Vale Ron Murray aka @LeetoRainestoRoach | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Vale Ron Murray aka @LeetoRainestoRoach

jesstigers

Tiger Cub
Nov 19, 2021
Just saw this thread now (will read through all the pages later), and I’m flabbergasted. RIP to Ron and condolences to his family.

I never met him, but I have a story about him.

Leading up to the 2019 GF, I asked around PRE to see if I could land a ticket for my mate. Lee PM’ed me and offered up a ticket for him. Then on the morning of the GF, my mate had a fall and broke his hip and couldn’t attend the game. Lee was good about it and I was happy and thankful he was able to give it to someone else.

We all have our political ideals, and Lee and I had our fair share of arguments. But I believe the mark of a man is someone you can still be friends with, even if you disagree with their politics. And we live in a time where political volatility has never been higher (at least not in my lifetime).

I mean, it’s a bit hard to say Lee and I were friends because we only chatted on an online forum, but offering the GF ticket to my mate, despite our political differences, told me a lot about the type of person he was. And I respected that.

We will all miss his brilliant stats keeping. LTRTR is/was an irreplaceable member of PRE. His contributions will be sadly missed.
Just saw this thread now (will read through all the pages later), and I’m flabbergasted. RIP to Ron and condolences to his family.

I never met him, but I have a story about him.

Leading up to the 2019 GF, I asked around PRE to see if I could land a ticket for my mate. Lee PM’ed me and offered up a ticket for him. Then on the morning of the GF, my mate had a fall and broke his hip and couldn’t attend the game. Lee was good about it and I was happy and thankful he was able to give it to someone else.

We all have our political ideals, and Lee and I had our fair share of arguments. But I believe the mark of a man is someone you can still be friends with, even if you disagree with their politics. And we live in a time where political volatility has never been higher (at least not in my lifetime).

I mean, it’s a bit hard to say Lee and I were friends because we only chatted on an online forum, but offering the GF ticket to my mate, despite our political differences, told me a lot about the type of person he was. And I respected that.

We will all miss his brilliant stats keeping. LTRTR is/was an irreplaceable member of PRE. His contributions will be sadly missed.
Ron’s youngest sister here. He searched around and got that extra ticket originally for me, I missed out on 2017, but he didn’t tell me he was getting it, and a friend had already gotten me one with them. He was a kind hearted big brother and though he and I had a few political disagreements too, he ALWAYS listened to what I had to say (then told me what he thought).

• Love
Reactions: 15 users

jesstigers

Tiger Cub
Nov 19, 2021
Ron was one of 4 children, he has 3 younger sisters, I’m the youngest.

Thank you for the flowers for my mum, she appreciated them very much.

Thank you to everyone for their kind and honest words. Ron may have disagreed with many of you on political issues, he and I had a few discussions over the years. He was always respectful when I was talking, and intelligent in his response, even if I didn’t agree.

He was an intriguing man, extremely intelligent, kind, funny and respectful; quiet at family gatherings, except around the kids, then he became a big kid himself! He was a loved son, brother, uncle, friend and more.

He was a gentle giant, except at the football! He had his views on the game and could spin anyone in circles with his stats (not that he showed off to family much, we knew he was extraordinarily with his stats, but not to the degree we are now finding out).

Ron was also a life member of his cricket club, and a well respected player over the years, playing over 250 games, as well as a friend. He had many friends through the cricket club and work, and various places, being much more a social man than we thought!

He worked hard at his job… I was never exactly sure what…. Data stuff for a big telco, he did explain to me a few times but it went over my head.

Ron shared a love of Richmond with his family, we are all tigers supporters and I hope the last few years gave him as much happiness as he had in 1980 with our dad.

Thanks again to all those with kind words.

• Love
Reactions: 70 users

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
Ron’s youngest sister here.
I was going to read all the comments first and post a thank you to everyone, but I came across yours and had to reply.
You made me chuckle, which is very hard right now. I used to visit Ron at half time at the G with my son. We would only stop for a few minutes and chat to him, then go back to our seats to watch the game, due to his loud (and at times, not family friendly, voice). He was a true gentle giant, except of you watched the footy with him!
I'm pleased I gave you a chuckle.

I was actually jealous of his voice. I would yell out a few time and get a sore throat. Ron could go all day...maybe he warmed up before a game :)

Going to the footy and having a good yell is actually a good stress reliever. I can't think of another place where you can yell your lungs out and not be hauled away by 2 guys in white.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Yep yelling at the umps on a weekly basis is good therapy from the build up of stress from the wife kids and work during the week.

Reactions: 3 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
A few years ago Lee and I had a massive row about politics and Rosy all but banned us both from PRE.

We had no one on PRE but each other’s private messages for a period of time and came out the sin bin laughing, enjoying each others posts even more.

A man after my own heart. Will be missed.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 21 users

rensman

interpreter to the stars...
May 6, 2004
North Eastern Victoria
feel bad that i've never got around to posting what i've thought in my head until now (nearly 2 decades on PRE) - Ron is /was my favorite poster here, i'm not just saying that because of this tragic season.... RIp

Reactions: 10 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
feel bad that i've never got around to posting what i've thought in my head until now (nearly 2 decades on PRE) - Ron is /was my favorite poster here, i'm not just saying that because of this tragic season.... RIp
I describe the significance by saying that if I was asked to blindly reel off the names of as many PRE posters as I could think of as quick as I could, L2R2R would definitely have been in the first two.
No prizes for guessing who the other one is.

Reactions: 4 users

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
Lee and I certainly crossed swords, we would never agree on a whole raft of issues. While stating this obvious observation needs to be done I'm not going to dwell on it. We both posted because we are passionate about our concerns and our positions on issues. I may not have liked his positions on a fair number of issues, but I have mountains more respect for those who do have passionate positions on topics they care about.

Stats? What can you say, he was clearly running his own database and had a great knowledge of stats. Anyone can download a pile of stats, few actually understand it all enough to see the patterns and work out what matters and doesn't. His work on this was invaluable.

Always liked his disdain for the AFL and SHocking, the game needs a whole army of people trying to keep those bastards honest. The rest of us will just need to keep looking for all the faults of the various rule changes.

We may have disagreed on a lot but we will all miss him, our passion for the Tigers is what keeps us all together.

DS
Anyone who hates Steve Hocking that much has just gone up in my books.

Will miss those amazing stats big fella. R.I.P.

Reactions: 3 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
L2R2R in Yellow & Black until the very end.
ron1.png

Reactions: 33 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Still can't believe this. So sudden. I can't go to funerals. My Dad's was bad enough....
Over the past 12 years I've had to go to the funerals of my dad, my sister and the fathers of both of my best men (who both treated me like a son after my folks divorced).......funerals have become a little too familiar. They never get any easier to sit through.

• Sad
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
No no no no no!

It cant be. I’ve just come back here after a while off and am only just reading this. I can’t believe it. I’ve been here since 2003 and over that time he’s been like a touchstone. A reliable constant. L2R2R has been one of my favourite posters throughout all of that time.

A couple of threads in particular he felt like a team mate battling the same foe were the Essendon drug thread and the Blight saves/wrecks the game thread. His Blight watch posts were just great.
I entered a debate on an open thread with him on an issue and it was done respectfully, thought provokingly and open mindedly. I think we both got plenty out of it.

I consider him one of the most important contributors of all the time I’ve been here.

My own rudimentary knowledge of football, team structure and analysis is so much better having read some key posters here and he stands as tall as any in that respect. He opened my eyes to what makes premiership teams. As others have said, his stats were mind boggling. His perspective on the game and teams was simply awesome and I am indebted for that education. Thank you Lee (Ron).

I’m incredibly saddened by this terrible news. My sympathy and condolences to his family and friends.

• Love
Reactions: 20 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Did he talk about sharks on here ? He was into Valerie and Ron Taylor shows when he was younger.
Sharks thread on the GENERAL board.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Its fair to say that he wrote heaps on sharks and provided copious amounts of information

Reactions: 1 user

Barbieup

Tiger Cub
Nov 13, 2021
Yes! And when things got off topic, he'd pop up with another report of an attack. We all know the difference between provoked and unprovoked, and to beware of the shallows. Especially on a Saturday for some people!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Yes! And when things got off topic, he'd pop up with another report of an attack. We all know the difference between provoked and unprovoked, and to beware of the shallows. Especially on a Saturday for some people!
I no longer swim on a Saturday due to Ron's statistically backed advice. Not even in the backyard pool.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users