Weagles Game Day | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Weagles Game Day

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
The morning after the night before and if I was an opposition supporter I'd be thinking that Richmond seems to have timed their run into the business end of the season perfectly again. Bastards.

2019, round 15 is when it all started to click together.
Looks to be happening gain.
We'll get better from here on. Geelong, West coast are already at their peak.
Brisbane and Port look to be heading past their peak.
I think we are in a good position here.

Reactions: 3 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Just watched Adam Simpson's press briefing. Very impressed at the way he spoke, made no excuses and rightly said the better team won. If only the likes of Salty would have the manners to do the same

Reactions: 8 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
There’s a bit of crazy Joe Devola about Bailey Williams
Apparently from the Frankston Pines ..... played in a practice match down there years ago and wondered if we'd make it out alive.... back then they'd rather a 'fight than a feed'! Dunno if anything's changedo_O

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
It's a nice thought to reflect on that performance and then remember Prestia, Edwards and Astbury are still to return and Nankervis and Houli are underloaded, with minimal minutes from Grimes.
We seem to be doing pretty well without a few of them right now so I reckon they will need to earn their place in the side as it is no longer a given. Sure they may strengthen the side a bit but the current incumbents are doing OK

Reactions: 1 user

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Apparently from the Frankston Pines ..... played in a practice match down there years ago and wondered if we'd make it out alive.... back then they'd rather a 'fight than a feed'! Dunno if anything's changedo_O
Unlikely :mhihi

I remember all the ferals on the hill Down at Frankston when the Tiges played there a couple of times ,good ol suburban footy hey

• Haha

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Not sure about the crowd but I do think he measures his performance based on the game.It's a gruelling season so if he can carry 90% intensity in comfortable wins then it is smart management.

Having said that he has definitely played a very different role this season and done a lot of grunt work that he hasn't been asked to do for quite a few years. He might not have the highlights package but his team first footy has been elite.

Yes, I have noticed a bit more defensive play from Martin of late. Could be a function of the players we have out so we need more defensively from him at the moment or could be a tweaking of his role.

There's always a trade off as it means he is chasing someone rather than setting up for a turnover, creating/blocking space or something else, but nice to see him harassing oppo players.

DS

Butch67

Tiger Rookie
Mar 31, 2014
Im sure his old man (gun footballer btw) played for pines in the gf when lachie whitfields father got belted 100m off the ball by the pines fullback, a real dog act

• Sad

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
In the 80s one of the girls at work boyfriend played in that league. Came up against Pines in a final or GF.... he was apparently the gun for his team, left the ground in an ambulance straight to an operating thetre to have his face rebuilt. The Pines reputation was well and truly accurate. Whilst Frankston has become somewhat gentrified this century don't know what is going on up in the Pines FC but there is still pretty frequent news clips about all sort of crime up that area.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Im sure his old man (gun footballer btw) played for pines in the gf when lachie whitfields father got belted 100m off the ball by the pines fullback, a real dog act
Just read this after my post. My story would have been 89 to 91. And I was going to say he was the full forward. Wonder if my work colleague is the mother of L Whitfield.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
In the 80s one of the girls at work boyfriend played in that league. Came up against Pines in a final or GF.... he was apparently the gun for his team, left the ground in an ambulance straight to an operating thetre to have his face rebuilt. The Pines reputation was well and truly accurate. Whilst Frankston has become somewhat gentrified this century don't know what is going on up in the Pines FC but there is still pretty frequent news clips about all sort of crime up that area.
Just to be sure, I don't want to appear to be bashing a local club that I have no current knowledge of and I imagine you're the same.
I should have added in my original post that the team I was involved with were by no means a bunch of choir boys!....
Diamond Valley footy along with many other comps of the 70's and 80's was no place for the faint hearted .... of which I was one!

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
According to the site that cannot be named, we are paying 1.77 and WCE are 2.05. Can that be right?
I'd have the Weagles as favourites and by a much bigger margin than that.
The money is usually right

Birdman19

Plodder
Apr 16, 2009
In defense of the Pines, yes ,there are some rough elements still there but the community there are really behind the 8 ball when it comes to life chances , social modelling etc. Frankston Central, Frankston South and even Seaford are slowly becoming more gentrified but the Pines with its one bus line and a 3 km walk to the nearest train station for whatever reason has seemingly stagnated. I applaud anyone that has transcended their environment and have not let their postcode define them, like Bruce Wilson Liberal MP, Russell Greene, Nathan Burke, Stephen Foster (triathlete) and now Bailey Williams. They bring some pride to an area of 6000 people who generally don't think they have have much to be proud about.

Reactions: 4 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I lived in the City of Frankston between 1993 and 2010 In Carrum Downs and Frankston. Sometimes I had to venture Into the Pines (There’s one road in and one road out) and it’s bit like going into another world.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
My eyes have certainly been opened this season to the hype around Nicnat.

Reactions: 1 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
I lived in the City of Frankston between 1993 and 2010 In Carrum Downs and Frankston. Sometimes I had to venture Into the Pines (There’s one road in and one road out) and it’s bit like going into another world.

Frankston!
woah, the respect I had for you has just dropped. Mine you my opion wasn’t that high to start off with.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Not convinced that's what Martin meant, I heard it too, but I could see an effort to get the fist to the ball, just couldn't see if he managed to handball. Anyway, fully justified in asking how the ump could see it, after all, they couldn't see the "tap" to Riewoldt in last year's QF. After that you would have to assume they are sight impaired!

We must have set up very well last night given the ineffectiveness of their intercept defenders. Just impossible to see this on the TV - they need to get better at choosing camera angles which show some of this.

Dustin Martin is an interesting one. He does really come across as someone who's sole goal is to win. All players want to win, but Martin seems a bit more obsessed, to the extent that, while he is committed to playing the starring role just because he can, that is less important than getting the team a win, even to the extent that he will sacrifice his own play to make the team better. He clearly understands that teams win games, not stars. Stars make a huge contribution, but they can't win a team game on their own - this is one of the factors which make him such a great player.
But I mainly responded to this post for the last sentence. Look at that line up of players out or just returning and still a bit rusty. The opposition should be very scared if we can get even some of them back. Geez, add Astbury down back, Prestia in the middle along with Shedda, wow, great additions to a team already showing it can play well. Bloody hard to see who can be dropped (although a couple of candidates, who would make any other team).

A valuable win, we're in this up to our necks and that's all you can really ask of the team. We are a contender. If we can finish top 4 we are in with a good shot.

DS
I think that’s always been Dustin’s thing. He’s very much a team player. His first goal is to help the team win, not the individual accolades or achievements, he gets those as well, because he’s that damn good. He’s kind of like the anti Dangerfield.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Centre Bounce Setup

Ruck: Soldo 17, Nanks 9, Natanui 20, Williams 6
Mids: Bolton 22, Martin 23, Cotch 18, Graham 8, Lambert 4, Dow 3
Wing: Pickett 24, Dow 14, KMac 8, Rioli 4, Aarts 2

1598678200921.png

Reactions: 5 users