Welcome Derek Eggmolesse Smith | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Derek Eggmolesse Smith

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
A glaringly "outside" player - looks great when given the ball in a bit of space, but these blokes always get found out in big games. Many times he was hesitant and showed no hunger for the contest or was weak in physical situations. I guess with his left foot he'd have gotten a game well before now if he was the complete package... hopefully he can mitigate his shortcomings as Bachar did but for now, if Houli is ready, the switch is a no-brainer.

I missed the game so I cannot comment on this,or the rest of his game yesterday, but he has been smashed for this on every board I've looked at.

Reputations are forged and lost or maintained in the big games.

Lads got time and has shown more this year so is on an upward curve but at every level of footy whether it be elite professionals or suburban 5th division ressies the time always comes when its your turn to go and when it does you gotta go.

One of the most important things in footy to halt momentum is to put yourself in line and over the ball and take a hit, be tackled or lay a tackle to stop the momentum of the opposing team moving the footy forward to allow for a shot at goal or to stop the ball being ran out of your forward 50.

He'll get shown it in the video I'm sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
You can be soft and outside and make a career (look at gaff and short) but not if you lack urgency and awareness. If you're not winning the hard ball you gotta make sure you don't get caught with the ball. Unfortunately eggs gets caught too often. Rather persist with Naish.

Reactions: 1 users

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
Wow, the good games get forgotten quickly. He's a kid who's played a handful of games, most of which have been pretty good, who had a bad one on a 4 day break travelling interstate. Quick, let's delist him!

Reactions: 4 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Sloppy shoulders. Submits to the tackler meekly. Won’t commit in the air. Massively one sided. Generally nice kick.

Only Taylor hunt v Collingwood stands as a worse game for negative impact.

A lot to work on, jury out.
Ben Lennon vs Geelong 2016 is the benchmark.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
I missed the game so I cannot comment on this, or the rest of his game yesterday
We've seen it in other games too.
Ben Lennon vs Geelong 2016 is the benchmark.
Except that Lennon was post-glandular fever, wasn't match fit (even by his standards) and shouldn't have been selected off such a poor base (was it 3/4 of a VFL game?).

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Wow, the good games get forgotten quickly. He's a kid who's played a handful of games, most of which have been pretty good, who had a bad one on a 4 day break travelling interstate. Quick, let's delist him!

Reckon most players gave 100% commitment yesterday which kept us in the game. Unfortunately I didn't see that with Egg. It stood out and was disappointing, and no doubt disappointing for his teammates. If I was being generous I'd suggest maybe his lack of familiarity with the gameplan caused him uncertainty, but that's not my opinion.

I've been a fan and was practically the only one pushing him up to take Houli's spot when Bachar stayed home, but he lost a lot of what he had in the bank yesterday.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005

I few on here didn't see much future for Basher early on and called him soft.

• Love

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018

Bacher always ran harder and faster. Pushing yourself beyond your limits is a type of braveness in itself.
Haven’t seen this from Eggs.
He wants time and space. Won’t find it often in the seniors

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Eggs has kept bachars flank warm with poise and skill way beyond his level of experience.

he was best man in the ground less than a fortnight ago.

he makes a few blues in a red hot pressure game,

and everyone reckons his soufflé has collapsed.

odd and shortsighted, even for PRE

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
Eggs has kept bachars flank warm with poise and skill way beyond his level of experience.

He has played in 2 big boy games against GWS and Port both times played timid and a liability. Goes ok when it's not a furnace blow torch type game!

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
He has played in 2 big boy games against GWS and Port both times played timid and a liability. Goes ok when it's not a furnace blow torch type game!

I'm sure after he gets the big 10 game milestone monkey off his back, he'll keep Toby Greene possessionless and gain 750m?

sheez

It never ceases to amaze me when people haven't worked out that;

1. fringe players usually look pretty good in a win and pretty ordinary in a loss.

2. if you dont have fringe players, you have to forfeit when you get injuries or suspensions

3. Matt Rowell isnt normal

Reactions: 3 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
You can be soft and outside and make a career (look at gaff and short) but not if you lack urgency and awareness. If you're not winning the hard ball you gotta make sure you don't get caught with the ball. Unfortunately eggs gets caught too often. Rather persist with Naish.

Or, maybe, RCD instead???

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Getting run down when he thinks he's clear is not my issue. He has a burst of pace and can fix that.
Dunno about that. Reckon his main weakness is a lack of awareness and peripheral vision. Has been caught unaware on many occasions.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Dunno about that. Reckon his main weakness is a lack of awareness and peripheral vision. Has been caught unaware on many occasions.

Yeah has happened a bit. He tends to slow down to coasting speed while weighing up options, which maybe he gets away with in the VFL, when he probably should be doing the opposite. He's got big eyes, just needs to keep them peeled.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014

I've always liked Houli but a massive difference between the two at the same age:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=15&type=A&pid1=6562&pid2=1760&fid1=O&fid2=O

I see some good things with Egg and am glad he's been given a go but his last couple of games have been glaring for a lack of fight and awareness. He had to take his chances and hasn't so with Houli coming back I think he's done his time for now.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

Don't even think Vlas and Shorty could make Egg hard.

• Haha