Vale Ron Murray aka @LeetoRainestoRoach | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Vale Ron Murray aka @LeetoRainestoRoach

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Around a year ago I made the conscious decision to not engage with Lee on PRE outside football talk. I suspect like a reasonable number of us I had a confused posting relationship with him. Our interaction from then was basically just footy and also on COVID sometimes and was much more positive.
I was always staggered at his ability to pull out stats which to me was actually freakish, never seen anyone get close to it on AFL elsewhere. In a funny way when I read more about him I start to understand his posting a bit more.
Internet forums are strange places in that it is easy to forget that behind all the words we post is a person with a story. Lee had a family and friends who will miss him as a person not just a poster on a forum and losing someone who you are close to at 53 is tough so my sympathies go out to all of them.
The digital world is a strange place when i feel sad about the passing of someone who I only knew as a nameless moniker but such is the world we live in now.

Reactions: 32 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
RIP Legend. You will be missed here.

A link to some nice tributes to his legacy.

Thanks @Leysy Days ..... found this link within one of the tributes to the page on BF for those like myself who rarely venture there.
Some further great sentiments from other family members have been posted and there's one particular post from a fella he worked with which has had a huge response.

Reactions: 6 users

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Really struck by this. Like many I had robust discussions with L2R2R over the years. There have been a few times since 2007 when this place was my only refuge, when it felt the posters here were my only friends. And it feels like I lost a friend today. Vale "Lee".

Reactions: 19 users

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
Thanks @Leysy Days ..... found this link within one of the tributes to the page on BF for those like myself who rarely venture there.
Some further great sentiments from other family members have been posted and there's one particular post from a fella he worked with which has had a huge response.
Do you mean @morell who is also on this forum - he came into contact to confirm Ron's passing. I read his BF post and it gave me some wonderful insight into who he was.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Damn! Crap news to be reading, enjoyed L2R2R's posting n his stats were bloody amazing. Gunna miss the bear in here, his passing leaves a big hole.
Condolences to the family n friends.

Reactions: 5 users

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Around a year ago I made the conscious decision to not engage with Lee on PRE outside football talk. I suspect like a reasonable number of us I had a confused posting relationship with him. Our interaction from then was basically just footy and also on COVID sometimes and was much more positive.
I was always staggered at his ability to pull out stats which to me was actually freakish, never seen anyone get close to it on AFL elsewhere. In a funny way when I read more about him I start to understand his posting a bit more.
Internet forums are strange places in that it is easy to forget that behind all the words we post is a person with a story. Lee had a family and friends who will miss him as a person not just a poster on a forum and losing someone who you are close to at 53 is tough so my sympathies go out to all of them.
The digital world is a strange place when i feel sad about the passing of someone who I only knew as a nameless moniker but such is the world we live in now.
Very good, Sintiger.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Scorewatch Round 23

Year20212020*20192018201720162015201420132012
Round 23 average82.786.291.292.593.993.5100.598.892.6
Round 23 2021 - % above or below-4.0%-9.3%-10.6%-11.9%-11.5%-17.7%-16.3%-10.7%
Round 23 - lowest sinceNULL1992199220152012201320121992
Round 23 - highest since201920182017201620142014NULLNULL2011
Season average to Round 2379.875.780.483.589.588.886.686.592.892.1
Season to Round 23 2021 - % above or below+5.5%-0.8%-4.4%-10.8%-10.1%-7.8%-7.8%-14.0%-13.3%
Season to Round 23 - lowest since2020196519671968201620152014196820122010
Season to Round 23 - highest since2019201920182017201320132013201320112011

A freewheeling final h&a round wasn't enough to push scores up to 2019 level, thus making 2021 the new lowest-scoring h&a season since 1967 (excluding the shortened 2020).

It was also the lowest-scoring of the 13 editions of Round 23, beating 2019 (86.2).

Will put out a final report after the finals. The three lowest-scoring finals series since 1964 have been 2018 (74.0), 2019 (75.1) and 2020 (76.9 pro rata).

It's this kind of posting that will be impossible to replace on here.
He highlighted just how poor a job Steve Hocking has done.

Ron's knowledge was simply incredible.
He's a terrible loss for the Punt Road End forum.
Like others have said I'm just so glad he got to see the recent Premierships.
Sincere condolences to his family & friends.

Reactions: 24 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Despite being diametrically opposed to him on every worldly viewpoint, Lee gave me an insight into perspectives I otherwise wouldn't have had.

In this, he was a champion of many.

His posting on this forum is a testament to his unique strengths, and unequalled by any. He was a stalwart, and PRE institution.

It is a less rich place in his absence.

I feel a genuine loss, and wish him peace.

R. I. P Ron.

Reactions: 25 users

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
I once asked on this forum, many years ago, if Lee was Ron from BF. He said he wasn’t, which was a lie but that is fine. But he did say he knew him and that he was “a good bloke.”

Like many others, Lee wasn’t someone I agreed with on much outside football but he was, if nothing else, well-read and articulate in his replies. Neither of us were *that* rude in our disdain for each other’s non-football stances.

But, that said, he never let his views on non-football matters poison his thoughts on any other topic. We could easily joke about our mutual failures as turf accountants.

I’ve complimented him earlier on his knowledge of stats and was heartened by Rhett’s post on BF where Lee apparently declined to take credit when his stats would end up in print. Total kudos for this.

His love for the club was evident but his disdain for the AFL administration is what I enjoyed most about his posts. He loved the game and our club but hated those who ran it and for many of the changes they made.

I never knew him but thought he was older. I’m so glad he got to see this halcyon period.

I’ll miss many things he posts (not all, obviously) but who else is going to step up to do the rather meaningless but still interesting weekly average height/weight/age breakdown? I’m not sure it didn’t mean much but I’d look forward to it each week.

I’ll have a plate of Nandos (or flake) in his honour in the coming days.

Reactions: 23 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Do you mean @morell who is also on this forum - he came into contact to confirm Ron's passing. I read his BF post and it gave me some wonderful insight into who he was.
Yes @Mr T. .... was a great post and just goes to show we know very little of eachother and to respect our differing opinions.
I did have a chuckle at the thought of him at the PRE ..... trudging off to the TAB when the tigers were playing like crap!

Reactions: 3 users

Sammy Cougar

Goodness Gracious me The Tigers have got Another
Staff member
Mar 6, 2004
Sad news to hear to lose a Tiger Member
My Condolences to Ron’s family & friends

Reactions: 7 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Like all of us during the dark times when the Tiges were in the wilderness for way too long, Ron would have copped a heap of ribbing from his cricket mates, work colleagues and opposition supporters.
I'm so glad that Ron got to enjoy our recent successes, I have no doubt he would have let them all know about it. He would have given it back to them in spades, and then some !!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Terrible news. Just a cough. Life is so fleeting.

I adore hearing these stories about him. People are fascinating, everyone has a story, everyone brings joy to something, to someone. Ron left a impact on many he met and many he didn’t, like me.

People are good, be kind. RIP.

Reactions: 21 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I, like many others, disagreed with Ron’s political views, but respected his footballing ones, and as I’ve said, was in awe of his statistical ability. It is heartening to know that the club gave him 3 recent Premierships and much joy in his final years. I, too thought he was older than he actually was. I’m a couple of years his senior.

Reactions: 5 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
LTRTR

you will be sadly missed - I for one loved how you would answer my questions on footy stats quickly without fuss - you were always close and willing to share your deep knowledge of our much loved tigers. You did it without fanfare or seeking credit - you were just LTRTR and you were one of us. I loved reading your political and social views that you posted with passion. Whilst we clearly sat in different tents, I was much more richer for reading your posts, we all need to hear different viewpoints - I will miss those to.

The fact that the tigers are just a footy club, playing a game, but in reality the club is so much more with immense power in the way it pulled so many people together from all walks of life. We all bring ourselves to a common bond.

For the first time, I now realise that on-line connections are the same - PRE - that over time it is more than a posting site, we are so much more - the final lesson LTRTR has shown me.

RIP

Reactions: 24 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I once asked on this forum, many years ago, if Lee was Ron from BF. He said he wasn’t, which was a lie but that is fine. But he did say he knew him and that he was “a good bloke.”

Like many others, Lee wasn’t someone I agreed with on much outside football but he was, if nothing else, well-read and articulate in his replies. Neither of us were *that* rude in our disdain for each other’s non-football stances.

But, that said, he never let his views on non-football matters poison his thoughts on any other topic. We could easily joke about our mutual failures as turf accountants.

I’ve complimented him earlier on his knowledge of stats and was heartened by Rhett’s post on BF where Lee apparently declined to take credit when his stats would end up in print. Total kudos for this.

His love for the club was evident but his disdain for the AFL administration is what I enjoyed most about his posts. He loved the game and our club but hated those who ran it and for many of the changes they made.

I never knew him but thought he was older. I’m so glad he got to see this halcyon period.

I’ll miss many things he posts (not all, obviously) but who else is going to step up to do the rather meaningless but still interesting weekly average height/weight/age breakdown? I’m not sure it didn’t mean much but I’d look forward to it each week.

I’ll have a plate of Nandos (or flake) in his honour in the coming days.

Good stuff Scotty. He was certainly at the forefront at uniting PRE in our disdain for the AFL, Hocking and even Geelong. Most of us blubberred about it emotionally but he he could back it up with stats and facts too.

Reactions: 12 users