We lost it at the selection table | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

We lost it at the selection table

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
My ideal headline for tomorrow's newspaper...

Richmond remains undefeated for the season as Carlton fails to claim a victory in Round 1 yet again

Who will end Richmond's undefeated streak?

The AFL world once again witnessed the traditional annual failure of Carlton to overcome the triple premiership team in a nail-biting affair.

However, Richmond's ominous undefeated streak was perhaps overshadowed by a spectacular post-match revelation on Twitter that Kane Cornes has finally announced his retirement from AFL media, effective immediately.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
I thought we were cooked so very happy to take 2 points.
You only had to see the faces of most Carlscum supporters at the siren.
Was like a loss for them.
Happy not to play them again.
For a decade we used to just have to turn up for them to hand us 4 points.
Those days are gone.
Mansell and Ross were bewildering selections.
Juddy would have ripped 'em to shreds with his pace and skill.
Hoping the lads got through unscathed.
Load up for next week.

Reactions: 1 user

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Dimma gets to cute with his selections at times always pick the best players available.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Dimma gets to cute with his selections at times always pick the best players available.
I reckon those who think a 3 gamer who averages 1 goal/game, less than 10 disposals, and who had 4 disposals in his last game of AFL would have certainly been the difference are a little deluded.

then we get the return of the "Dimma pets" for those selections that are disagreed with, or perhaps not understood.

and then we get the calls that forward pressure is now redundant, after watching us lock the ball in our fwd half for long periods.

Hardwick and the match committee have been bagged at various times in the last few years for moving DRioli to the back flank, for continuing to pick Houli and Grigg, for moving Baker back and then forward, for playing 1 ruck, for playing 2 rucks in our 2019 premiership, for playing Caddy on a wing (in a premiership side). Im sure they are more. they get some wrong, but they get plenty right as well

Reactions: 10 users

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
I reckon those who think a 3 gamer who averages 1 goal/game, less than 10 disposals, and who had 4 disposals in his last game of AFL would have certainly been the difference are a little deluded.
Clarke was promoted a little early last year, and has progressed since then. Didn't you like what you saw in the preseason games?

Meanwhile, Mansell's never shown much and only started training forward when JC retired. A selection reach.

Reactions: 1 users

HKTigerB

Tiger Rookie
Jun 24, 2019
Clarke was promoted a little early last year, and has progressed since then. Didn't you like what you saw in the preseason games?

Meanwhile, Mansell's never shown much and only started training forward when JC retired. A selection reach.
Mansell has been training forward all pre-season, since the start of December well before Jason retired.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
without Mansell we probably lose the game ...

took a good sliding mark in front of Saad and then found Hopper with the corridor kick ..

yes it doesn't mean he should remain, but his last play was good !

Reactions: 4 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
For mine, the only player that really underperformed on the night was Balta.
Beaten pointlessly. Should be under more scrutiny.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
For mine, the only player that really underperformed on the night was Balta.
Beaten pointlessly. Should be under more scrutiny.

Id only really give danny and dusty a pass.

Which is a great sign

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Forwards are a rare breed. If you put makeshift players in there to play a role, they often stuff things up. Cumberland plays before Mansell every day of the week.

Reactions: 3 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

I like Clarke, I would have picked him before Mansell.
But the suggestion that he would definitely have made a difference, not by you, is a bit of a stretch i reckon.

and i think really only Hardwick and the MC can judge what impact Mansell had to our structure, positive or otherwise.

checkside

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2005
Australia
I am sure. He's not the answer. As well as not been able to get the pill he's slow.

Anyway Maurice plays the pressure role already and can give us attacking impact.
Not saying Mansell is the answer, but he’s far from slow.

I’m a big Judson Clarke fan, he’ll be a good player but comparing him to Mansell is so far off it. Mansell clearly selected for a role, and that wasn’t to kick goals.

Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
This thread has been a long time coming, so we may as well formalise it.

I’ll begin.

Mansell. Cumberland may or may not have made a difference, but given our poor forward entries I’m confident Juddy’s disposal and nous would have made the difference tonight.
Jud wouldve made a positive difference for mine and he needs to be in next week.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Not saying Mansell is the answer, but he’s far from slow.

I’m a big Judson Clarke fan, he’ll be a good player but comparing him to Mansell is so far off it. Mansell clearly selected for a role, and that wasn’t to kick goals.
Well he’s far from quick. As I’ve said before the game has changed since 2020 and solely defensive forwards are like dodo birds. You need to be an attacking option as well.