Unjustified praise | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Unjustified praise

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
I saw Mark McQueen the other day. He has been in some paddock. A paddock full of Big Macs ;D

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Mark McQueen ??? I was doing some work experience at Richmond some years back, and the club was trialling a few blokes. They ended up having to decide between Mark McQueen and Jim Wynd ex Fitzroy. Now I always thought Mark as big, slow, and generally crap.

Every afternoon during preseason Jim came into the gym and pushed the weights around for about an hour before training. He was one strong little bugger, and was still very fit. I thought he would be dead set, and that he could fill a good back up role to Tony Free etc..However in the clubs stupid wisdom, they redrafted Mark and let him hack around in the two's all year. He returned about 10kg lighter, but was still big, slow and generally crap.

In the end we really missed a player like T Free.

Leeds_Tiger

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Feb 4, 2003
Hoist12 and I saw Alistair Scott bag 10 goals in the twos one day against North at the G. I think this included about 7 in the 3rd quarter including some hangers at the Punt Road end goalsquare. He did anything and everything that day but couldn't translate that into a consistent senior performance.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
I remember watchin stephen Jurica in that draw in 1995 v Essendon at the G. He marked everything that day kicked a couple of goals and looked a million bucks.
After that he could never put it together, briefly tried at Hawthorn but didnt come up to scratch. Shame because it looked like that day we had ourselves a new full forward in the Brian Taylor mould. ;D

H

hackes3

Sorry to bring this up, but Steve O'Dwyer anyone?

A fair ruckman @ Melbourne, he missed the 88 grand final due to suspension.

Jim Stynes subsequently took over as the Ds no. 1 ruckman, and O'Dwyer fell by the wayside, eventually finishing up at Richmond.

What were Richmond thinking when they picked up O'Dwyer?

Seem to recall back in the days of the World of Sport footy panel (circa 1985) Jack Dyer lamenting the fact that Richmond seemed to keep picking up rejects from other clubs.

Jurica was an interesting one. Hawthorn supp listed in 1998. Remembered some of his displays in 95, and was thinking of him as a possible replacement full-forward when Jason Dunstall was injured. What was I thinking? ::)

Also, does anyone know what happened to Stuart Edwards? In early 95 he looked like he could be anything as a key forward. Then he subsequently just disappeared as soon as he came on the scene.

All clubs have stories about players who they thought could have been anything, but never amounted to much.

A

admin

Also, does anyone know what happened to Stuart Edwards? In early 95 he looked like he could be anything as a key forward.
Wouldn't have a clue. I can really only remember one game of Stuey's against North. Pity him and Jurica couldn't keep up the form from that game.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Stu Edwards biggest problem was lack of mobility/speed.

If I remember correctly he suffered some major knee problems which shortened his career.

Clay Sampson ex Adelaide Crows was another trade that turned into a fizzer

M

MARK

I have to agree with some others, Banik was not the dud he was often made out to be and I felt he was probably harshly dropped (remember hearing in the crowd one day someone talking about his terrible lax attitude at training).

Strawbs and Jackson I cringe at the thought. The year before we drafted Jackson I think he was reported for cleaning up one of our players with a knee in the goalsquare (city end), hated him before, hated him more then and yet had to support him....shudder....um actually similar to one.....P. Hudson

The player who let me down most, have you ever tried to remove an iron-number from a training top?.....was Stephen James. Reserves superstar......couldnt produce in the seniors regularly. All the talent but something went wrong.

TigerFury

Eloquent Feral
Dec 19, 2002
Belgrave
I read in an interview once that Terry Wallace admitted it was his own fault he failed at Richmond. He had been sacked from Hawthorn and came to us with nothing but a bag full of sour grapes and a massive chip on his shoulder. After he was asked to move on by Richmond he realised that it was up to him and he was on his last chance at the Bulldogs.

A more recent recruit that had all the spark and crackle of a wet fart was Paul Hudson. What a waste that was! I think nearly everyone knew that it was the end of the line for him at the Bulldogs and that retirement beckoned. Yet we still got him and paraded him around at Coburg for the year.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
When you think of Paul Hudson remember that Paul Medhurst (Fremantle, 20+ goals in debut season) was picked up at selection 56, we traded Hudson for pick 49.

Maltese_Tiger

Glory Days Again
Feb 11, 2003
Australia
One Player that has not been mentioned and should have went on to be a major player for our club was Stephen Ryan.

He had an outstanding first year playing on the wing, he was fast, could take a good grab and kick long goals.

His brother Des Ryan should have also been a good player for our great club.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
One Player that has not been mentioned and should have went on to be a major player for our club was Stephen Ryan.

He had an outstanding first year playing on the wing, he was fast, could take a good grab and kick long goals.

His brother Des Ryan should have also been a good player for our great club.

Welcome to punt road end M_T :).

I reckon Stephen was more talented than Des but like David Bourke could never produce that potential on a regular basis.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Damien Ryan

pick 11 in the 94' draft, rising star nominee and looked to have the goods but like so many tigers lost the plot very quickly.