VFL Round 5 - Richmond vs Carlton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

VFL Round 5 - Richmond vs Carlton

clown

Tiger Superstar
Mar 16, 2004
Was a great team effort. Defence stood up time after time when Carlton threatened. Some great efforts all round

Reactions: 1 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Thanks Freezer.
Didn't see any of this match or other Vfl matches.

How does this crop of young kids differ from others past?
Would be fascinated in an explanation.

Bear in mind there have been many examples of guys looking good at this level only to fail higher up the chain.

Eg Cleve Hughes
Luke McGuane
Stuart Edwards
Jakey Aarts.

Also can anyone post a final score update with stats similar to what was posted in page 2.

Cheers.
Looks like there might be some changes next week.

Here's the website summary @theglove3 :

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Caddy must have re-injured himself very early, i didn't even know he played but shows on stat sheet with 1 possession in the 1st.

Cumberland didn't play after being named.

Reactions: 1 user

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Could only watch the 13 minute highlight package. Stack looked good, as did MRJ and Mansell.

How did Biggie go?

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
How did Biggie go?
I thought Biggie was disappointing really:

1) there was a no tackle on Blues ruckman De-Koning in the 1st,
2) there was a smart-arse not getting back off the mark to take his kick, rather tries to stooge the Carlton player and umpire with a dummy handball to try and draw a 50, umpire calls play on and Biggie embarrasses himself by turning it over by foot.
3) An undisciplined 50 after slinging a Carlton player over the boundary line after he had marked it.

Having said that not sure who his direct opponent was and if they had much influence.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
MRJ and Stack seemed to have good connection. I think they should come into the 1sts as midfield fwd combo.

ryan

Tiger Rookie
Jul 30, 2005
MRJ and Stack seemed to have good connection. I think they should come into the 1sts as midfield fwd combo.
Mansell clearly best.

Stack, Rioli and Soldo all very good.

Caddy - hammy in first 10 minutes

Cumberland sore and didnt play

Some of the VFL boys up back were very good

Reactions: 5 users

ryan

Tiger Rookie
Jul 30, 2005
Mansell clearly best.

Stack, Rioli and Soldo all very good.

Caddy - hammy in first 10 minutes

Cumberland sore and didnt play

Some of the VFL boys up back were very good
Aarts also very good but most likely his level

Feb 25, 2007
I would say our best 5 were Stack, Rioli Jnr, Mansell, Lambert and Aarts
Next best, RCD, Banks, Clarke, Soldo and Martyn.

Stack has to come in and replace Parker, played a very good game, and willed himself in every contest.
MRJ is so crafty around contests, seems to always weave his way out. Love his pressure too, 7 tackles.
Lambert backed up from last week's impressive performance, a definite in I say, as well as Macintosh.

Stack, Rioli Jnr, Lambert and Macca provide running power, speed and skill.

Aarts I've seen enough, I know what he does at AFL level, we need to give guys like Stack, MRJ, RCD, and Mansell their chance again when form warrants it.

Reactions: 4 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
6 minute highlights show Stacky, Judz and Mozza as the BOGs. Great midfield playing by Stacky. Get him in!

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2007
For those who weren't able to watch the game, here's the matchday article with a 6 min highlight's video of the game.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
So so Scoop, 18 disposals, 4 clearances and 1 tackle. He has had better games.
watched the highlights only but he had a few ordinary moments that lead to Blues goals. Philps breaks free from a stoppage to kick his 2nd, then in the last the blues win the centre clearance and Sonsie tracks back and hesitates over a loose ball. Noticeably his opponent had made the previous contest.
Cant read into highlights but he could be tiring and need a rest.
The initial energy and excitement of the season will have worn off. Tough for young kids

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Could only watch the 13 minute highlight package. Stack looked good, as did MRJ and Mansell.

How did Biggie go?
Completely lost. Watching this game in isolation, it's actually hard to believe he was drafted.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
And did you know that Carlton are undefeated, must’ve said it at least half a dozen times.

And did you know @tigerman that Liam Stocker had it 35 times last week? that may have been mentioned every time he got one of his ONLY 11 possessions this week :rolleyes: :)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
For those who saw them game what about MRJ? I only saw the highlights but he was fantastic in those. Great tackling and pressure and used the ball well.