Unreported COVID situation | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Unreported COVID situation

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Jack Riewoldt and Dylan Grimes have tipped a bucket on the AFL and media over an incident at the team hotel prior to the Port game.

Richmond stars reveal COVID-19 close call in Adelaide hotel during 2020 season (paywalled)​

Richmond players feared they had been exposed to another major COVID-19 protocol breach in August last year when their Adelaide hotel took in a group of homeless people to provide them with emergency accommodation.

In a footy panel show published on YouTube, premiership stars Dylan Grimes and Jack Riewoldt detailed how their hotel lobby was “filled with homeless people” only hours before their Round 11 21-point loss to Port Adelaide last season.

All clubs were under strict rules to avoid any contact with the general public or anyone outside of their bubble, leaving the Tigers’ players shocked to see the other guests at close proximity in their team hotel.

The Herald Sun is not saying the Tigers broke any rules, but instead found themselves caught up in a mix-up which could have potentially forced the group into up to 14 days of hard quarantine and rocked their premiership campaign a month before finals.

The incident happened on August 8, about two weeks after Brooke Cotchin, the wife of Richmond captain Trent Cotchin, broke AFL rules when she visited a Gold Coast beauty salon and put an image on Instagram.

Richmond received a second strike in September when players Sydney Stack and Callum Coleman-Jones left their hub to have a night out on the Gold Coast ending in a fight out the front of a kebab shop.

Grimes described the situation in their Adelaide hotel as “bizarre” and suggested the AFL had kept the incident quiet.

The Tigers had just flown into Adelaide off a four-day break for the game against Port.

“It (hotel) felt like a hospital which had been abandoned. It was really old and it was like, ‘This is weird’,” Grimes said.

“We came down from a meeting or a team walk or something and the hotel lobby was filled with homeless people.

“In Adelaide, if it gets above or below a certain temperature the hotel opens up as a homeless shelter.

“I don’t know how this never got out and the AFL have done an amazing job of covering this up (because) at this stage we were wearing masks coming out of the airport, to the airport, to the bus.

“We weren’t allowed to come into contact with anyone, but next thing you know we were crammed like sardines into a lift.

“We were like ‘How does this happen?’.

“We were so sterile for so long and now we are staying in a homeless shelter right before a game.”

Grimes said he thought the situation would become a big issue given the importance placed on the clubs’ quarantine rules and the players’ and staff safety.

Players left their families to spend up to four months in hubs in Queensland, South Australia and Western Australia to help save the season as Richmond overcame two quarantine breaches to win an extraordinary premiership last year.

“We had just been done for the Brooke Cotchin thing, there was something else, and they (AFL) were all over us,” Grimes said.

“I was like ‘The AFL are going to cop it for this. Sit back and wait and watch the media roll in (because) Richmond was staying in a homeless shelter’ but crickets, (there was) nothing (about it).”

MORE TO COME

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Watched this about a month ago and wondered why the media had not got onto it.... Obviously head office put the screws on them!
Also, Jack sometimes says stuff and you think..... he does know this is being filmed. ... doesn't he ?:rolleyes:
Gave Sam Mitchell a nice old 'drive by' at one point!

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
That video has been online for a month but someone linked to it yesterday on Twitter & before you know it it's on the HUN as some hack is trawling for stories.
TBH I'm really surprised the players are so candid on a show that gets uploaded to Youtube for all to see because we go to plenty of fuctions where we are told to keep things in house when players open up.
Regardless that is a damnation on the AFL. Absolutely crucified us for breaches so glad it's come to light. It's likely us who'll cop the ramifications of it though.

Reactions: 3 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Dylan and Jack doing their best to pay back the AFL for crapping all over our club from a great height last year.

1. Leaking of our requests in the AFL hub
2. Witch hunt against Lynch spear headed by the chief AFL ambulance chaser
3. Gilligan wanting Flossy and Dylan cut down for staging that never occurred
4. Cuts to off-field salary cap which we were vehemently against
5. Getting 10 games suspensions for Stack and CCJ when Sidearse et al got alot less.

About time we threw a punch back. Just proves how hypocritical the AFL actually is. Their mistakes are swept under the carpet while in clubland and our club in particular its open season.

Reactions: 9 users

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Story didnt work, "RFC placed into poor standard accommodation, blah blah." The narrative of the tigers doing it tough just doesn't seem to be news worthy.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I heard about this at the time and as far I as I remember it was no big deal at all.

I think there's a fair bit of mayonnaise being added to the story by these lads.
Well I look forward to the Hyatt opening its doors to the homeless this evening so they can beat the heat. The tennis players will be very understanding. ;)

Not sure what Grimes meant when he said "we were crammed like sardines into a lift". Did players share an elevator with the homeless?

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
The tennis players are in quarantine though, the AFL clubs weren't at that stage.

After the quarantine periods the 'hubs' were just bases and other venues also had general public residents in them. Players were allowed to go into the community anyway and buy take-away food etc. They didn't live in a bubble of purely AFL people the entire time.
So what were the quarantine breaches that Stacky and CCJ got done for if they weren’t in quarantine and just in hubs?
Surely catching an Uber is safer than squashing into elevators with members of the public?

Reactions: 5 users

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
I am sure there were many unreported and/or undetected breaches throughout the season so who cares?

amc11

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2018
So the video's been taken down off YouTube? At whose instigation?
Perhaps Damo from TGFF took it down himself. His shows are for the fans not for the media to find stories. The person who linked it out into the mainstream media may just have ruined it for those of us who are unable to attend in person as the shows may not be placed on youtube anymore.

Reactions: 2 users