VIC Lockdown Alternative Venues | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

VIC Lockdown Alternative Venues

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Listening to the wireless today , the big problem with the Suns is the retention of players , would Tassie have the same problem? Richmond greats like Gale , Richardson , Days an Taz ;) have all left the island for the mainland
Yet the SA clubs manage to retain players. Livable place for the white picket fence family life. But Adelaide not no.1 on the list for destinations of excitement.

I reckon for the Gold Coast Suns it's more to do with the soulless, cultural void that the plastic franchise is. Isn't really an interwoven piece of any community fabric. Struggles for any meaningful reason to exist, apart from AFL Corporatism.

As I mentioned earlier. Nick Reiwoldt suggested he would have very likely have changed colours, upped stumps and moved down here had it been a Tasmanian team entering the comp at the time the GC Suns and GWS were granted entry. And he had left the state as an 11YO.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yet the SA clubs manage to retain players. Livable place for the white picket fence family life. But Adelaide not no.1 on the list for destinations of excitement.

I reckon for the Gold Coast Suns it's more to do with the soulless, cultural void that the plastic franchise is. Isn't really an interwoven piece of any community fabric. Struggles for any meaningful reason to exist, apart from AFL Corporatism.

As I mentioned earlier. Nick Reiwoldt suggested he would have very likely have changed colours, upped stumps and moved down here had it been a Tasmanian team entering the comp at the time the GC Suns and GWS were granted entry. And he had left the state as an 11YO.

Jack has said the same, quite a forward line that would have been with 2 Reiwoldts.

I do think 18 teams is pretty much the limit so relocating a struggling Vic team or Gold Coast would be logical. Gold Coast is a graveyard for sport, maybe relocate them to Darwin while creating a Tassie team. Could the Tasmanian government simply purchase North Melbourne's AFL licence? Wouldn't set a good precedent though.

DS

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I don't know whether you can use the Tasmanian State of Origin jumper for a Tasmanian AFL club. The Tasmanian representative jumper is just that and should be reserved for that purpose. Just as the Adelaide Crows have their own jumper, based on SA state colours, but quite separate to the the SA representative jumper.

So you could certainly use the Tasmanian SOO colours as inspiration, but in a different format. Something like the NSW-ACT Rams jumper as a template, but using traditional Tasmanian colours in that template would make for a great, traditional looking footy jumper.

View attachment 12643

Say for example, a predominately dark green jumper with dark magenta to maroon yoke, with primrose yellow chevrons (over the dark magenta yoke). Primrose yellow number, cuffs and collar. Dark green shorts (white shorts playing away would look fine with this strip also). Perhaps you put 'the map' symbol on the back of the neck to pay homage to tradition (as Brisbane and Sydney do on their jumpers to Fitzroy and South Melb respectively).

Then your alternate strip clash strip could be a lighter shade of green with say the yellow and magenta switched around, but on the same template. All hypotheticals of course.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I'd prefer Mappa's, but will probably end up rehashing the Mariners if cant use Devils

BTW, Dockers, Power, Suns and Giants are amongst the worst names in Aussie rules footy
I was thinking the Mariners. Devils is too close to Demons and Tigers is obviously off the table. Quolls are still in Tassie, but I shudder to think what opposition supporters would do with the name. Could call them the Convicts and insist on wearing prison bars to *smile* off the Skunks and Port. The Suns should be disbanded and their licence given to the new Tasmanian team. No one really wants a team on the Gold Coast, it’s where sports franchises go to die.

Reactions: 1 users

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
I was thinking the Mariners. Devils is too close to Demons and Tigers is obviously off the table. Quolls are still in Tassie, but I shudder to think what opposition supporters would do with the name. Could call them the Convicts and insist on wearing prison bars to *smile* off the Skunks and Port. The Suns should be disbanded and their licence given to the new Tasmanian team. No one really wants a team on the Gold Coast, it’s where sports franchises go to die.
If we can have Cats, Lions and Tigers, or Hawks and Eagles, then we can have Demons and Devils.

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
so changing tack, what are the alternate venues for the swans and giants if they have to relocate?
Bring it down here to Albury. We have a brilliant facility at the Lavington Sports Ground. Would never happen, but whenever we have pre season matches here always draws a decent crowd depending on who is playing of up to 10k

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Bring it down here to Albury. We have a brilliant facility at the Lavington Sports Ground. Would never happen, but whenever we have pre season matches here always draws a decent crowd depending on who is playing of up to 10k

GWS v Hawthorn at the MCG is wrong. Why not the ACT?

Sydney v West Coast next week will be at Marvel IMO

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
GWS v Hawthorn at the MCG is wrong. Why not the ACT?

Sydney v West Coast next week will be at Marvel IMO

Yep I would have thought both Sydney teams could relocate temporarily to Canberra and play their home games out Canberra, and/or Albury. Should be using the unique situation as an opportunity to bring the game to the fans of these regions.

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Yep I would have thought both Sydney teams could relocate temporarily to Canberra and play their home games out Canberra, and/or Albury. Should be using the unique situation as an opportunity to bring the game to the fans of these regions.
Exactly. No matter who the sides were being a one off would get good crowds to the Albury game.

We had the Storm base themselves here for a bit & also I think one of the NBL teams & also the Giants women's team at times during certain times of outbreaks due to Covid.

SpaceAce

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2007
Not sure this is the right thread but given the spread of this virus atm there must be a very real chance of the season being disrupted/paused yet again.
I was wondering about this also.
Right now Melbourne and Adelaide are the only places where hubs can be set up.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I was wondering about this also.
Right now Melbourne and Adelaide are the only places where hubs can be set up.
With so many clubs relocating & the virus uncontained there must be genuie concerns.
Much as I want the season to continue it's already seriously compromised again & you think it's just a matter of time before something gives.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
With so many clubs relocating & the virus uncontained there must be genuie concerns.
Much as I want the season to continue it's already seriously compromised again & you think it's just a matter of time before something gives.

As much as it would be great for Richmond to play Gold Coast in Melbourne, it does compromise the draw for teams fighting for finals places (although we did have to relocate our own home game against Adelaide). GWS v Hawthorn last week… GWS would surely have won if it was played at Giants Stadium. Freo v Carlton likely to be in Melbourne as well, which is not fair.