We are mad if we don't go after Sheedy next year! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

We are mad if we don't go after Sheedy next year!

tigerjoe

EAT 'EM ALIVE TIGERS!
Aug 24, 2003
Melbourne
Of all the "real coaches" (the only ones who can develop teams and mould clubs to win premierships) the only one that we would have any chance of securing would be Kevin Sheedy.

His coaching record speaks for itself.

His ability to recognise young talent and develop them is second to none.

His passion and knowledge of the game is also one of the best.

And more importantly the respect that his players, staff , admin & supporters show for him , that results in bringing the club together , recruit nearly 40,000 members, have Essendon recognised and supported all over Australia, is what Richmond needs.

And so are premierships of which he has coached 4.
And by the way in case some of you didn't know one of the main reason's why we won our last flag in 1980 was because Kevin Sheedy was Tony Jewell's assistant. He was the one that guided TJ in that great year!

As I right this post I am again watching Essendon play in the finals and have yet another chance of winning another flag.

His contract with Essendon finishes at the end of next year. Let's take a leaf out of Eddie scumbags book in getting another of our masterminds in Malthouse.

Lets get fair dinkum nobody could dispute my post
"Why do we need a new coach?" Sept 7 2003.
If we want continued sustained success then Kevin is our man.

I will not relent in my criticism of the current situation and will not give up calling for change until we are back where we belong!
I won't listen to the media and others who call people like me "one of the Richmond people who eats their own", the fact that we again have had yet another bad year makes my resolve even stronger.

We are too soft.

Change and only big change will bring Richmond what it needs.

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
tigerjoe i agree but i think you aim a bit high in sheedy. All we need is someone who can coach even my daughters netball coach would be better than frawley ;D

tigerjoe

EAT 'EM ALIVE TIGERS!
Aug 24, 2003
Melbourne
If we don't aim high we will end up with middle to low end pretenders who believe they can coach but can't (geischen and frawley).

We need the best to get us out of the mess that has been created, its a job that only someone who has been there before can do.

vladz

Take us forward!
Jul 20, 2003
Canterbury
i agree with you tigerjoe but as nwonash said, why would he come to us? he will look at our side and will straight away deny anything we have to offer, first we have to finish high up the ladder and then aim for good coaches.

vladz

Take us forward!
Jul 20, 2003
Canterbury
Our performance is not only because of our coach, look at our side, there is nothing to work with only with about 10 players.

tigerjoe

EAT 'EM ALIVE TIGERS!
Aug 24, 2003
Melbourne
And that is the fault of the coach and his assistants.
He determines what sort of player and who to recruit.

If the coach has no idea then the result is what we have now.

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
The one thing that we do have in our favour with Sheedy is the fact that he was a legendary tiger and it is obvious that he still has a soft spot for the yellow and black. I don't think he would have enjoyed seeing the club that he made feared and revered in the 60s and 70s struggle as much as we have since he left at the end of 1980. That fact I think is in our favour.

The thing that is against us getting Sheedy is his age and whether he wants to give up a promising list at Bomberland that could challenge for a Premiership again over the next 3 years to crawl back into the trenches down at Punt Road.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Young Tiger said:
The thing that is against us getting Sheedy is his age and whether he wants to give up a promising list at Bomberland that could challenge for a Premiership again over the next 3 years to crawl back into the trenches down at Punt Road.

I have wondered this as well YT, but I can't help thinking that this would appeal to someone of SHEEDY's character and would have a certain romance for him.

I also wonder what he feels about Harvey. ie does he want him to move on or does he see some merit in handing over his reigns to HARVEY who was a premiership player in the Red and Black, and then move onto greater challenges (Tigerland) (Otherwise his mums wooden spoon will wail again)

I do think that SHEEDs age is an issue that we need to consider, but I think the benefits would far outweigh the negatives.

Even if SHEEDS took it on with a three or four year window, I am sure that he would groom someone suitable to take the reigns when the time was right

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
I agree entirely Gus. I for one would be absolutely ecstatic if the club this time next year announed that Kevin Sheedy had been signed as Richmond coach for 2005.

I would love to see Sheedy take up the challenge. He will always be a legend of the game but imagine how much his standing as a coach would be further heightened if he could top off his coaching career by coaching Richmond to a flag in 5 years time.

I can only pray and hope.

Walster

I am Walstero the most beautiful man in the world
Aug 13, 2003
Yes I think Sheeds would love the challenge. The only reason he didnt come in 2000 was that he wanted to finish the job that he started at the bummers with that particular side. He's done that now.......so only time will tell.

lotus1

CANT WAIT TO GET MY HANDS ON FRAWDLEY
Jul 12, 2003
Doncaster
Gee you guys are a bit slow,i mentioned this to you 2 months ago about the greg Miller plan,thats why he came out early and said that he wont sack Frawley why sack Frawley now just when Sheedy looks set to leave the Bombers at the end of 04 just when Frawleys contract ends,i was onto this from the start,Sheedy will be coach in 05 and beyond. If Miller sacks Frawley now that means we would have to appoint another coach for 2 or 3 years which means we will lose our last shot to get Sheedy,dont worry about Miller he is looking much further ahead than what you think he is.

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
I personally believe that with our current playing list, it doesnt matter who coaches us, we'll go nowhere.

Fact is that our recuiting was been dreadful from the past 7 years. Once we get our recuiting correct, success will follow soon.

It's alot like the Hawthorn of the mid 80's - early 90's. It didnt matter who was the coach, they had the team to get the job done. Alan Joyce coached them for one year and they won the premiership. Proof that its a matter of getting the recuiting right.

Leigh Matthers or Kevin Sheedy wont do much better with the present list we have.

Sheedy is getting old and will more than likely retire at the end of next year. I don't see money being the issue for Sheedy, he is a bomber to heart, the team he barracked for as a kid.

I guess time will tell who and when our next coach is

tigerjoe

EAT 'EM ALIVE TIGERS!
Aug 24, 2003
Melbourne
Call me desperate and clutching at straws nwonash, but I cannot see a light at the end of the tunnell without a proven coach at our helm.
Sheedy has promised his mum that he will one day go back to Richmond, I hope that this and the enormous challenge we would present can sway him.
He is one of only a few who can recruit young guns and successfully mould them into champion teams.

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
tigerjoe said:
Sheedy has promised his mum that he will one day go back to Richmond.

Can we get Ian Campbell to put Sheedy's mum on the payroll and get her to up the ante a bit with her son Kevin?

A bit more pressure from Sheed's mum is what we need!

Can the club go out and buy her a new wooden stick or something so that she can get Sheeds to agree to come back and coach the Tigers?

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
I do believe age is an important factor here. Maybe the main reason Hafey did not get the job when Frawley did was maybe of the same reason back then ... age...

Sheedy has mentioned in the past he would love to come back to RFC in any form,once he was finished at the EFC. A telling sign will be for any hope of him coming back is Harvey. If Harvey lands a coaching job other this year then any dreams of anyone has of Sheedy coming back will never eventuate.

There is no question Sheedy is a better coach than Frawley, but what you might find is that he might be brought back in Jewels position and assist heavily in Frawley's development to be that long term succcessful coach we all thrive to have at RFC.

Deep down Frawley would love to coach STK, but while snake-pit back-stabbing Thomas is there, Frawley will not return. This is highlighted when Blight when he brought back Frawley to give a speech to STK players and they won the game.

Not sure who's realised this, but Sheedy's been a Bomber supporter all his life. He had a fantastic 251 games in the yellow and black in just over a decade at the club. But he has since coached 545 games in 23 years at Essendon, and there's now some magic expectation of him returning to Tigerland because we have mammoth problems and Essendon don't... HELLO???

Sheedy's been a Bomber through and through since before I was born. He's an important part of Richmond history, but that's all it is... history. Every year there's talk of him returning to Tigerland, but it won't happen. We have to learn that Sheedy's our foe, and has been for 23 years. If he does come back, fantastic. If not, I for one will not be surprised.

TS