We won’t get to unfurl our 2019 Flag | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

We won’t get to unfurl our 2019 Flag

Tass

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 3, 2005
This is purely a footy related comment, so don’t get all sensitive on me with ‘there are bigger issues at the moment blah, blah’. But as a Tiger Tragic, I feel cheated that we won’t get to unfurl our 2019 Flag :mad:.

• Sad
Reactions: 14 users

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Can always do it next year and unfurl both at the same time.
Back to back.
Or last round before Finals this year at our other fortress, The Gabba!

• Love
Reactions: 17 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Unfurling it before this years GF, on the Gabba, while Trent Cotchin plays tigerland on the Kazoo and Nathan Broad pulls Jack Higgins undies over his head

would be pretty intimidating.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
It has to be done this year. Cant leave it to next year in the risk we dont win it this year. That would be hollow.

Best we will be able to do is unfurl it before a home game in QLD or do it at a ceremony at Punt Rd streamed on the club website

Reactions: 4 users

Mantikorr

Tiger Superstar
Apr 26, 2006
Maybe we should just do it in two weeks at our away game against the giants, just to rub it in

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
This is purely a footy related comment, so don’t get all sensitive on me with ‘there are bigger issues at the moment blah, blah’. But as a Tiger Tragic, I feel cheated that we won’t get to unfurl our 2019 Flag :mad:.

Just spoke to Benny & Peg
On September the 26
We will unfurl the flag at punt rd oval.
The one year anniversary of the great day.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It has to be done this year. Cant leave it to next year in the risk we dont win it this year. That would be hollow.

Best we will be able to do is unfurl it before a home game in QLD or do it at a ceremony at Punt Rd streamed on the club website

Or both.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

we probably should have done it against Collingwood.

next best? Essendon?

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
I reckon we should unfurl it this week.

It might remind a few of our guys just what it is they are supposedly shooting for.

Maybe unfurl it EVERY WEEK :)

Reactions: 1 users

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020

Guaranteed it won’t be at the Gabba or Metricon

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Guaranteed it won’t be at the Gabba or Metricon

Probably not. But a ceremony at Punt Rd before one of the Gabba or Metricon games, shown on the video at the ground and streamed through the website and televised on Fox. That would work well.

Interestingly they had the jungle drummers playing the drums, which looked to be live, shown on the Gabba video before the boys ran out last weekend. Worked well, not the same but best we can expect at the moment. Got me up just that little bit more (my voice is only just getting back to normal ready to explode again this weekend)

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Can't say I'm too bothered. Never seen much significance in the flag ceremony.

What a wet bloody blanket.

What about the cup lifting ceremony? The lap of honour ceremony? The chairing-off ceremony? The premiership medals presentation ceremony? To the Victor's go the spoils, and the spoils are victory ceremonies. Footy is ceremony.

Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Can't say I'm too bothered. Never seen much significance in the flag ceremony.

I saw it in 2018 and it was a bit underwhelming, but it has a history right back to the start of the VFL (unlike the cup) and it is a veneration of the previous year's premiers.

You win, you get to unfurl the flag. We earned this, we get our time in the sun.

DS

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Here's a thought. when a big European football team makes a big signing, they present him to their fans at a special ceremony at their home ground and fill the stadium.

when crowds are allowed to return at some point next year (hopefully), why don't we do a flag unfurling at the MCG along these lines? Charge people $5, fill the stadium present the players and the cup/flag to the crowd, show highlights on the big screens and sell memorabilia.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yes all that.

For me, you win the premiership when the cup is lifted. That's the moment.

Running a pennant up a pole 6 months later adds nothing for me, I get more pleasure out of the gold logo on the jumper.

Agree. For me it's about the game and lifting the cup on the day.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yes all that.

For me, you win the premiership when the cup is lifted. That's the moment.

Running a pennant up a pole 6 months later adds nothing for me, I get more pleasure out of the gold logo on the jumper.

Each to their own but I like the fact that the flag raising at the start of the following season goes right back to 1898. However, I do like the fact that one old tradition seems to have gone - back in the old days the flag was raised by the Club President's wife and the previous years premiers invariably lost their round 1 game!

DS

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Could be interesting if we leave it till round one next year.

Judging by Blues fans at the moment they think us unveiling the 2019 flag might take the gloss off them unveiling the 2020 flag that they won