WEEK 1 FINALS 2021 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

WEEK 1 FINALS 2021

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
You can only conclude that Greene is just a bit of a moron.

Great footballer and I really can't understand why he does these things - bump an umpire, scratch peoples' faces, foot out to mark - just unnecessary when not only is he a great player but he can swing games all by himself.

DS
Toby's brain fades, especially in finals have been going on for years. To call him a bit of a moron is a bit harsh considering we don't know his intellectual capacity! He has to accept personal responsibility for his actions but GWS must take some blame here as well. They must stop excusing his behaviour as "playing on the edge" therefore he might go over the edge now and again. BS. Have they tried giving him the support he has needed through a sports psyche like Emma? Re-directing his anger, not losing focus, staying in the moment, etc. Perhaps it's too late for him now, but it's clear to me he has been let down.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Brisbane :rotfl1 :rotfl1
Sydney what a bunch of wankers Duddy, Pappy, And Longmire suck *smile*. See ya back in the bottom 4.
Geelong and Essendon Kryptonite is September,

Reactions: 1 user

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
Absolute *smile*. Toby deliberately shoulders him. The giveaway is Toby does not move his gaze or act surprised. Moronic action by Toby and equally moronic post.
Hmmmm....not sure why so upset about this.
The point I was making was that the umpire was in amongst the GWS group of players as they walked away.
It was not his place to be there !
He was placing himself where contact was a potential problem. Toby should have avoided him but the fault was not only Toby's.
Similar situations
1 Hawks player who got infront of Soldo as he walked away , making contact very likely. Soldo suspended.

2 Umpire tells players where he is backing away after a bounce , to warn them not to get in his way, to avoid contact. If they get in this position and contact is made, the player is guilty, not the umpire.

Point is the umpire made contact much more likely as he was amongst the players as they walked off. Some responsibility is his.
FWIW...the contact was minimal and the apologists amongst us are getting up in arms over nothing.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Miserable here agree. You in iso like half the town?
Yes. Cannot do anything except go for a walk. Cannot converse with neighbours, have to have grocery delivery when they have goods available.
Thank goodness for PRE and Foxtel to at least have semblance of living.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
The point I was making was that the umpire was in amongst the GWS group of players as they walked away.
He was placing himself where contact was a potential problem. Toby should have avoided him but the fault was not only Toby's.
Similar situations
1 Hawks player who got infront of Soldo as he walked away , making contact very likely. Soldo suspended.

2 Umpire tells players where he is backing away after a bounce , to warn them not to get in his way, to avoid contact. If they get in this position and contact is made, the player is guilty, not the umpire.

Point is the umpire made contact much more likely as he was amongst the players as they walked off. Some responsibility is his.
FWIW...the contact was minimal and the apologists amongst us are getting up in arms over nothing.
Umpires interact with players all the time but amazingly 99.9% of players avoid shoulder bumping them. Incredible.

The fault is all Toby's. He's no victim. He's a highly talented footballer. But a recidivist who's had countless people try and help him grow up. No doubt we will read another story from someone outside football who is mentoring him and will tell us what a terrific fellow he is. And leader. That's 2 key finals this leader will miss through self-indulgence? Stupidity? Arrogance? That's not leadership.

Apologists? :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 users

rensman

interpreter to the stars...
May 6, 2004
North Eastern Victoria
Yes. Cannot do anything except go for a walk. Cannot converse with neighbours, have to have grocery delivery when they have goods available.
Thank goodness for PRE and Foxtel to at least have semblance of living.
Yeh its horrible. Dm me if you need food I can get some delivered to you

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Yeh its horrible. Dm me if you need food I can get some delivered to you
Thank you so much rensman, for your caring for a fellow Tiger and wife.
However we are coping with Woolies and Coles delivering.
Looks like Shepparton will miss out on any slight lifting of restrictions.
Thanks again.

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
Similar situations

I'll challenge the Soldo event
small context
a goal has been kicked and Ivan turns and runs back to the centre
the Hawks player jumps in front of him to intiate contact and throws head back a la Selwood
Soldo braced himself with his forearm , pure reflex , contact between the two was made
I believe no contact above the chest , but you had to watch real close
Soldo gets a week

the larger context
Lil Gaz had twice hunted guys from behind and the side jumping up to bang his forearm into their heads
clips played endlessly , and lil Gaz gets off
the football world was screaming

and the Soldo incident presents itself , real pennies from heaven stuff, at that time he is a football nobody , totally expendable , gone
they would have read out the verdict before they read out the charge stuff ...

1 or 2 weeks later lil Gaz does it again and this time goes

in the context of Greene - Stevic it isn't a valid precedent , its player / player were some level of contact is accepted , player / umpire is treated very differently

players have to be ultra aware of the umpires and avoid contact at all costs , some common sense has been applied to goal umpire contact thankfully , remember the Dusty incident

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Who would have thought that in September there would be no AFL in this State?

• Sad

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
With the figures in Victoria today and no doubt big numbers in NSW.... If the finals actually make it to the end as scheduled. ..... I'll be staggered.
The AFL is crazy imo having the pre GF bye.... flirting with disaster!

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne

I'm kinda glad we're not playing finals now. We already missed out on attending one premiership in 2020. Missing out on 2 would have been unbearable.

We should also take some comfort in knowing that this should be the last COVID affected season (well unless a new COVID strain is immune to vaccines).

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
With the figures in Victoria today and no doubt big numbers in NSW.... If the finals actually make it to the end as scheduled. ..... I'll be staggered.
The AFL is crazy imo having the pre GF bye.... flirting with disaster!

I guess they'll reassess that and maybe cancel it when the time comes

QRtiger

Tiger Rookie
Dec 8, 2004
I'm kinda glad we're not playing finals now. We already missed out on attending one premiership in 2020. Missing out on 2 would have been unbearable.

We should also take some comfort in knowing that this should be the last COVID affected season (well unless a new COVID strain is immune to vaccines).
Not all of us did.