We lost it at the selection table | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

We lost it at the selection table

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Precisely. Balta played so well on McKay that he was moved off him in the last quarter and Miller had to take up the role.
If Miller goes back, I am trying here, but he seems to be most comfortable when he is at kpp farthest from goal, either goal, (half back or half forward).
Hope Tyler Young is available soon because we badly need to bring in a solid full back. And Tarrant ain’t it.

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Just to clarify, you dont know what his role was or how well he did it, but you are sure the other 2 could have done it better?

The problem most fans have is they can judge how well a player does when they have the ball, but have no idea what role they are playing without it. It took some years to acknowledge the work our wings do, some still cant see it. But I am sure the MC is judging Mansell on how well he holds position, whether he gets sucked into packs, or stays in a position to restrict a defensive clearance, how quickly he reacts to the opposition winning the ball back, and how effectively he guards space to force them to kick down the line.
Seems just need a trained monkey or a robot then. I prefer exciting instinctive forwards that spend their time trying to create and score and be dangerous.
But he’s Dimma and I aint.
Before last weeks game I said Mansell will be out of the team anyway in a few weeks max, so the selection was a waste of time. Let’s see.
He wouldn’t get a game as a small forward in any of the contending teams

Reactions: 1 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
100% we lost because we selected too many players who missed large chunks of preseason Ross Pickett Short & Graham.
Short and Ross shouldve stayed home.
And then throw in the selection of Mansell.
We didn't give ourselves a chance.
Pick Dow or Sampson

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I like Clarke, I would have picked him before Mansell.
But the suggestion that he would definitely have made a difference, not by you, is a bit of a stretch i reckon.

and i think really only Hardwick and the MC can judge what impact Mansell had to our structure, positive or otherwise.
Clarke instead of Ross as sub might have made the difference though.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
The excuse from Dimma for not picking Noah as he plays like Dusty is a shocker!! If you have a bloke that you are comparing to possibly one of the best of all time then you don't leave him out of the team because they are too similar. Reality is Noah is the perfect Jack R replacement as he has some smarts around goal, good strength and puts them between the big sticks. Unfortunately Dimma aint droping Jack.
The big concern is if they are trying to teach Noah new tricks they may just ruin what he already has which is very promising. See Ross and Noah experiments.

Perhaps Mansell played his role to a tee and did all that was asked of him from the coaching panel. To me he looked like a player that was completely lost and not enjoying his footy.

Ross as a sub just doesn't work. Didn't last year and won't this year. You need your sub to be energetic, that can instantly impact the game. Ross is a slow burner. Also agree with many he is continually played out of position which is frustrating in itself. He is a midfield extractor. Nothing more nothing less. Just play the bloody kid to his strengths. Our ideal sub is Cotch. Can play a qtr and a half and just become the cannonball. Would be great in tight games.

Last year team selections were terrible for the most part and did cost us in many close games. The frustrating part is that trend may continue again in 2023.

Reactions: 2 users

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
The excuse from Dimma for not picking Noah as he plays like Dusty is a shocker!! If you have a bloke that you are comparing to possibly one of the best of all time then you don't leave him out of the team because they are too similar. Reality is Noah is the perfect Jack R replacement as he has some smarts around goal, good strength and puts them between the big sticks. Unfortunately Dimma aint droping Jack.
The big concern is if they are trying to teach Noah new tricks they may just ruin what he already has which is very promising. See Ross and Noah experiments.

Perhaps Mansell played his role to a tee and did all that was asked of him from the coaching panel. To me he looked like a player that was completely lost and not enjoying his footy.

Ross as a sub just doesn't work. Didn't last year and won't this year. You need your sub to be energetic, that can instantly impact the game. Ross is a slow burner. Also agree with many he is continually played out of position which is frustrating in itself. He is a midfield extractor. Nothing more nothing less. Just play the bloody kid to his strengths. Our ideal sub is Cotch. Can play a qtr and a half and just become the cannonball. Would be great in tight games.

Last year team selections were terrible for the most part and did cost us in many close games. The frustrating part is that trend may continue again in 2023.
I think Dimma was having a sly dig at Noah’s lack of defence (Like Dusty’s).