VIC Lockdown Alternative Venues | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

VIC Lockdown Alternative Venues

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Someone wrote here last week that tickets to a game in Tassie last week were $66. If that was the price they were charging then no surprise they lacked a crowd. If they price tickets at a reasonable amount I would think they would easily get crowds in Tassie. This is where the media need to do some research when there is a small crowd, was it because of factors other than disinterest?

DS

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Someone wrote here last week that tickets to a game in Tassie last week were $66. If that was the price they were charging then no surprise they lacked a crowd. If they price tickets at a reasonable amount I would think they would easily get crowds in Tassie. This is where the media need to do some research when there is a small crowd, was it because of factors other than disinterest?

DS
Another note, I expected that the North vs Lions game in Hobart might struggle from a bit of a double whammy. Although it would naturally draw more than the North vs GWS game (there is some legacy Fitzroy support down here), it still wouldn't hold massive appeal. And given the popularity of the Launceston fixture between Ess & Haw, I expected that this will draw quite a few from people from Hobart that may have gone to the North vs Bris game as neutral observers.

But turns out I'm not entirely correct. A friend trying to buy tickets to the North vs Bris game tells me that reserved seating is very slim pickings. So seems to be selling fairly healthily. I do note however, that a large section of Bellerive is standing area general admin. So people often snap up the reserved seating quite quickly and aren't prepared to go at all if it meant standing on the hill. Means you end up with a full crowd in the seating and low numbers elsewhere in the ground, meaning nowhere near capacity.

Reactions: 1 user

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
What is it with Crochrane from the Suns - does he have more time on his hands now given his IEC business is now in the hands of the receivers - he is dead set against a Tassie team yet Hobart, whilst it had its smallest crowd to an AFL game for years (3,800 odd to a lolnorf v Giants game) it was still twice as many as the gold coast had to a game relocated there earlier this year (1,200 odd) which he conveniently forgot to mention whilst criticised the crowd numbers in Hobart. The Tassie game was twilight game which suit the tv but not in Tasmanian in the middle of winter.

Great the Tassie Premier came out saying…..
"I can understand him not being positive on a Tasmanian team for a couple of reasons. For one, I think we'd flog them. In fact, most people do," Mr Gutwein said.

"More importantly, he relies on the largesse of the AFL for his club's survival.

"We've put forward a business case that requires nowhere near as much subsidy as the Gold Coast Suns receive."

Cochrane seems to be lashing out at everyone in the AFL at the moment.

Reactions: 1 users

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
What is it with Crochrane from the Suns - does he have more time on his hands now given his IEC business is now in the hands of the receivers - he is dead set against a Tassie team yet Hobart, whilst it had its smallest crowd to an AFL game for years (3,800 odd to a lolnorf v Giants game) it was still twice as many as the gold coast had to a game relocated there earlier this year (1,200 odd) which he conveniently forgot to mention whilst criticised the crowd numbers in Hobart. The Tassie game was twilight game which suit the tv but not in Tasmanian in the middle of winter.

"I can understand him not being positive on a Tasmanian team for a couple of reasons. For one, I think we'd flog them. In fact, most people do," Mr Gutwein said.

"More importantly, he relies on the largesse of the AFL for his club's survival.

"We've put forward a business case that requires nowhere near as much subsidy as the Gold Coast Suns receive."

Well we don’t even need to look as far as the two plastic franchise clubs to see clubs not financially viable in their own right.

There are a few VIC clubs who are actually cross subsided by the overall ‘AFL product’ and a considerable amount who have at least been at various times. As have the Lions, Swans and Port. Plus a lot of clubs often have had the benefit of the taxpayer teat contributing to works on the training grounds and hubs.

I cringe each time I hear the tired old cliche, “But a Tasmanian team wouldn’t be financially viable,” even in self deprecating fashion from your average person in the street in Tasmania. It means they are easily persuaded by the AFL disingenuously stating the same thing. It’s such a shallow, ill thought out statement. It demonstrates a very abstract misunderstanding and/or misrepresentation of how the whole AFL system is funded.

As Nick Riewoldt stated. It doesn’t come down to whether a Tasmanian team is financially viable in its own right. This is largely a mute point. It comes down to the AFL’s choice of if they want a Tasmanian team or not. Or if they would prefer to fund clubs like St.Kilda, Dogs, GCS, GWS, Melbourne etc.

Last edited:

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The AFL needs the two NSW and two QLD teams for market penetration and TV dollars. But it could shed a few Vic deadweights. St Kilda is a tragedy of a club the drunken spoken word artists love to romanticise over their mulled wine and forced metaphors. You couldn't contrive to be that unsuccessful. (It's like trying to save the panda when they're too lazy to even screw. There are animals that want to live, dammit!) Useless, pedo-protecting failure factory. *smile* 'em off.

Norf. A couple of flags each for the two preceding generations and still no one cares. Have you been to North Melbourne? It's not a suburb, it's a block. They should no more have a big league footy team than their own currency.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The AFL needs the two NSW and two QLD teams for market penetration and TV dollars. But it could shed a few Vic deadweights. St Kilda is a tragedy of a club the drunken spoken word artists love to romanticise over their mulled wine and forced metaphors. You couldn't contrive to be that unsuccessful. (It's like trying to save the panda when they're too lazy to even screw. There are animals that want to live, dammit!) Useless, pedo-protecting failure factory. *smile* 'em off.

Norf. A couple of flags each for the two preceding generations and still no one cares. Have you been to North Melbourne? It's not a suburb, it's a block. They should no more have a big league footy team than their own currency.

I tend to agree and the logical way of having a Tasmanian club is to relocate one of the Victoria clubs. StKilda is the only club left in the Southern suburbs of Melbourne and it is a foundation club of the VFL.

Plenty of clubs near North Melbourne, they really are a clear case for relocation.

DS

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

Cochrane is a grade A idiot. I think someone pulled him up on his last rant about the night GF, by telling him that he should be more concerned with actually helping his own club get into the finals. He’s scared of a Tassie team, because it would eclipse the Suns on every level: crowds, community buy in and on field success.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

DS
Spot on the ticket prices are a absolute joke.
even Tasmanian's are smart enough to keep away from North games.
Promoting the Game using North Melbourne is the dumbest.
no-one wants to watch North.
I struggle to watch us play them.
If Hocking going to do something right because he is a disaster, he could at least merge North Melbourne with Footscary l.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Spot on the ticket prices are a absolute joke.
even Tasmanian's are smart enough to keep away from North games.
Promoting the Game using North Melbourne is the dumbest.
no-one wants to watch North.
I struggle to watch us play them.
If Hocking going to do something right because he is a disaster, he could at least merge North Melbourne with Footscary l.

I dunno, I saw someone in another thread suggested merging North with Carlton, sounds good, then move them to Tassie and be done with it. Have space for a Darwin team then.

DS

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
The game in Launceston today between Haw & Ess seemed quite a success. Good atmosphere as far as I could tell on the telecast. And due to COVID restrictions max capacity was only 14-15k (the ground holds 22k), yet it still seemed quite vibrant.

A far better option than all of these neutral games played in Sydney.

As I said earlier. Queen’s Birthday Coll vs Melb should have perhaps been in Launceston too as a preferable venue to the SCG.

Would have loved to have seen the Rich vs Adelaide game brought down here too, rather than playing in front of a few seagulls at Giants stadium. Ludicrous choice of venue.

Reactions: 2 users

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010

Packed out UTAS Stadium for Hawks-Bombers a sight for sore eyes​

As Essendon's Jake Stringer soccered the ball towards the northern end of UTAS Stadium, the sea of red and black rose then roared as he spectacularly dribbled it through.
It would have been the loudest cheer to echo around the stands in Launceston for many years, and even Stringer couldn't help but momentarily bask in the genuine joy from Tasmania's footy-starved Bombers fans.

The recently-relaid surface looked immaculate and with every spare seat taken in the Essendon-dominated sections of UTAS Stadium, it was impossible not to consider: this could actually work in Tasmania.

What made it even more of a spectacle was the fact that, with borders to Victoria effectively closed, it was a purely Tasmanian crowd. It couldn't be padded out with travelling fans.

Tasmania has long languished in a tired model where Hawthorn and North Melbourne only play games down here if they would lose money by playing those games in Melbourne. It creates stale match-ups, with regular appearances by non-Victorian sides and the struggling Victorian ones.
Attendances have diminished significantly as a result, creating a self-fulfilling prophecy for the AFL as it attempts to find new excuses to avoid giving Tasmania its own team. Images of an empty Blundstone Arena and sparsely populated UTAS Stadium are difficult to witness.
But when Richmond played in Hobart in 2015 and 2016, they almost got 18,000 on both occasions. And now Launceston has proven the same, that when the big names come down, the crowds turn out.

And time and again, we've heard that many Tasmanians who barrack for Victorian sides would buy memberships for a Tasmanian side as well, and come along to games. On the mainland, support for Tasmania's bid is almost universal among fans. Just ask any AFL supporter - apart from perhaps Gold Coast - and they'll agree it's time.

It'll draw fans from the North-West to Hobart, and Sunday's spectacle will be repeated again and again. The Bombers' arrival couldn't have come at a better time.

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
I dunno, I saw someone in another thread suggested merging North with Carlton, sounds good, then move them to Tassie and be done with it. Have space for a Darwin team then.

DS

Thinks it BS.
In fact I think GC should be sent elsewhere where there is a strong football market. Tassie shouldve got the team back then & believe GC should relocate to Tas.
Cut the loses in GC and move on. Its a money pit

Tas then Darwin.

Tas get a lot more footy will be good for them. Also still have Haw & Nth palying there games there too imo

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Thinks it BS.
In fact I think GC should be sent elsewhere where there is a strong football market. Tassie shouldve got the team back then & believe GC should relocate to Tas.
Cut the loses in GC and move on. Its a money pit

Tas then Darwin.

Tas get a lot more footy will be good for them. Also still have Haw & Nth palying there games there too imo
For a Tasmanian team to work and have the state behind it as a united front from day 1. It needs to be quintessentially Tasmanian. It cannot be a transplanted "Tassie Suns" wearing red and yellow (or any other side for that matter), like how the Swans were moved to Sydney. And given it is only a population of 500k, it is even more imperative that it is a united front from day 1, or it dies a quick death.

It really needs to be in a similar vain to when the Adelade Crows or West Coast Eagles were founded. Probably wearing a variation on colours used traditionally for Tasmanian sporting teams, very much with a Tasmanian identity. Sure you may dissolve the GC Suns and send the basic chassis of their football department and playing list to Tasmania to hasten the development of on field capability. But it cannot be an actual transplanted side in it's entirety.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
For a Tasmanian team to work and have the state behind it as a united front from day 1. It needs to be quintessentially Tasmanian. It cannot be a transplanted "Tassie Suns" wearing red and yellow (or any other side for that matter), like how the Swans were moved to Sydney. And given it is only a population of 500k, it is even more imperative that it is a united front from day 1, or it dies a quick death.

It really needs to be in a similar vain to when the Adelade Crows or West Coast Eagles were founded. Probably wearing a variation on colours used traditionally for Tasmanian sporting teams, very much with a Tasmanian identity. Sure you may dissolve the GC Suns and send the basic chassis of their football department and playing list to Tasmania to hasten the development of on field capability. But it cannot be an actual transplanted side in it's entirety.
Yep. They need their own side with their own identity drawing on Tassie's rich football history.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Yep and wearing a modern version of this
I don't know whether you can use the Tasmanian State of Origin jumper for a Tasmanian AFL club. The Tasmanian representative jumper is just that and should be reserved for that purpose. Just as the Adelaide Crows have their own jumper, based on SA state colours, but quite separate to the the SA representative jumper.

So you could certainly use the Tasmanian SOO colours as inspiration, but in a different format. Something like the NSW-ACT Rams jumper as a template, but using traditional Tasmanian colours in that template would make for a great, traditional looking footy jumper.

1624332082869.png

Say for example, a predominately dark green jumper with dark magenta to maroon yoke, with primrose yellow chevrons (over the dark magenta yoke). Primrose yellow number, cuffs and collar. Dark green shorts (white shorts playing away would look fine with this strip also). Perhaps you put 'the map' symbol on the back of the neck to pay homage to tradition (as Brisbane and Sydney do on their jumpers to Fitzroy and South Melb respectively).

Then your alternate strip clash strip could be a lighter shade of green with say the yellow and magenta switched around, but on the same template. All hypotheticals of course.

Last edited:

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
What would the Tassie team be called? There’s some edict nowadays you can’t use animals (hence Dockers, Power, Suns and Giants as the nicknames of the last 4 new teams as well as all the teams in Big Bash and A league)

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
What would the Tassie team be called? There’s some edict nowadays you can’t use animals (hence Dockers, Power, Suns and Giants as the nicknames of the last 4 new teams as well as all the teams in Big Bash and A league)
I'd prefer Mappa's, but will probably end up rehashing the Mariners if cant use Devils

BTW, Dockers, Power, Suns and Giants are amongst the worst names in Aussie rules footy

Reactions: 1 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I'd prefer Mappa's, but will probably end up rehashing the Mariners if cant use Devils

BTW, Dockers, Power, Suns and Giants are amongst the worst names in Aussie rules footy
Listening to the wireless today , the big problem with the Suns is the retention of players , would Tassie have the same problem? Richmond greats like Gale , Richardson , Days an Taz ;) have all left the island for the mainland

Last edited:
  • Haha