We can't hide from the fact we have a discipline problem | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

We can't hide from the fact we have a discipline problem

Stoobes

Tiger Rookie
May 24, 2005
Article below, the relevant parts anyway

AFL umpiring: Ray Chamberlain retained for Geelong-Collingwood clash, Pies ranked No. 1 for free kicks in 2020
Richmond has coughed up a staggering 25 50m penalties this year. No other club has given away more than 17. Who are the repeat offenders? Sam Landsberger dives into the key umpiring stats ahead of the semi-finals.
Sam Landsberger, Herald Sun

Meanwhile, Richmond’s lack of discipline has been laid bare, with the Tigers ranked second-last for free kick differential and last for giving away 50m penalties in 2020.
The Tigers have coughed up a staggering 25 50m penalties this year, with Jack Riewoldt, Dustin Martin and Shai Bolton all conceding three each.
That’s effectively giving away 1250m gained, which is further than Dustin Martin, Shai Bolton and Trent Cotchin advanced the ball on Friday night.
Richmond star Dustin Martin has been ill-disciplined at times during the 2020 season. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images
No other club has given away more than 17 this season, while fellow finalists Western Bulldogs (six), St Kilda (eight) and West Coast (nine) have conceded far less from the same number of games (18).
Bolton’s two unforgivable 50m penalties against Brisbane on Friday night gifted the Lions two goals in the 15-point loss.
“We gave away undisciplined free kicks in the back end of that second quarter and the reality is that was the difference in the game,” Hardwick said.
“We have got to get better in that part of the game.
“Every now and then it rears its ugly head and unfortunately it was on the big stage, so it’s really disappointing.”
Coach Damien Hardwick was unimpressed at the 50m penalties against Brisbane. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images
The Tigers addressed their mild case of white-line fever after Martin and Josh Caddy gave away 50m penalties in the Round 11 loss to Port Adelaide.
“We’ve got a bit of a protocol at the moment, if you do give away a 50, young Parker’s nappy, Trent’s baby, will be getting changed by that person,” Hardwick said a the time.
Hardwick said at halftime the umpires were “trigger happy” and, after the loss, called for them to just let the players play.
Free kicks were down from 32.2 (home-and-away) to 27.6 (week one) to start the finals
But the Tigers are -64 for the season, which is 15 worse than the 16th-ranked Essendon.
Scott’s team isn’t far behind the sloppy Tigers, with Geelong -44 in free kicks, ranked 15th.
Collingwood (+76) and Port Adelaide (+45) are the umpires’ darlings this season, ranked No. 1 and 2 in the AFL.
The Magpies even managed to win the free kick count 16-12 against West Coast at Perth Stadium on Saturday night.
The other remaining finalists have just about broken even, with the Lions +3 and St Kilda -3.

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Will this mean anything?
May just make the umpires more trigger happy against the Tigers and look for more 50/50 frees and pay them against us. Even 50 metre penalties.
Staggering we have given away so many this year and No 1 with a bullet.
Collingwood & Port the darlings.
Goodluck Cats against them Pies and whoever plays Port in the PF.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
When you have situations like Dusty kicking the ball as the whistle goes and incurring a 50 it is little surprise we give away a lot of 50s.

Maybe if they umpired consis . . . oh why bother.

DS

Reactions: 5 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
As Jack said post game this was probably the most concerning aspect of last night.

We were starting to unravel & look like a rabble later in the game but the problems were there early too.

Pickett, Balta, Vlastuin, Bolton & others all making very costly, undisciplined decisions.

One minute it seemed like we had a truckload of leaders who could replace Cotch but we've lost a few recently. Some through injury to be fair.
I don't think we can underestimate Shedda's ability to glue a team together either.

The connection looks gone atm.

What young leaders are going stand up from this realisation that our older players time is coming to a close?

Interesting times ahead..

Reactions: 1 users

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
As Jack said post game this was probably the most concerning aspect of last night.

We were starting to unravel & look like a rabble later in the game but the problems were there early too.

Pickett, Balta, Vlastuin, Bolton & others all making very costly, undisciplined decisions.

One minute it seemed like we had a truckload of leaders who could replace Cotch but we've lost a few recently. Some through injury to be fair.
I don't think we can underestimate Shedda's ability to glue a team together either.

The connection looks gone atm.

What young leaders are going stand up from this realisation that our older players time is coming to a close?

Interesting times ahead..
Yeah the synergy is gone.

Lambert-Edwards-Prestia-Cotchin-Dusty together was a thing of beauty.

Reactions: 2 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
You want a culture problem? This is a culture problem. Seems to be a streak of entitled arrogance amongst some of them. I've got news for ya boys.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
When we were flying..a 50 here and there didn't change the result (it did in the 1st final 2020)
Where 1 50 today changes the course of the game.
The Bolton kicking the ball away after Warner's free kick is a dropable offensive.
Would Hardwick do it? NO

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
It’s like an arrogance thing , oh we have won plenty of flags I’ll do whatever I want type thing.

Sooner they accept we aren’t that team anymore & pull their heads in otherwise send them to the VFL, how else are they going to learn.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
The culture we had has definitely eroded. Time to get back to basics, and one of those is not giving away stupid penalties. We know the flogs are trigger happy with us and give our opponents leeway (witness no 50 for dissent when Papley went off his head after the free had been called against him. Taranto, I think, was pinged for going over the line when the umpire hadn’t signaled for the mark or called STAND!), but stuff like the Bolton one is avoidable. Make a rule if a player does something like that they get dragged.

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
The culture we had has definitely eroded. Time to get back to basics, and one of those is not giving away stupid penalties. We know the flogs are trigger happy with us and give our opponents leeway (witness no 50 for dissent when Papley went off his head after the free had been called against him. Taranto, I think, was pinged for going over the line when the umpire hadn’t signaled for the mark or called STAND!), but stuff like the Bolton one is avoidable. Make a rule if a player does something like that they get dragged.
In regards to the culture a mate of mine was at a funeral 12 or so months ago & one of our recently retired players happened to be there as well & my mate being a mad tiger at the opportune time introduced himself & got chatting & he mentioned the culture was becoming an issue

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
It's not easy to go from being the bullies, to getting bullied.

With the subtle difference being we longer care.

Three flags makes players untouchable to banter, but they can still be made to look lazy and uninterested.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Now the umpires are aware of 'discipline' issues.
50's will be paid against us before the bounce of the ball

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Cultures of sports teams on the decline will start to collapse as an element of self preservation and selfishness comes over large swaths of the playing group.