Welcome Bigoa Nyuon | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Bigoa Nyuon

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Sam Banks knows he’s smarter than the other players on the park. And it doesn’t take long for observers to come to the same conclusion. It’s native intelligence, tactical thinking, a vision for the ball, a plan for the other players. At VFA level his thinking is as yet largely unchallenged. As a junior he'd be classes above his rivals so he's done as he pleased.

When Sam Banks handballs to a team mate under pressure he knows he’ll force the 1, 2 so he makes position to receive. He won’t do this at VFA level next year. But it’s a percentage play because it means he’ll retain control of the path of the ball. And he does it a lot.

Late in the VFA season (can't remember the game) Banks gets the ball just inside D50 and gets some attention. Biggie is clear and central, 10m astern of him. Banks can put Biggie through (send the ball central and 5m in front of Biggie for him to run onto) or he can pop the ball a metre or so in front of Biggie for him to have a gallop.

Banks does neither of those things. Instead he sends the ball very low directly to Biggie's toe. Biggie must draw heat. He won't get clear. And Banks runs to receive. Banks has forced the 1, 2.

So. Biggie gathered the low ball cleanly and sent it straight back to Banks's toe. Biggie forced the 1, 2 back on Banks and Biggie ran to receive.

Perhaps Biggie was angry. (I would've been.) He was certainly engaged. And that's the issue with Biggie. It's not IQ. It's engagement. That's the best piece of play of Biggie's career to date IMO.
Sounds like two *smile* ups in a short space of time to me.

Reactions: 5 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Sam Banks knows he’s smarter than the other players on the park. And it doesn’t take long for observers to come to the same conclusion. It’s native intelligence, tactical thinking, a vision for the ball, a plan for the other players. At VFA level his thinking is as yet largely unchallenged. As a junior he'd be classes above his rivals so he's done as he pleased.

When Sam Banks handballs to a team mate under pressure he knows he’ll force the 1, 2 so he makes position to receive. He won’t do this at VFA level next year. But it’s a percentage play because it means he’ll retain control of the path of the ball. And he does it a lot.

Late in the VFA season (can't remember the game) Banks gets the ball just inside D50 and gets some attention. Biggie is clear and central, 10m astern of him. Banks can put Biggie through (send the ball central and 5m in front of Biggie for him to run onto) or he can pop the ball a metre or so in front of Biggie for him to have a gallop.

Banks does neither of those things. Instead he sends the ball very low directly to Biggie's toe. Biggie must draw heat. He won't get clear. And Banks runs to receive. Banks has forced the 1, 2.

So. Biggie gathered the low ball cleanly and sent it straight back to Banks's toe. Biggie forced the 1, 2 back on Banks and Biggie ran to receive.

Perhaps Biggie was angry. (I would've been.) He was certainly engaged. And that's the issue with Biggie. It's not IQ. It's engagement. That's the best piece of play of Biggie's career to date IMO.
Isn’t this the Mutaz El Nour thread?

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Nice post Jack.
Mabs had a bit of the same problem. So did Griffo & Ty. Laconic almost.
it's true of all sports. Basketball largely the same.
Talls need to be intense & physical to make it in the AFL. That's Biggie's biggest challenge..

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Nice post Jack.
Mabs had a bit of the same problem. So did Griffo & Ty. Laconic almost.
it's true of all sports. Basketball largely the same.
Talls need to be intense & physical to make it in the AFL. That's Biggie's biggest challenge..
Talls MUST exert presence on the field.

Has always been that way and always will be.

Well said ToOts.

Last edited:

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Are we seeing the emergence of our next number 1 ruckman? This for me is the greatest on field move we have made so far this year.

Inspired moved.

Reactions: 4 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Are we seeing the emergence of our next number 1 ruckman? This for me is the greatest on field move we have made so far this year.

Inspired moved.
Great game barely an error, but probably a bit early to call this. He needs to beef up more I reckon. Let's see this against better teams in the VFL. I like the look of Mutaz also.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Great game barely an error, but probably a bit early to call this. He needs to beef up more I reckon. Let's see this against better teams in the VFL. I like the look of Mutaz also.
I am not saying he will be taking Nanks spot next week but long term things look good.

The perfect ruckman for the modern game.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Is really showing a bit in the ruck, might have found himself a new position. If not, I reckon he will really come on if goes down back again.

Last edited:

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I am not saying he will be taking Nanks spot next week but long term things look good.

The perfect ruckman for the modern game.
Theyve put him into the rucj to get him to the ball, and the run in the ruck will help him a lot.

He may well find its his best postion.

Has started the season well.

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
He played ruck as a junior at 195cm, sounds as though it's his natural position

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Biggie's to small to be a full time ruck at AFL level, but with his leap, mobility n agility he'd could be a quality follower / ruck rover in the old school concept.
He's generally a bloody good field kick and last year n starting this year he's pretty much played all ends of the ground, defence, forward and now ruck.
Guess that means he's been converted to some sort of fancy new fangled hybrid SUV or something, plug him in somewhere n he'll play. Looks to me like he's also finally started to fill out his frame a bit, not gunna be a massive rig like the Majak probably a bit more wiry like Aliir.

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
He want get a look in with Hootch in control. Might even have photos who knows. Dimma and the MC have gone luke warm since the 2020GF

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
If he continues this ruck form he will guarantee himself another two years on the list.

He‘s 6 months younger than Samson Ryan.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
He’s listed at 197cm , Paddy Ryder was that height and he had a fair career as a ruck. Biggie not being 200+ (And really, what difference does 3cm make?) shouldn’t be a hindrance.

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
He’s listed at 197cm , Paddy Ryder was that height and he had a fair career as a ruck. Biggie not being 200+ (And really, what difference does 3cm make?) shouldn’t be a hindrance.
He’s only 2cm shorter than Nank but more mobile he’d be a great relief ruck if he continues to develop

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
He’s only 2cm shorter than Nank but more mobile he’d be a great relief ruck if he continues to develop
Ive said it before I reckon he has grown and is pushing 200cm. He looks way taller than Tyler Young and he is 196