VFL Round 20 V Esserdun | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

VFL Round 20 V Esserdun

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
RCD: Very good in the clinches today, maybe his best game to date?.
CCJ: Bloody sensational i thought.
Balta: Defense experiment abandoned today, back to forward/ruck played very well, (could it be that they need more rucking options in the mix given serious doubts on Nank?)
KMac: Saved us time and again in defense late so serviceable game.
Butler: Hmm, frustrating moments but in the end good game and 2 goals
Naish: Had good numbers but not as clean as usual.
Towner: If Towner wasn't hated by the umpires he would go close to the Liston Trophy I reckon, (as good a season as Miles had last year IMO)
English: Played midfield and 2 goals, like him at this level, not sure if he has the scope to make it at the next level.
Stack: The kick in the bum was having its effect until it all ended with his ankle injury.
Marlion: See you in 2020 after a full AFL pre-season.

Reactions: 6 users

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Great win!!!

The boys fought right to the end which when you think about it they really didnt need to considering we already have the ladder sewn up.

CCJ, Towno, Naish, Balta, English and Coffield were all great.

Towno put on some crunching hits.

It is really scary to think what kind of player Balta might be in 2-3 years time.

Pickett looked more comfortable in the middle in the last quarter and almost took mark of the year but apart from that he was non competitive. He always poistioned as an outside option and was happy to play the support role all game instead of getting his hands dirty like his teamates. In the first quarter huddle he was having his finger restrapped. Maybe he had problems with it and was gun shy all day. Whatever the reason he was looked vastly inferior to the previous weeks.

Stack was good but came off with a rolled ankle :(

Callum Moore took his eyes off the ball which caused him to drop some very gettable marks. Maybe this is why he struggles to make the grade. If he had of stayed focused on the ball and not the incoming contact, he would take those marks!

Turner is a running machine so is English. They are everywhere men. English especially is not afraid to mix it up when it is his turn. I'm warming to him.

CCJ was brilliant!!! Mobile and Strong.

I like Markov up forward too. His defence there is manic and he always manages to catch players off guard with his speed.

Aarts and Soldo out.

All up, a great win today especially in front of a very parochial Bummer crowd.

GO TIGES!!!

PS: The All Blacks are giving the Wallabies a rugby lesson!!! 31 nil with 10 min to go.
PPS: hows that Bears... I mean Broncos.... I mean Lions - Cats match!!! ;)
Some interesting points in that report which will obviously be open to conjecture by some more learned than I.

But the take away point is that neither Pickett nor Stack is a September option?

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
Some interesting points in that report which will obviously be open to conjecture by some more learned than I.
But the take away point is that neither Pickett nor Stack is a September option?

After today, probably no September action for them but VFL Finals are around the corner and who knows whats to come.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Balta clear BOG. Menadue, Naish, Egg and Kmac all good.

Balta definite BOG to half time but only 5 or so disposals after half time where CCJ took on more of the ruck duties. But 19 disposals, 28 hit-outs, 8 towering marks and a goal, CCJ was just outstanding. Very consistent 4 quarter game.

Reactions: 4 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
Balta definite BOG to half time but only 5 or so disposals after half time where CCJ took on more of the ruck duties. But 19 disposals, 28 hit-outs, 8 towering marks and a goal, CCJ was just outstanding. Very consistent 4 quarter game.

I agree he was good.

I thought Baltas work in the midfield, not just tap outs, but bullocking, pulling the ball out of the ruck and distributing, and his break away running was huge. I was also really impressed by his defensive work, tackling, smothering and second efforts. Don't know about the stats, but I thought he was the most influential player on the ground.

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
It was a good day at Windy Hill. The bombers had a lot of fans who would qualify for help from the NDIS around the *smile* Reynolds stand end which made it good fun.

I thought CCJ/Balta were both really good and must be putting pressure on Chol.

McIntosh was really good on the second half. Stack was brilliant in the first half before he hurt himself.

Naish, Turner and English provided a lot of run. Turner is a good overlap runner but still need a to improve his work on the contest.

Butler was a lot better although he almost seems to be letting players beat him to the ball at times so he can tackle them.

RCD was good in the contest. Just needs to accumulate some easy ball as well.

Miller really struggled. Took one strong mark and goal but I think that might have been his only touch.

Markov is battling but I think he has a contract for next year.

Towner cracked in like he always does. He hits hard.

Craig Cameron was there watching so there might be some more trades with the gold coast coming up.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
End the Balta farce.

I've said it a few times, CuJo will be past Choldo by R1 next year and is already ahead of Chol.

KMac surprisingly good as a defender, particularly when the heat was on at the end.

Egg neat. Pickett poor. Garth solid.

RCD growing: needs 18 months for strength and running capacity.

Generally a scrappy game though, with Balta and CuJo the headline acts.

Reactions: 2 users

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
End the Balta farce.

I've said it a few times, CuJo will be past Choldo by R1 next year and is already ahead of Chol.

KMac surprisingly good as a defender, particularly when the heat was on at the end.

Egg neat. Pickett poor. Garth solid.

RCD growing: needs 18 months for strength and running capacity.

Generally a scrappy game though, with Balta and CuJo the headline acts.
The way Callum Coleman - Jukes is going, he will have gone past all our ruckmen by round 1 next year.

8 Marks. It felt like he took 16, possibly because there were so many big pack grabs at important times in the game. I'm not sure whether the powers that be haparked CCJ for now with the aim of doing some more work on his body and ruck craft over summer, and then unleash him, but jeesh, he gets involved around the ground.

In that respect he is miles in front of Balta and Chol, but his finishing in the forward line does need some work compared to the other two.

I'd be happy to see him selected ahead of Soldo as it stands right now. He'd probably get buffeted around a bit in ruck contests, but he wouldn't get out marked around the ground too often.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Balta's kick that was marked on the line by Miller must have been close to a 70+ metre drop punt. He let go about 20m outside the 50 and had it not been marked, it would have cleared the line by probably a metre or 2.

Luke English reminds me if Michael McKenna, maybe the in and under nature of his game and the helmet. When i see him get the ball, i expect his kicks to go 20m like McKenna's but seems to have good penetration. There's not much flashy about him, but he gets involved and gets the ball moving in our direction. Seems to hit the scoreboard regularly too.

We've done well for mids with the last draft. Jack Ross, Luke English and Fraser Turner. Stack of inside, and along with Naish coming through a stack of outside.

Markov made a couple of great smothers. I wouldn't mind seeing him in our forward line. Was a bit quieter this week, and spent time down back it seems, but he'd be another hit up option on the lead, competes in the air and is capable to small man pressure.

Towner was just Towner. Picking up stack of the ball and bowling guys over left right and centre. On form he deserves a call up as much as anyone.

Funny to think that prior to the season starting, our depth was being questioned.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
CCJ was the best contested mark in his draft pool. He has seriously good hands. A ruck that can go forward and clunk marks is exciting.

Luke english is impressive. Has clean and quick hands in tight, massive tank and hard at it. A bit of Lambert about him.

Balta was bog and should be in the side. Chols last chance today to keep his spot imo.

With Stack going down and Pickett struggling for form, its opened up a bit for towner and aarts who are next in line if we get an injury to a mid or small fwd.

Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
So that’s it for the H@A games for Richmond (and 4 other teams who have a bye, what a shambles).

So I guess we,ll be playing week 1 of the finals August 30?

rensman

interpreter to the stars...
May 6, 2004
North Eastern Victoria
I agree he was good.

I thought Baltas work in the midfield, not just tap outs, but bullocking, pulling the ball out of the ruck and distributing, and his break away running was huge. I was also really impressed by his defensive work, tackling, smothering and second efforts. Don't know about the stats, but I thought he was the most influential player on the ground.
Well put And i agree