Water threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Water threads [Merged]

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
Re: Melbourne's Water Update

I can't be 100% sure, but I was at Eildon last Friday and I'm pretty sure that the sign said that they are at stage 1 restrictions. I drove across the wall for a quick look and while I've seen the lake at much lower levels in the past few years, it isn't exactly full.

I think the Brumby government has gone past just being foolish and pigheaded and are now just outright irresponsible. There's nothing else for it. They are pack of stubborn stupid morons who can't see the light of day past their own butt cheeks.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne

barty boy said:
ok we are now almost half way through spring and things are looking grim for melbourne as far as water supply goes.
when will go to the next level of water restrictions?

Would that be level 3a.1? 3b?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003

1eyedtiger said:
I can't be 100% sure, but I was at Eildon last Friday and I'm pretty sure that the sign said that they are at stage 1 restrictions.

I wouldn't read much into the stage 1 status.  All of the district was made stage 1 when they decided to send water to Bendigo.  Not to mention the fight to get the N/S pipeline built. The Govt couldn't justify taking water from an area with higher restrictions could they?  ;)

Eildon weir is at 23.43 % of capacity. 

Graph of last 5 years water levels in Lake Eildon

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007

rosy23 said:
I wouldn't read much into the stage 1 status. All of the district was made stage 1 when they decided to send water to Bendigo. Not to mention the fight to get the N/S pipeline built. The Govt couldn't justify taking water from an area with higher restrictions could they? ;)

Eildon weir is at 23.43 % of capacity.

Graph of last 5 years water levels in Lake Eildon

Thanks for that Rosy. Interesting website you linked to there.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24552093-2862,00.html

Stage 4 water bans unlikely

Peter Rolfe, State politics reporter

October 26, 2008 12:00am
TOUGH stage 4 water restrictions are not expected to be introduced in Melbourne, despite plummeting dam storages and one of the driest springs in 100 years.

Water Minister Tim Holding is expected to announce within weeks Melbourne will not face harsh permanent bans on watering lawns and gardens.

With such restrictions likely to have a huge impact on jobs, gardens and sports grounds, a government source last night said stage 4 bans would almost certainly not be implemented.

"In these economic times, it's highly unlikely we're going to initiate a restriction that would have such an impact on jobs," the source said.

With water storages dwindling and Melbourne approaching its driest start to spring since 1914, the Government must make a decision on stage 4 when stage 3a bans are due for review on November 30.

The trigger for stage 4 restrictions is storage levels of about 29 per cent, and they are now about 34 per cent.

Under stage 4, people would be banned from washing buildings, windows and paved areas unless there was an accident, fire, safety hazard or emergency.

While the Government is not expected to implement stage 4, Opposition water spokeswoman Louise Asher predicted it would create stage 3b - between 3a and 4.
"I don't think they will go to stage 4 because it will kill every garden in Melbourne and destroy every sporting ground," Ms Asher said.

But Nationals leader Peter Ryan said the Government should implement stage 4 water restrictions as soon as the trigger point was reached.

The pending decision comes as Victorian and South Australian ministers clash over the controversial north-south pipeline.

Victorian Senator David Feeney has told South Australian Senator Nick Xenophon to butt out after he lashed the Brumby Government for building a pipe to take water from country Victoria to Melbourne.

Senator Xenophon was to attend a protest rally in Yea today.

He said the $700 million 70km pipeline from the Goulburn River to Sugarloaf Reservoir threatened to destroy the Murray Darling Basin and was an "act of environmental madness".

But Senator Feeney said his interstate rival should focus on his state's water concerns.

Nice to see Lousie Asher reads PRE ;D
Legends of 1980 said:
Would that be level 3a.1? 3b?

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Legends of 1980 said:
While the Government is not expected to implement stage 4, Opposition water spokeswoman Louise Asher predicted it would create stage 3b - between 3a and 4.

Nice to see Lousie Asher reads PRE ;D

Good stuff there Legends! :clap

barty boy

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 16, 2006
Listening to the water debate on 3AW this morning ,it was thrown up for discussion the need for more pipes to be built to bring water from elsewhere.is this the way of the future?
The current state Government in the form of our premier dont seem too concerned by our current plight.Do they know something we dont? have they been talking to the rain god?

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
barty boy said:
Listening to the water debate on 3AW this morning ,it was thrown up for discussion the need for more pipes to be built to bring water from elsewhere.is this the way of the future?
The current state Government in the form of our premier dont seem too concerned by our current plight.Do they know something we dont? have they been talking to the rain god?
I remember reading some time back about a scheme, to pipe water (from the wet season, a massive, massive amount of water going out to sea) from the Ord river in WA. Not just down to WA metro ares but also across central Australia, to fill Lake Eyre. Bit hazy on the details now, but would be of ths scope of the Snowy hydro scheme. It wasn't just to transport water but to set up for effecting a climate change by having a large body of water there.

Also in poli speak, we can't use the word drought now. We are experiencing a "dryness". Geez you've got to laugh at some of these politicians.

barty boy

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 16, 2006
willo do you think the scheme you discussed is similar to the one a few years back where some egg heads wanted to tow icebergs from anatarctica ,or do you think its in fact plausible?

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
willo said:
I remember reading some time back about a scheme, to pipe water (from the wet season, a massive, massive amount of water going out to sea) from the Ord river in WA. Not just down to WA metro ares but also across central Australia, to fill Lake Eyre. Bit hazy on the details now, but would be of ths scope of the Snowy hydro scheme. It wasn't just to transport water but to set up for effecting a climate change by having a large body of water there.

Also in poli speak, we can't use the word drought now. We are experiencing a "dryness". Geez you've got to laugh at some of these politicians.

I raised to possibility in the "populate and perish" thread (1st page) of digging a channel from the ocean in SA into the middle of Australia since it is below sea level and would naturally remain full. The differences between the the scheme you've raised and mine is that yours uses fresh water and mine would be salt water from the ocean. Since lake Eyre is already a salt pan, I don't see much difference but I'm not an expert in how water behaves. My scheme might also have the effect of negating rising sea levels by providing an extra space for sea water to go. The scheme you are referring to relies on seasonal rain fall which may fail in the future.

During that thread, T74 argued that my proposal may threaten the great artisan bore by introducing even more salt. I can't say whether that will be the case or not. My reasoning is similar to yours that an inland body of water may influence weather on the eastern side of Australia for the better and may reduce our reliance on the great artisan basin anyway.

Unfortunately, the political power that once existed that was vital to the development of this great nation (and responsible for the Snowy mountains scheme) no longer exists. Neither of our schemes will ever come close to seeing the light of day in the current political climate.

Too bad for us I suppose. Let's prepare for water restriction stages 3c, 3d, 3e, etc.

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
1eyedtiger said:
Unfortunately, the political power that once existed that was vital to the development of this great nation (and responsible for the Snowy mountains scheme) no longer exists. Neither of our schemes will ever come close to seeing the light of day in the current political climate.

This is a big factor on a lot of large scale infrastructure projects unfortunately. Last I heard they had finally decided to go ahead with the feasibility study to pipe water from the Ord to Perth, but even that was being fought.

This project (IMO) should have been done years ago, but I don't know WA politics enough to know all the issues around it.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
barty boy said:
willo do you think the scheme you discussed is similar to the one a few years back where some egg heads wanted to tow icebergs from anatarctica ,or do you think its in fact plausible?
I think this one is plausible barty. They gave the figures of the water rate going over the spillway etc, as I said, massive amounts.
Big task to do, but in todays "climate" I think we need to look outside the square as to what's doable.
Its been highlighted time and time again, the deterioration of the Murray/Darling as well as the Snowy, Murrimbidgee all suffering either from lack of intake and/or too much being taken out.
I feel for the irrigators and farmers trying to eke out a living. If they were forced off their properties we'd have to import more basic foodstuffs.
Costs that would be passed onto us, the consumer.

Spending billions$$ to buy back water isn't enough, not even sure whether It'll make much difference long-term.
We need to find more water to harvest. As well as recycle etc.
After posting mega-billion$ surpluses for the last decade, our government should be doing something that will have a lasting impact. If this could "drought-proof" Australia (or at least the nations food bowl) to an extent, it would be worth its weight in gold.
Just my thoughts.

barty boy

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 16, 2006
does anyone know how low our dams can get before the water becomes undrinkable? Or do they just add more chemicals to it until it does become drinkable

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
willo said:

yep the ord has been spoken about for decades over here. kalgoorlie which is about 600kilometres north of perth is supplied water from perths dams thru a pipeline to get water from the ord to perth we effectively only have to build a pipeline from the ord to kal. atfrom kal to perth we just reverse the pumps.the pipe line is already there.

as far as i can gather perth has an annual rainfall of about 850 mm more than london yet we have severe water shortage.we really are a dumb lot if we cant find a way to harness this.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
the claw said:
yep the ord has been spoken about for decades over here. kalgoorlie which is about 600kilometres north of perth is supplied water from perths dams thru a pipeline to get water from the ord to perth we effectively only have to build a pipeline from the ord to kal. atfrom kal to perth we just reverse the pumps.the pipe line is already there.

as far as i can gather perth has an annual rainfall of about 850 mm more than london yet we have severe water shortage.we really are a dumb lot if we cant find a way to harness this.

What do you think of the odds of the Ord Scheme getting the go ahead Claw.
Do you know of the figures $$ bandied around as to the cost. To get to Kal, then perhaps further east.
Any thoughts?
Wish the Feds would free up some of the proposed by-back $billions and work with private investors or do it with funding from SA, NSW and Vic if they wanted to pipe it to the east. Big, big project but I reckon it would pay off for future generations, similar to the Snowy Scheme, it takes vision.

Just had a check of Londons rainfall out of interest, approx 588mm pa.
So Perths rainfall well in excess of Londons. I found that amazing, just wouldn't have thought that was the case.

Freezer

Tiger Legend
Feb 22, 2007
willo said:
What do you think of the odds of the Ord Scheme getting the go ahead Claw.
Do you know of the figures $$ bandied around as to the cost. To get to Kal, then perhaps further east.
Any thoughts?
Wish the Feds would free up some of the proposed by-back $billions and work with private investors or do it with funding from SA, NSW and Vic if they wanted to pipe it to the east. Big, big project but I reckon it would pay off for future generations, similar to the Snowy Scheme, it takes vision.

Just had a check of Londons rainfall out of interest, approx 588mm pa.
So Perths rainfall well in excess of Londons. I found that amazing, just wouldn't have thought that was the case.

Just *smile* cold here in London!

Most water loss is through old infrustructure. The recent cold snap has played havoc with pipes - don't cope well with frozen water.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Apparently 7 years of Perth's water use flows down the Ord every single day, but Greens are claiming if water is taken from the river then the mouth will silt up!

The thing that makes me laugh about the Greens in Victoria is that their vote comes mainly from the Tookar / Malvern region. This is the same region that has more 4 wheel drive registrations than any other part of the state.

As for the UK, has anyome heard about the World Conveyer belt which is a warm water current that circulates along the East Coast of Africa and back up around the UK before heading back?

Without this warm water current, all of the UK will be plunged into an ice age. With the melting of the poles, the worry is that the fresh water entering the system will shut down the World Conveyer Belt. UK govt's are spending a fortune on research as the fear is that is could be working one day, and literally shut down over a period of as little as 4 to 6 years!

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Bloody unreal at the minute in Melbourne.

I've run outta tank water and it's only January.

A garden's not a camel.

RAIN GODAMMIT!!!

TIGEREXTRA

Tiger Legend
Jun 20, 2004
Melbourne
I bought a pool from bunnings on special. It was only cheap, around 20 bucks on clearance. It is 366cm x 76cm.

Was about to set it up and then thought I better check the local council website becasue it is going to tale a bit of water.

I was shocked to read that you need a permit and also pool fencing for any pool or spa with a water depth of 30cm or more.

What the?

30 cm!!!

This is crap! Now I am to worried to set up incase a neighbour dobs me in.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
hehe.I did that last year but it popped towards the end of the season. It's good for days like this just to sit in and drink beer.

Just half fill it dude.

Special drunken tip,use some 'white king' bleach instead of clorine,that way you don't have to keepemptying it and re- filling it with fresh water.