Vale Geoff Strang! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Vale Geoff Strang!

TigersEatemAlive

Eat'em alive!!!
Sep 25, 2003
Tigerland
Vale Geoff Strang
3:22:34 PM Fri 9 January, 2004
Ron Reiffel
richmondfc.com.au

9/5/1944 to 20/12/2003

How lucky were Richmond supporters during the premiership years of 1967 and 1969. The players of that period were some of the greatest in the club’s 119 year history.

One player who epitomized Richmond’s style was dashing backman Geoff Strang. The sight of Strang running the ball out of defence, and using his beautiful style to send raking drop kicks down to the forwards looked sensational; his play had a large bearing on the club’s success.

Sadly, Geoff Strang passed away at the Merch Hospital in Albury on December 20, 2003. He was only 59.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=130392

rbartlett

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 6, 2003
www.rhettrospective.com
It's disappointing that it took the club nearly one month after his passing to post this on their site, after it was posted on my site a few days after his passing.

Cheers
Rhett Bartlett
www.rhettrospective.com

smoo

The Tiger Roars Again!
Sep 8, 2003
Melbourne
www.techspeak.biz
I'll back you up 110% on that one Rhett. It just isn't good enough. There was a post on PRE over the last few days re the lack of updates on the official club website. I put my 10 cents worth forward. I think the club needs a fair kick up the backside. I remember reading in the Herald Sun of Geoff's passing, and whilst Geoff passed away very close to Christmas, I think it is very poor on the club's part not to ackknowledge it sooner. Even when they have, it is a very short article. Rhett I do remember reading it on your website. I wonder how Geoff's family would have felt about it........

brodders

groovy baby , YYEEAAAHHH
Nov 14, 2003
melbourne
you get the impression that the richmond of the present
dont give a toss for the richmond greats of the past

if it had of been len thompson or twiggy dunne
eddie everywhere would have had a state funeral organised within 24 hours

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
If people think there are a lack of posts of sympathy on this thread about the sad death of Geoff Strang it's because they were posted on other threads on PRE the day after Geoff passed a few weeks ago.
R.I.P. Geoff.

rbartlett

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 6, 2003
www.rhettrospective.com
I know this is a very emotional subject, so I will comment only on the lack of updates on the Richmond website.

The website was updated 3 times betwen Dec 20 - Jan 8th. Those in charge of updating the website with the main information went on holidays one day before or after Geoff's passing.

My disappointment is this. That this man played in two premierships for us, is part of the only father and son to have played in a premiership with Richmond, and the best they can do is a few small paragraphs one month after his passing. Now if it had been someone in our club who is deemed a far greater player (say Dyer), then there would have been updates instantly. To say there were no updates because people were on holiday is unprofessional. Richmond Football Club website should be updated all the time - with news, stories, tidbits, articles - it is supposed to be the official word of the Richmond Football Club.
As for the length of the article, I am surprised the site didn't take the Herald Sun article in the meantime.

Lets hope they learn something from it.
Cheers
Rhett Bartlett
www.rhettrospective.com

CanbTiger

CARN' TIGES!
Oct 6, 2003
Canberra
I find the attacks in this thread disgraceful and surely hurtful to Strang’s family.

Geoff Strang is to be applauded for his time at the RFC and what he achieved beyond. His early death was a tragedy.

Let’s celebrate his life and the wonderful contribution he made in all his activities rather than engage in this petty quibbling.

I accept the Club’s right to close down over the Xmas/ New Year period.

Vale Geoff Strang

rbartlett

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 6, 2003
www.rhettrospective.com
Canbtiger,
Don't misunderstand the purporse of the replies on this thread.
We are merely discussing the delay in the club announcing to the supporters the passing of one its premiership players.
Your comments are with merit.

Regards
Rhett Bartlett.
www.rhettrospective.com

CanbTiger

CARN' TIGES!
Oct 6, 2003
Canberra
rbartlett said:
We are merely discussing the delay in the club announcing to the supporters the passing of one its premiership players.

....And the length of the relevant article evidently.

The posts may have been intended to discuss the Club’s approach to informing supporters of the passing of past players.

Unfortunately, they seemed to imply the RFC's actions may have somehow affronted the Strang family.

If the Club’s recognition for past players is to be debated, then perhaps it would have been better for the discussion to occur in generalist terms.

Using Geoff Strang’s passing as an example in what must be a very difficult time for his family is quite unfeeling in my opinion.

Bulluss

Go the Mighty Tigers
Aug 11, 2003
Melbourne
Rhett,

I have to go with you on this one! I think that it is extremely important that the club takes the website more seriously. I have a close friend who is a computer wizz and he was accessing the website and was finding it it was taking a while to load certain things. Once he looked into a bit apparently the picture files displayed on the page have been reduced incorrectly and were a far greater size than they should be.

He emailed the club and was pointing out the problem to them and also offered his services free of charge to help out. They told him that they now what they are doing and he wasnt required!.

Lift your game RFC!

Rest in peace Geoff Strang

smoo

The Tiger Roars Again!
Sep 8, 2003
Melbourne
www.techspeak.biz
Canb, I have to say I'm 100% with Rhett. As much as you say the club has a right to shut down, we are talking about a multi million dollar professional AFL football club. I don't think anyone is seriously trying to make a political point or paint the club as a bunch of pariahs, merely to say that in this case what has happened wasn't professional. Perhaps my words were poorly chosen re how Geoff's family felt, and I'll wear that. All I am saying is that the club needs to be more professional, and even the most diehard, one eyed Tiger supporter would be the first to admit that professionalism has definitely NOT been a strong trait of the RFC in recent history.

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
I can't let your statements go by without a comment, Canb.

I think you have missed the point of what has been said in this thread.

Sure, the first post was the official RFC acknowledgement of Geoff Strang's passing - and I have no argument with Ron Reiffel, I have had several enjoyable chats with Ron - but I feel the criticisms levelled against RFC and their attitude toward the general Tiger supporters is indicative of what is wrong within the club.

Posted by: smoo Posted on: Yesterday at 10:53:17pm
Canb, I have to say I'm 100% with Rhett. As much as you say the club has a right to shut down, we are talking about a multi million dollar professional AFL football club. . . . All I am saying is that the club needs to be more professional, and even the most diehard, one eyed Tiger supporter would be the first to admit that professionalism has definitely NOT been a strong trait of the RFC in recent history.

Yes, it possibly should be discussed on a more general thread, but I fail to see why the comments made here should distress the Strang family. Perhaps, you're being a little too sensitive.

I have made past comments about the unprofessional approach that RFC has towards its website, and I also agree that we may have been better served if we had gone it alone with our own website.

Thank god [or whoever] for sites like PRE and "rhettrospective" where we can all have our say!

CanbTiger

CARN' TIGES!
Oct 6, 2003
Canberra
Alright- point taken fellas.

I too think there are some issues surrounding the RFC’s professionaliam and it's treatment of past players and long-term fans.

My only wish is that such concerns had been raised in another thread rather than this one that people may click on expecting to find tributes to Geoff Strang (and instead find criticisms of the Club).