Goodbye Mabior Chol | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goodbye Mabior Chol

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
CJ? On his own probably a late first/early second. Perhaps CJ and one of our seconds or the Geelong pick pricks GC's interest, given they've said their first pick is on the table for the right player and the alternative is Sam Weideman.

Of course, CJ would have to go there, and why would he.
No, Chol. What’s his trade value ?

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
The idea of retaining Chol and trading CJ has considerable merit if we can achieve a favourable trade outcome. Hollands from GC would be my ideal trade target.

Cool has no trade value other than the compensation pick afforded to us from the AFL.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I wouldn't trade CJ at all, just sign him up for another 2 years. Why would we trade CJ for an untried player or draft pick after putting the work in for years?

DS

Reactions: 8 users

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005
The idea of retaining Chol and trading CJ has considerable merit if we can achieve a favourable trade outcome. Hollands from GC would be my ideal trade target.

Cool has no trade value other than the compensation pick afforded to us from the AFL.
IMO retaining Chol has no merit under any circumstance.

Reactions: 3 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I wouldn't trade CJ at all, just sign him up for another 2 years. Why would we trade CJ for an untried player or draft pick after putting the work in for years?

DS
Because we might see his ceiling as a good rather than great player, we have depth in his position and believe the player we'll bring in has greater potential.

Hawthorn put years into Croad and McPharlin and traded them for a shot at Hodge. Masterstroke.

Reactions: 1 user

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
What was that scuttlebutt about Balme saying that Soldo was flying?

If Soldo is right to go next year (surprising to me) that moves Mabs back to #3 ruck and he would be looking for an opportunity at #2. And if we keep CJ he's probably already passed Mabs. That would make Mabs #4 ruck. And then if Ryan improves he could pass Chol next year. Mabs then #5 ruck.

As a #3 ruck Mabior is not worth much currency - salary or hypothetical draft choices. I think he would be mad not to look for new opportunities. And if Balme really did say that "Soldo is flying" he is making that very clear to Chol and his management.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Because we might see his ceiling as a good rather than great player, we have depth in his position and believe the player we'll bring in has greater potential.

Hawthorn put years into Croad and McPharlin and traded them for a shot at Hodge. Masterstroke.

Yeah, except I am not seeing depth in tall forwards.

DS

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
CJ? On his own probably a late first/early second. Perhaps CJ and one of our seconds or the Geelong pick pricks GC's interest, given they've said their first pick is on the table for the right player and the alternative is Sam Weideman.

Of course, CJ would have to go there, and why would he.

He knows where the strip clubs are and where to get a good kebab?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Teckor

Tiger Rookie
Nov 7, 2007
So you both reckon a third rounder, or more likely, 4th rounder? Should be able to do a deal with someone…

As a FA Chol would probably fit in the Top 51% - Top 70% (salary say approx. $240 - $400k) band which would be a third round pick = Pick 45.

• Wow

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
I wouldn't say we have depth in his position right now. We have Nanks and we have Soldo who is still only on his comeback trail and we have no idea if he will make it back although we hope so. Then we have a very raw Ryan who is years away. Forget all about Chol. If we consider CJ as a tall forward then we only have Lynch and Reiwoldt who is in the twilight of his career with nothing up and coming in the VFL ranks. So in my view CJ's signature is a must for us to progress

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
What was that scuttlebutt about Balme saying that Soldo was flying?

If Soldo is right to go next year (surprising to me) that moves Mabs back to #3 ruck and he would be looking for an opportunity at #2. And if we keep CJ he's probably already passed Mabs. That would make Mabs #4 ruck. And then if Ryan improves he could pass Chol next year. Mabs then #5 ruck.

As a #3 ruck Mabior is not worth much currency - salary or hypothetical draft choices. I think he would be mad not to look for new opportunities. And if Balme really did say that "Soldo is flying" he is making that very clear to Chol and his management.
Come on, who doesn't need a #5 ruckman?

• Haha

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I wouldn't say we have depth in his position right now. We have Nanks and we have Soldo who is still only on his comeback trail and we have no idea if he will make it back although we hope so. Then we have a very raw Ryan who is years away. Forget all about Chol. If we consider CJ as a tall forward then we only have Lynch and Reiwoldt who is in the twilight of his career with nothing up and coming in the VFL ranks. So in my view CJ's signature is a must for us to progress

I don't think Ryan is as far off as you think. He's nearly 21 (recruited as a mature ager) and if he has a big summer in the gym reckon he will surprise a few next year.

Reactions: 3 users