Vic Thorp - grave restoration | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Vic Thorp - grave restoration

focrc

Tiger Cub
Jan 2, 2012
I am involved with the Friends of Cheltenham and Regional Cemeteries Inc. (www.focrc.org) where a number of VFL/AFL footballers (and officials) are buried including Richmond champion Vic Thorp (1890-1941).

The Friends are currently involved with restoring the grave of Ernest William Copeland ("Copeland Trophy") the long-time Secretary of the Collingwood Football Club. Here is a link to the post which includes a photo of the Copeland grave: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=61793

Vic Thorp is also buried at the Cheltenham Pioneer Cemetery. His grave is in pretty good condition but could do with some general maintenance. Here is a picture of Thorp's grave:

20120102_ThorpeGrave.jpg

I would be keen to make contact with someone from Richmond (Archives/Administration) to see if we can restore the Thorpe grave and place a historic marker on the grave (with family approval). Here is a sample of a historic marker that the Friends have been commissioning on graves:

mainimage7.jpg

Though the Copeland grave restoration was funded by the Collingwood Football Club (except for the historic marker), we don't expect Richmond to fund the restoration of the Thorp grave. Every Club and every grave is a different set of circumstances.

I can be contacted by email [email protected] if anyone is interested.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Re: Vic Thorpe - grave restoration

Welcome to PRE focrc and thanks for the information. I'll pass your message and details on to our President and CEO. :)

focrc

Tiger Cub
Jan 2, 2012
Re: Vic Thorpe - grave restoration

rosy23 said:
Welcome to PRE focrc and thanks for the information. I'll pass your message and details on to our President and CEO. :)

Many thanks rosy23. Any support/assistance would be great.

After posting the message, I checked my records and it seems Mel (Melville) Morris (1895-1956), Thorpe's 1921 premiership teammate is also buried a short distance away at the Cheltenham Pioneer Cemetery. I have yet to confirm the details, but his age and year of death both match the available records (born 1895). I believe Morris was the captain-coach in 1926 so another Richmond great. Here is a photo of Morris' grave:

20120102_MorrisGrave.jpg

As you can see from both photos, a visitor passing the either graves would have little idea about the significance of either Thorpe and certainly Morris.

focrc

Tiger Cub
Jan 2, 2012
Hi rosy23. Just a follow up to my posting if contact has been made to the President and CEO?

We have completed the restoration of Ernest Copeland's grave and are just arranging an unveiling with the Club, scheduled hopefully in May. There should be some media coverage.

I'm happy to write to the Richmond Football Club to see if there is any interest in the Club to restore Thorp's grave along the lines of Copeland.

Hope to hear from you soon.