VFL Round 1 v Southport | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

VFL Round 1 v Southport

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Great signs by all the new draftees. Sonsie all class, will be better when surrounded by better players you'd think. Clarke very good second half. Brown just looks a 200-game lock, and I can see he and Banks on opposite HBFs for years.

MoJu, Cumbo, Biggie, Mansell and Stack all good.

Martyn, Caddy, RCD, not so much.
Mostly agree. RCD wasn’t too bad. Tackling was very good and defensive pressure. Just don’t think he will be a clearance mid unfortunately.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Positives:

Judson Clarke looked good.
Brown and Sonsie didn't get it alot but looked classy when they did get it.
Cumberland & RCD look senior ready
Biggy is going to be a beast as a defender in the next few years

Negatives:

Our fitness is woeful. We had AFL listed players cramping in the 3rd qtr and looked completely shot by the end of the 3rd. Its the same with the senior team. Completely unacceptable.
Martyn is going backwards as is Caddy
Some of our VFL top up players aren't good enough
Smashed in the clearances
Did I mention fitness - F me it was frustrating.

Reactions: 1 user

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Nice play by Sonsie there. Poise, vision and skill.

Sonz will get weeks for a late high hit in the last for mine, (don't think he got reported on the spot), will be surprised if he doesn't get picked up on review

• Sad

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
Certainly is, I played with his old man.

He's on our Covid list and I spoke to someone from Richmond by chance during the week and they said a couple of the coaches are very keen to take him mid year. Apparently feel like he is ideally suited to the role we like on the wing, a McIntosh with better skills.
Cheers. I can't place him but a mate was talking local footy with me today and I thought he mentioned him. The last few years a lot of best local kids are heading up to play in Bendigo because Castlemaine FC is a basket case. So I don't get to see them as much as I used to..

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Certainly is, I played with his old man.

He's on our Covid list and I spoke to someone from Richmond by chance during the week and they said a couple of the coaches are very keen to take him mid year. Apparently feel like he is ideally suited to the role we like on the wing, a McIntosh with better skills.
Now you’ve done it, he’s off to Essendon

• Haha

gehring

Tiger Rookie
Oct 16, 2006
Sonsie was reported on the spot, happened in front of me. On the replay you an see umpire replacing his pencil in his sock after talking to Sonsie. Looked bad on the ground not so on the replay just a late round arm to the head.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Sonz will get weeks for a late high hit in the last for mine, (don't think he got reported on the spot), will be surprised if he doesn't get picked up on review

Luckily got away with a fine happened right in front of me and were sure he would cop a couple.

Last edited:

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015

Feb 25, 2007
Richmond VFL coach Steve Morris provides a summary of how the Tigers’ players performed in last Sunday's 31-point Round 1 win over Southport.

Tyler Sonsie (20 disposals, five inside-50s, three clearances, one goal)

"His game was a really solid one on the back of his defence, and then he was able to impact offensively as well."

Rhyan Mansell (19 disposals, seven marks, seven rebound-50s)

"Got back to his ruthless best, his desperation was on show for everyone to see and he got involved offensively too."

Judson Clarke (18 disposals, seven inside-50s, four clearances, one goal)

"Continues to improve, he's getting more involved offensively each week and kicked a sensational goal from outside 50m."

Maurice Rioli Jnr (18 disposals, nine tackles, three inside-50s, one goal)

"Found a lot of the footy on the weekend. His pressure and tackling was outstanding and he took a fantastic overhead mark in the forward line and hit the scoreboard."

Riley Collier-Dawkins (15 disposals, 13 tackles four inside-50s, three clearances, one goal)

"Huge improvement in his defence on the weekend with 13 tackles. It was a great starting point to put in a really solid performance on the weekend."

Noah Cumberland (14 disposals, six tackles, six inside-50s, two goals)

"Hit the scoreboard once again for us and was good overhead, he competes really hard when the ball is in his area."

Josh Caddy (12 disposals, three inside-50s, two marks)

"Hurt his hamstring in the third quarter unfortunately but he led the boys really well on the day."

Tom Brown (11 disposals, five marks, four tackles, three rebound-50s)

"Tom's overhead marking stood out. His one-on-one defence was really good and he continues to improve areas of his game that he's focusing on."

Samson Ryan (11 disposals, 24 hit-outs, five clearances, four marks)

Had a big job up against an experienced ruckman and really battled hard on the day. He continues to have a big impact in the air and is getting better every week.

Will Martyn (11 disposals, three tackles, three rebound-50s, three marks)

"Over the past couple of weeks (in practice matches), Will has gone back at times and he looks really comfortable there. He has great attention to detail and his physicality has been a standout."

Sydney Stack (11 disposals, four marks, three tackles, two goals)

"Started down back and approached the game really positively. He then swung forward and not only did he hit the scoreboard, but he put immense pressure on up forward."

Sam Banks (10 disposals, two marks, one goal)

"It was fantastic to see Sam out playing for the first time in a long time. He played his wing role superbly and kicked his first goal in the Yellow and Black."

Bigoa Nyuon (eight disposals, four marks)

"Had a really positive game. He impacted in the air with big spoils and also took a couple of impressive intercept marks."

Feb 25, 2007

Richmond player Tyler Sonsie has been charged by the VFL's Match Review Panel following the VFL Tigers' Round 1 win last Sunday.

The Match Review Panel charged Sonsie for striking Southport player Max Pescud during the fourth quarter of the VFL Round 1 Match between Richmond and Southport on Sunday, 27 March at the Swinburne Centre.

Based on the available video evidence and medical report, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct with Low Impact and High Contact. The incident was classified as a one (1) match sanction as a first office.

Sonsie has accepted a $500 fine (AFL Listed) and a reprimand with an early guilty plea