VIC Lockdown Alternative Venues | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

VIC Lockdown Alternative Venues

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Interesting reading comments from a discussion that Matthew Lloyd and co had on the rescheduled venues.

The crux of it was, he finds it bizarre that so many VIC sides have been diverted to Sydney and playing matches there in front of a sparsely populated SCG or Giants Stadium. And he suggested that because of lack of interest, this scheduling should be diverted to WA and/or SA (citing the immense success of the Rich vs Ess fixture in Perth). And the likelihood that the Queens Birthday fixture in Sydney could be a flop.

I find it continually frustrating that Tasmania, a traditionally fervent AFL state, is repeatedly overlooked and treated with ignorance or even contempt by not only the AFL, but the wider AFL community (media and co). The sport is in what looks to be near terminal decline in the State through decades upon decades of neglect. In what was one of the most pure Australian rules obsessed regions anywhere. Why not use the latest unorthodox situation as an opportunity to breath some life and interest back into the sport down here.

In addition to SA and WA, Tasmania is more than capable of playing a role. Tasmania could host a group of Victorian clubs between both Hobart and Launceston (say two in each Launceston and Hobart as their temporary home for a total of four clubs in the state). Being fed the likes of GWS, Gold Coast Suns and Fremantle as regular fixtures has meant crowds have dropped off in recent years at games played in Tasmania, as interest wanes. Bringing a few Victorian clubs down to play fixtures would most certainly rejuvenate interest and get the crowds back.

Tasmanians traditionally follow Victorian clubs (in far greater numbers than other clubs), with the likes of Richmond, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and St.Kilda all having sizable fan bases in the state in addition to Hawthorn. In footy culture terms, Tasmania has always in a sense been a kind of annex of Victoria, so this is all a legacy of that. A full house of 22k in Launceston, or 18k in Hobart would be preferable to a sparsely populated SCG or Giants Stadium.

I can guarantee Melbourne vs Collingwood for Queens birthday in Launceston would have sold out rapidly. As I say, a full house in Launceston would be far better atmosphere than a half full (or even less) SCG and on a far superior, larger playing surface than the postage stamp at the SCG.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I hear ya PT. AFL treatment of Tassy has been cynical and outrageous.

I really hope Jack Reiwoldt devotes himself to Tasmanian footy post-playing.

A pretty obvious starter is Dreamtime doing a national tour.

Reactions: 3 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Probably more to do with the attitude of the government than anything else at the moment I guess.

Is the Tassie government receptive to hosting teams?
They certainly don't roll out the welcome mat.
More votes in keeping dirty Vics out than having extra footy there. Liberal govt down there says it all.

Reactions: 2 users

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Probably more to do with the attitude of the government than anything else at the moment I guess.

More votes in keeping dirty Vics out than having extra footy there. Liberal govt down there says it all.
No more than WA, who are actually a different shade of Govt than Tasmania has. So more to do with parochialism than shade of govt in this instance.

Last year the welcome mat was well and truly rolled up (as it was in WA). But this year, I think most definitely the govt would have been receptive to hosting the VIC sides as WA has been happy to this season.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
No more than WA, who are actually a different shade of Govt than Tasmania has. So more to do with parochialism than shade of govt in this instance.

What? WA has been desperate for games to be held there last year and this.

But yeah, Tassie would be good also.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
I hear ya PT. AFL treatment of Tassy has been cynical and outrageous.

I really hope Jack Reiwoldt devotes himself to Tasmanian footy post-playing.

A pretty obvious starter is Dreamtime doing a national tour.
Interestingly, his cousin Nick is very much on that train.

Nick gave some interviews in the national press a couple of years ago leading up to the launch of his book, where he stated that in no way does he identify as a Queenslander. He sees himself as 100% Tasmanian through and through. Queensland he sees as simply a place where he did his secondary schooling and of course was drafted from. But it isn't really home to him as such. He was born in TAS, started playing the game in TAS, then after moving to QLD spent pretty much every school holiday in TAS at the Reiwoldt clan's shack on the East Coast of Tasmania. Tasmania has that indescribable feeling of home to him that QLD never will.

He talked about how the AFL and GC Suns offered him an enormous sum to go and be a marquee player for the Suns and captain them on considerable coin (they eventually got Abblett instead). It was to be marketed as a home coming for the home town Gold Coast boy. But he said he never really considered it seriously at all. He insinuated that it all seemed a bit fake and forced to him as he never really had much affiliation with the Gold Coast or QLD as home. Hence he stayed loyal to St.Kilda. But he did go on to say, If Tasmania had been granted the license instead of either the GC Suns or GWS, his decision would have likely been entirely different.

Reactions: 4 users

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
What? WA has been desperate for games to be held there last year and this.

But yeah, Tassie would be good also.
WA's policy has had extreme dichotomy permeating through it.

Remember that the Eagles and the Dockers also needed to spend a considerable amount of last season in QLD just as the VIC clubs needed to. Yes WA had an intense, "we want the grand final" campaign at the 11th hour. But besides that they have had the strongest, "keep the borders shut to the outside world and the dirty easterners" of any state. So not without some cliched parochial politicking to it. And it is correct that the TAS govt did play to that same "keep the drawbridge to the moat (Bass Strait) closed to keep the dirty savages out" parochial politics.

But overall, QLD and then probably SA were the most accommodating to the AFL. Hence why the GF eventually went to QLD, as the WA govt hadn't been at all helpful to the AFL throughout the 2020 season. QLD in a way was repayed for their assistance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
WA's policy has had extreme dichotomy permeating through it.

Remember that the Eagles and the Dockers also needed to spend a considerable amount of last season in QLD just as the VIC clubs needed to. Yes WA had an intense, "we want the grand final" campaign at the 11th hour. But besides that they have had the strongest, "keep the borders shut to the outside world and the dirty easterners" of any state. So not without some cliched parochial politicking to it. And it is correct that the TAS govt did play to that same "keep the drawbridge to the moat (Bass Strait) closed to keep the dirty savages out" parochial politics.

But overall, QLD and then probably SA were the most accommodating to the AFL. Hence why the GF eventually went to QLD, as the WA govt hadn't been at all helpful to the AFL throughout the 2020 season. QLD in a way was repayed for their assistance.

Yes, good points PT, WA were pretty hardcore on that last year. In a way this attitude still persists, so we chose to stay in Sydney this week rather than being in semi-quarantine in the hotel in Perth.

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Probably giving the finger to the AFL for their disregard for Tasmanian Footy.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

I think all states are ok with games being held there, but are making teams fly in and out, or stay locked up in their hotel. teams in NSW are relatively free, hence Richmond returned there between WA games.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

Yes the Tassie Govt gave the OK for lolnorf game down here to be played on the weekend and they put their hand up to support (hub) a team if asked…….

Reactions: 1 users

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Yes the Tassie Govt gave the OK for lolnorf game down here to be played on the weekend and they put their hand up to support (hub) a team if asked…….
Would have been great to have Hawthorn and one other VIC club based in Launceston, with North Melbourne and one VIC club based in Hobart for this lockdown. 4 clubs playing out of the state as their temporary home. Perhaps Collingwood and Melbourne could have been brought in as the two others, which would lined up Queens Birthday in Launceston.

Despite the fact I don't have any great love for any of those clubs. It certainly would have created a bit of a buzz around the place. Collingwood - yep I hate them - do have a really large supporter base down here as you would expect. And Melbourne, being in the form they are in, would have drawn a lot of people to any matches they hosted in the state. Plus, looking at the schedule, Hawthorn and Melbourne both play Essendon in coming weeks. Those sorts of fixtures would have been huge events for the State.

Having said all of this, it's sounding not outside the realms of possibility that North may stay down here after their fixture with GWS in Hobart this weekend. Think they have another home match the week later against Brisbane. So perhaps they stay here and host that the week later.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights

Last year the welcome mat was well and truly rolled up (as it was in WA). But this year, I think most definitely the govt would have been receptive to hosting the VIC sides as WA has been happy to this season.
Yep.... Doesn't matter what colour the party in govt is they just don't want Vics unless it's absolutely on their terms. Qld saviours last year, not a peep out of them this time.
I am booked for GC game ... Not holding breath that will be able to go.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Don’t underestimate Tim Paine in all this. With the Riewoldt’s he will pull a role in getting an AFL team to Hobart.

They are a real cliche determined to make an impact.

Reactions: 2 users

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Would have been great to have Hawthorn and one other VIC club based in Launceston, with North Melbourne and one VIC club based in Hobart for this lockdown. 4 clubs playing out of the state as their temporary home. Perhaps Collingwood and Melbourne could have been brought in as the two others, which would lined up Queens Birthday in Launceston.

Despite the fact I don't have any great love for any of those clubs. It certainly would have created a bit of a buzz around the place. Collingwood - yep I hate them - do have a really large supporter base down here as you would expect. And Melbourne, being in the form they are in, would have drawn a lot of people to any matches they hosted in the state. Plus, looking at the schedule, Hawthorn and Melbourne both play Essendon in coming weeks. Those sorts of fixtures would have been huge events for the State.

Having said all of this, it's sounding not outside the realms of possibility that North may stay down here after their fixture with GWS in Hobart this weekend. Think they have another home match the week later against Brisbane. So perhaps they stay here and host that the week later.
Interesting. Latest rumour in local media circles is that TAS may indeed host two matches next weekend.

North Melbourne possibly remaining in Hobart after their match with GWS this Saturday. Then hosting Brisbane next Saturday. And additionally, Hawthorn a possibility to host Essendon in Launceston next Sunday.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Don’t underestimate Tim Paine in all this. With the Riewoldt’s he will pull a role in getting an AFL team to Hobart.

They are a real cliche determined to make an impact.

I cant wait to fly to Hobart to watch The Tigers V The Thylacines

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
cant wait to see the mascot :cool:

great job opportunity for a Gen X beauty with a few miles on the clock
1623368485517.png

A guernsey design that looks something like this?

1623368681625.png

Comes in a few different colours (red and/or bright green, plus a few others) to give options for alternate strips.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010

"Sunday's relocated grudge match between arch rivals Hawthorn and Essendon at York Park in Launceston sold out less than two hours after tickets went on sale yesterday."

It's often stated that the Tasmanian crowds are dwindling. But I don't know whether this is genuine ignorance, or willful ignorance that if fixtures that cater to traditional footy culture in Tasmania were scheduled more often (theoretically of course, I understand the reasons why blockbusters are not scheduled here), the crowds would actually be very strong. I acknowledge that that footy culture is not as ingrained in the general community fabric across the state as it was 20-30 years ago when I was a kid. But as a traditional footy heartland, the culture of the game down here has always been a bit of an annex of Victoria, with the larger legacy VIC teams (and St.Kilda due to the Baldock/Stewart connection) having very healthy supporter bases.