Walls rates the Tigers for 2003 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Walls rates the Tigers for 2003

J

JohnF

The Tigers have to find more avenues to goal than their three talls if they are to have an impact this season, reports Robert Walls.

Too many question marks hover over Punt Road. Tiger supporters would love to be excited about the season ahead but few dare to. They know disappointment lies just around the corner. Some of the queries that concern them are:

■Will emotional coach Danny Frawley after three roller coaster years at the helm show a steadiness that is needed?

■Will skipper Wayne Campbell, who last year earned his fourth club best-and-fairest award, get some fair dinkum on-field leadership support from the likes of Darren Gaspar, Joel Bowden and Matthew Richardson?

■Will new recruit Justin Blumfield dig deep for the yellow and black after gliding on cruise control for the Bombers the past two years?

■Will ex-Blues coach Wayne Brittain make a significant difference to a game plan that has relied too much on Richardson and Brad Ottens kicking goals from contested marks?

■Will some small/midfield forwards be developed who can contribute 30-plus goals per season?

■Will injured senior players in Brad Ottens, Ben Holland, Rory Hilton, Mark Dragicevic and Duncan Kellaway return to their best form?

■And above all, can the basic skill level be drastically improved of a team that continually turns the ball over with sloppy foot and hand disposal?

After slipping 11 rungs to 14th on the ladder in 2002 I think the Tigers are in for a couple of slowly developing seasons. They just have to find more avenues to goal. You don’t win many games when you average less than 12 goals a game.

Only three players kicked 20-plus goals in last year’s wretched run. They were Richardson, Brad Ottens and Greg Stafford, all giants.

This team has become too predictable, opposition coaches know if the Tiger talls are controlled then they can’t win. The good news is that ageing veterans in Matthew Knights, Steven Sziller and Paul Hudson will be replaced by youth.

Encouraging signs were shown by young Tigers Mark Coughlan, Aaron Fiora, Ray Hall, Ty Zantuck and David Rodan.

Over the past two decades Tiger fans have learnt to be patient. They will have to be so again.

WHY THEY’LL MAKE THE EIGHT

The Tigers have an abundance of courage. Led by the Kellaway brothers, the team is rarely found guilty of not having a dip. The inclusion of Wayne Brittain to the coaching panel will help senior coach Danny Frawley and the players. Tall, competent, and sometimes match-winning marking forwards in Matthew Richardson, Brad Ottens (albeit for the second half of the season) and Ben Holland, always loom as dangerous men.

WHAT WILL HOLD THEM BACK

I think Richmond has too many weaknesses to make the finals. The defence is tough and hard-working, but doesn’t provide enough dash and delivery. The midfield lacks pace and size. The Tiger runners, apart from Johnson, won’t physically work over anyone. And the forward line is too one dimensional. If the talls aren’t marking and kicking goals, history says they are no chance to win. And now with Ottens being injured and out of action for three months things look grimmer than ever.

J

JohnF

THE 'X' FACTOR

Kane Johnson. Securing the ex-Crow, who played a strong hand in two premierships, is a recruiting coup for the Tigers. Johnson is quick, hard and tough, just the type needed to add bite to an ordinary pack of midfield runners.

Six of the best

WAYNE CAMPBELL

A low-key, but effective and respected leader. Club champion last year in a season where he played every game, fired off the most disposals and led the way with tackles, clearances and hard-ball gets.

MATTHEW RICHARDSON

Hard to believe the big fellow is entering his 11th AFL season. Little has changed since year one, his best is still brilliant and his worst is still woeful. At 28, it’s time to help Campbell lead, time to forget taking the slim options, time to be consistent and reliable, time to earn real respect in the football world.

BRAD OTTENS

The injured star is caught betwixt and between. Is he a key forward or a number one ruck-man? The Tigers desperately rely on his goalkicking talents, but playing him forward robs Ottens of much needed ruck development time. I’d ruck him 80 per cent of the time as eventually he will dominate from this position.

ANDREW KELLAWAY

As brave as they come. Averages more than six marks a game with his fear-less attack on the ball. Used to plug holes last year. Needs to be settled at centre half-back where he has the ability, and now experience and confidence, to take on all comers.

DARREN GASPAR

At his best, one of the competition’s closest checking defenders, who makes it really difficult for his opponent to get a kick. A reserved man by nature, I think he owes it to the Tigers to play with more vibrancy and authority.

JOEL BOWDEN

A class act who has suffered by being forced to play everywhere. With a lethal left foot and an uncanny knack to read the play, Bowden needs to be played as an attacking midfield/forward, then he would really worry opposition coaches.

2002 BEST AND FAIREST TOP TEN

1. Wayne Campbell - 275
2. Matthew Richardson - 229
3. Mark Coughlan - 226
4. Joel Bowden - 174
5. Brad Ottens - 159
6. Andrew Kellaway - 155
7. Jason Torney - 152
8. Matthew Rogers - 139
9. Ty Zantuck - 135
10. Darren Gaspar - 129

OTHER AWARDS

Rising star - Mark Coughlan
Best clubman - Rory Hilton
Coach’s award - Ray Hall

BETTING

Premiership $31.00
Final 8 $2.10
Wooden spoon $8.00

BEST LINE-UP

B D. Kellaway Gaspar Zantuck
HB Cameron A. Kellaway Chaffey
C Fiora Coughlan Rogers
HF Bowden Holland Tivendale
F Houlihan Richardson Rodan
RUCK Ottens Campbell Johnson
INT Stafford Blumfield Hall Hilton

WHERE THE TIGERS WILL FINISH - OUR EXPERTS SELECT

ROHAN CONNOLLY 10
ROBERT WALLS 14
TIM WATSON 9
CAROLINE WILSON 13
DERMOTT BRERETON 5

Hmmm, I find it worrying that numbskull Brereton rates us to finish so high. He's usually wrong on everything he talks about and mozzes anyone he backs.

J

JohnF

A fair assessment by Walls.

Whilst Richmond is often derided for not having enough options at goal (and this is no doubt a concern), I think the real issue is whether we convert the opportunities that we are given. Last year we had plenty of opportunities to snatch victory in games, but were let down by poor disposal and poor shots at goal. The practice match agaisnt Sydney this week was again indicative of this, where we squandered shots at goal and subsequently lost the match.

I would like to see greater consistency with our shots at goal, and this will greatly pend on whereabouts we finish this year. If the likes of Tivendale, Richardson, Bowden, Hall etc can lift their skill level and convert on a more regular basis I think success will be jsut a step away.

One option which I would consider using that hasn't been given much thought by the Tigers is to play Wayne Campbell as a full forward or as a key forward. One on one he should be able to beat his opponent and he is a great kick at goal. Playing him off the half back flank would be ok, but we have lots of other players who could fulfill that role, i.e. Hilton, Cameron, Newman, Fiora. We need to get it done in the forward line if we are to win matches.

What do you all think about this line up?

FB: Zantuck Gaspar Cameron
HB: Hilton Holland A. Kellaway
C: Fiora Coughlan Tivendale
HF: Blumfield Richardson Bowden
FF: Hall Campbell Chaffey
Foll: Ottens Johnson Rodan
INT: Krakouer, Stafford, Schulz, Rogers

Campbell should rove when Rodan gets tired. Rodan should be put forward pocket and Hall should go to full forward. This side might look a bit lopsided, but this is a forward line which could do some damage. The only question then is whether the likes of Fiora and Tivendale can get enough of the ball to feed it to our forward line.

Rodan#18

Fijian thunderbolt
Jan 19, 2003
What do you all think about this line up?

FB:   Zantuck    Gaspar        Cameron
HB:   Hilton       Holland        A. Kellaway
C:     Fiora        Coughlan     Tivendale
HF:   Blumfield  Richardson   Bowden
FF:    Hall          Campbell     Chaffey
Foll:  Ottens     Johnson       Rodan
INT:  Krakouer, Stafford, Schulz, Rogers

i think it's a very good team...a few positional changes but a paper team never stands still anyway. i'd be suprised if that team lost more than it won...the trick is getting them all right at the same time...actually it never happens.

Dunc, newman, pettifer (dare I mention dragga ? ) and Houlihan (not bad so far)..are not in the side , so nice to know we've got some options. But the talls are a big worry....vardy is the only other tall not named and whilst he has his good days from time to time...I'd hate to see him named on Lloyd in a grand final. I'd be nervous to say the least. But that's not Royces' fault...pooor management. Instead of key pos'n depth...we have 3 empty lockers...that's a question I'd like to hear Miller answer.