesBloke

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2012
Absolute nutcase who should be put in a clear-glass box for all to see...then listen to him whinge about privacy.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
i loved it. i must admit i don't know a lot about the guy.

what do people think about his extradition fight? my feeling is that something about this stinks pretty bad...

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Yes,

The Assange story is also interesting in the light of another story.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/us-outraged-as-uk-denies-hacker-extradition/story-fnb64oi6-1226497660593

THERESA May, the British Home Secretary, risked diplomatic tensions with the US yesterday when she invoked human rights to halt the extradition of the computer hacker Gary McKinnon.

Mrs May delighted Tory backbenchers with Britain's first refusal to extradite a suspect to the US since 2003. Her decision was greeted with dismay in Washington but was praised by those who have campaigned against the allegedly one-sided nature of the extradition agreement.

A US State Department spokeswoman said: "The United States is disappointed by the decision to deny Gary McKinnon's extradition to face long overdue justice in the United States." And a former White House counsel dismissed the reasons as "laughable".

Personally, in the light of this story, Assange has every reason to believe that the US will extradite him from Sweden.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Phantom said:
Personally, in the light of this story, Assange has every reason to believe that the US will extradite him from Sweden.

the swedish only wanna question JA for this 'alleged rape,' correct? so why can't they interview him in th UK or the ecuador embassy?

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Ian4 said:
the swedish only wanna question JA for this 'alleged rape,' correct? so why can't they interview him in th UK or the ecuador embassy?

I think that's the point.

And from Stig Larsson's own writings, one becomes very suspicious of their investigative & legal systems.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
It is a prearranged affair. A show trial is to be used to make an example of Julian Assange. The point is to intimidate other journalists. Intimidation, by the way, is one of the primary purposes for the use of torture around the world. The message to all of us is: This is what will happen to you if you emulate the Wikileaks model. It is a model that is so dangerous because it is so simple: People who obtain sensitive information from their governments or companies transfer that information to Wikileaks, but the whistleblower remains anonymous. The reaction shows how great the threat is perceived to be: Four democratic countries joined forces – the U.S., Ecuador, Sweden and the UK – to leverage their power to portray one man as a monster so that he could later be burned at the stake without any outcry. The case is a huge scandal and represents the failure of Western rule of law. If Julian Assange is convicted, it will be a death sentence for freedom of the press.

Because if investigative journalism is classified as espionage and can be incriminated around the world, then censorship and tyranny will follow. A murderous system is being created before our very eyes. War crimes and torture are not being prosecuted. YouTube videos are circulating in which American soldiers brag about driving Iraqi women to suicide with systematic rape. Nobody is investigating it. At the same time, a person who exposes such things is being threatened with 175 years in prison. For an entire decade, he has been inundated with accusations that cannot be proven and are breaking him. And nobody is being held accountable. Nobody is taking responsibility. It marks an erosion of the social contract. We give countries power and delegate it to governments – but in return, they must be held accountable for how they exercise that power. If we don’t demand that they be held accountable, we will lose our rights sooner or later. Humans are not democratic by their nature. Power corrupts if it is not monitored. Corruption is the result if we do not insist that power be monitored.
Democracy is on its knees.

Reactions: 1 users