Vic State Election 22 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Vic State Election 22

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Agree to disagree. Conflict is never removed due to one government department making a decision that another benefited from.

Good summary by the ABC. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04...councils-community-catering-business/12147178

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-03/i-cook-foods-charges-dropped-by-dandenong-council/11571160

In July, a former health inspector at the council said council staff appeared intent on shutting down the business.

Documents showed council officers knew within days of the closure in February that levels of listeria found at the factory were within a safe range, but they did not allow I Cook Foods to reopen.

By the time it was allowed to reopen a month later, I Cook Foods had lost all its clients, with some signing contracts with catering company Community Chef, which was partly owned by the council.

Kim Rogerson was the Dandenong council health inspector who collected the initial samples from I Cook Foods at the time of the listeria scare.

In July, Ms Rogerson said she had "never seen Dandenong council go after a business with such ferocity".

"It was full-on. Absolutely full-on. It shouldn't have been that way."

Stinks to high hell.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Agree to disagree. Conflict is never removed due to one government department making a decision that another benefited from.

Good summary by the ABC. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04...councils-community-catering-business/12147178

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-03/i-cook-foods-charges-dropped-by-dandenong-council/11571160

In July, a former health inspector at the council said council staff appeared intent on shutting down the business.

Documents showed council officers knew within days of the closure in February that levels of listeria found at the factory were within a safe range, but they did not allow I Cook Foods to reopen.

By the time it was allowed to reopen a month later, I Cook Foods had lost all its clients, with some signing contracts with catering company Community Chef, which was partly owned by the council.

Kim Rogerson was the Dandenong council health inspector who collected the initial samples from I Cook Foods at the time of the listeria scare.

In July, Ms Rogerson said she had "never seen Dandenong council go after a business with such ferocity".

"It was full-on. Absolutely full-on. It shouldn't have been that way."

Stinks to high hell.
You realise the Dept of Health got Knox council to go back and investigate right?

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
You realise the Dept of Health got Knox council to go back and investigate right?
The department that wanted an outcome organized who would find it.

It's the exact same as the AFL investigating AFL issues. The outcome is known prior to the investigation starting.

If you think it was a squeaky-clean process beyond reproach more power to you. If you can't see the potential for conflict then let's just end the discussion and enjoy Friday frothys.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
The department that wanted an outcome organized who would find it.

It's the exact same as the AFL investigating AFL issues. The outcome is known prior to the investigation starting.

If you think it was a squeaky-clean process beyond reproach more power to you. If you can't see the potential for conflict then let's just end the discussion and enjoy Friday frothys.
It doesn't sound like you've seen the alternative report. It's not exactly complimentary of Dandenong.
Two different councils, separation of decision making, two different level of government. Squeaky clean process? Not sure I've said that. I think it was a standard approach.
I just don't think its likely you'd get all those stakeholders to agree to a compromised outcome, to support one individual with a conflict of interest/rival business.
Happy to agree to disagree. Enjoy your frothy, and this weekends warm weather.

Reactions: 1 user

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
A cursory look at the first few pages of this thread shows just how indoctrinated some people are by the Murdoch media and their own social media echo chambers.

There were those who really thought Dan was the least popular premier in history, that the people would rise up, and turf him out. All they could see in memes and YouTube comments was that he was a criminal, corrupted and hated. Every insta post they read, every tiktok they watched, showed that he would be torn down because he caused the pandemic to try and control us through lockdowns and vaccines.

It is truly bewildering to these people that the wider community does not represent that insanity.

Reactions: 5 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Andrews critics must be having nightmares at the prospect of not just another 4 years, but 8 years. Labor, the LNP and Greens will all end up with 1 extra seat, meaning Andrews needs to lose 12 seats to lose his majority in 2026. Sure, there was about a 3% swing against Labor, but that was primarily in already safe seats such as Greenvale and Broadmeadows

But how do The Age and Herald Scum look now after their predictions? They both claimed it was neck and neck in the final days. they claimed Ian Cook had a chance of unseating Andrews. They were miles off it. In fact, I would argue the media contributed to the landslide. The media argued the election was a referendum on Andrews. I would argue it was a referendum on the Victorian media.

The biggest surprise for mine was the lack of success of the independents. I thought they would take Hawthorn, Kew, Caulfield and Mornington. Maybe climate change policy is less of an issue in Victoria because the VIC Libs are considered more moderate than their federal counterparts?

Its also interesting to note that none of the cooker parties came close to winning a seat in the upper house., If anything, it has lurched further to the left with Legalise Cannabis doing well. My views on drugs have been well documented on PRE, so I am very happy with this.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The Upper House is looking to be a bit of a mess (ABC report, there would be a slight chance this will change):

ALP: 15
LNP: 14
Legalise Cannabis: 3
Greens: 2

Then we get to the preference winners:
Liberal Democrats: 1
Animal Justice: 1
Shooters, Fishers and Farmers: 1
Transport Matters: 1
DLP: 1
One Nation: 1

Now, in a 5 member electorate I see no reason why either of the major parties should get a third seat when their proportion of the third quota is generally as miniscule as the primary vote for some of the micro parties above, that is even if they got more than 2 quotas.

The Greens seem to have done badly in the Upper House, bit strange given they did better in this election in the lower house. Their support must spread too thin in the various regions which are upper house electorates.

Legalise Cannabis have done very well, so let's legalise cannabis!

4 RWNJs elected.
1 fossilised remain from the 1950s.
1 Animal Justice who seem to do fairly well in upper house elections.

Time we got rid of the group voting tickets in Victoria, and that may change the result dramatically. While the total of the micro-party votes can often be close to a quota, no group voting tickets will likely lead to more exhausted votes which will disadvantage the micro-parties.

Still some uncertainty in the results above, proportional rep takes time to count, but it looks like Fiona Patton from the Reason Party is out which is a pity as she seemed intelligent.

DS

PS: the results are quite contradictory actually, on the ABC election pages they say the Transport Matters candidate is not likely to win but the above is from an article today and the specific election page has no indication of when it was last updated. We'll see.

Last edited:

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Andrews critics must be having nightmares at the prospect of not just another 4 years, but 8 years. Labor, the LNP and Greens will all end up with 1 extra seat, meaning Andrews needs to lose 12 seats to lose his majority in 2026. Sure, there was about a 3% swing against Labor, but that was primarily in already safe seats such as Greenvale and Broadmeadows

But how do The Age and Herald Scum look now after their predictions? They both claimed it was neck and neck in the final days. they claimed Ian Cook had a chance of unseating Andrews. They were miles off it. In fact, I would argue the media contributed to the landslide. The media argued the election was a referendum on Andrews. I would argue it was a referendum on the Victorian media.

The biggest surprise for mine was the lack of success of the independents. I thought they would take Hawthorn, Kew, Caulfield and Mornington. Maybe climate change policy is less of an issue in Victoria because the VIC Libs are considered more moderate than their federal counterparts?

Its also interesting to note that none of the cooker parties came close to winning a seat in the upper house., If anything, it has lurched further to the left with Legalise Cannabis doing well. My views on drugs have been well documented on PRE, so I am very happy with this.

I'm afraid the cooker parties did fine in the upper house going by the latest report on the ABC, see above.

I wouldn't say Labor are guaranteed to win again next time, I remember when the ALP won Queensland from a position where they had something like 3 seats before the election. The electorate is far more volatile than it once was.

As someone who lives in a seat mentioned above, Caulfield, there was nothing like the publicity we got for the Federal Election in Goldstein. It never felt like there was any groundswell for independents in the State Election. I was amazed that Caulfield was too close to call on the Sunday after the election and as the counting continued the Lib consolidated their lead. In any case, the seat of Caulfield was a contest between the Libs and ALP, the independent was gone by the time they got to preferences, in fact she didn't do very well at all. I suppose the Orthodox Feminist vote is a bit limited, Nomi only got 6.5% of the vote, behind the Greens.

DS

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Ian Cooke goes on Sam Newman's podcast where Sam hypothesises electoral fraud in Dan Andrews' seat "just like what occurred with Trump". Cooke doesn't quite go all-in on this but claims there was dodgy stuff "around preference counts" despite Andrews' primary vote never falling below 50%.

Good to see Sam doubling down on his casual racism and mocking the disabled to full on alt-right conspiricising. Stay classy Sammy

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Ian Cooke goes on Sam Newman's podcast where Sam hypothesises electoral fraud in Dan Andrews' seat "just like what occurred with Trump". Cooke doesn't quite go all-in on this but claims there was dodgy stuff "around preference counts" despite Andrews' primary vote never falling below 50%.

Good to see Sam doubling down on his casual racism and mocking the disabled to full on alt-right conspiricising. Stay classy Sammy

Does this Cooke bloke, whoever he may be, actually understand preferential voting? I doubt it. I could believe election fraud in the USA where elections are mainly controlled by partisan officials (and the fraud, gerrymandering and just out and out discrimination mainly comes from the Republicans), but if any of these nongs actually knew anything about the way Australian elections are run they would know they are spouting complete bullsh1t.

DS

Last edited:

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Victorians sick to death of that criminal Dictator Dan sure did rise up when they all had the chance to do so.

1670720022712.png

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
The Upper House is looking to be a bit of a mess (ABC report, there would be a slight chance this will change):

ALP: 15
LNP: 14
Legalise Cannabis: 3
Greens: 2

Then we get to the preference winners:
Liberal Democrats: 1
Animal Justice: 1
Shooters, Fishers and Farmers: 1
Transport Matters: 1
DLP: 1
One Nation: 1

I'm afraid the cooker parties did fine in the upper house going by the latest report on the ABC, see above.

ALP 15, Legalise Cannabis 3 and Greens 2. That’s 20 and they need 21 to pass legislation, which they should be able to do with the help of one or more of Animal Justice, Shooters, Fishers and Farmers and Transport Matters.

Yes, DLP, One Nation and Lib Dems are nutters, but none of the cooker parties won and that’s an important message to send about their irrelevancy. If they had won a couple of upper house seats, I have no doubt they would have deliberately tried to sabotage parliament by attempting to block supply under an Andrews Govt.

I’m really disappointed Somyurek will take Fiona Patten’s spot. I’m a bit of a fan boy of hers

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I’m really disappointed Somyurek will take Fiona Patten’s spot. I’m a bit of a fan boy of hers
Me too, she's awesome.

If the Shooters and Fishers member is anything like Helen Dalton (Member for Murray in NSW) they'll be reasonable and actually have the best interests of country people and the land at heart. unlike those traitors the Nationals.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Me too, she's awesome.

If the Shooters and Fishers member is anything like Helen Dalton (Member for Murray in NSW) they'll be reasonable and actually have the best interests of country people and the land at heart. unlike those traitors the Nationals.
Yeh, I'm originally from that area and she is very popular. Has been huge in seeking transparency around water rights ownership. And guess what - the NSW lib's opposed her bill creating a register of owners - funny that, the Libs arguing against transparency - *smile*.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
ALP 15, Legalise Cannabis 3 and Greens 2. That’s 20 and they need 21 to pass legislation, which they should be able to do with the help of one or more of Animal Justice, Shooters, Fishers and Farmers and Transport Matters.

Yes, DLP, One Nation and Lib Dems are nutters, but none of the cooker parties won and that’s an important message to send about their irrelevancy. If they had won a couple of upper house seats, I have no doubt they would have deliberately tried to sabotage parliament by attempting to block supply under an Andrews Govt.

I wondered who Transport Matters were, looked them up, and they strike me as nutters.

DLP are just weird, their day was done 40 years ago and Patten would have made infinitely more contribution to the upper house.

Animal Justice should be ok and hopefully the Shooters etc will be someone with half a brain.

As for supply, my understanding is that the upper house can't block supply in Victoria, read that somewhere but haven't verified it.

DS

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Yeh, I'm originally from that area and she is very popular. Has been huge in seeking transparency around water rights ownership. And guess what - the NSW lib's opposed her bill creating a register of owners - funny that, the Libs arguing against transparency - *smile*.
Water rights and allocations are a goddamn criminal debacle in this dusty country.

Reactions: 2 users