Welcome Hugo Ralphsmith | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Hugo Ralphsmith

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Well done Hugo. Richmond’s first rising star nomination since Baker in 2019!

Was taken pick 46 in the 2019 draft and still only 20yo. Has some things to work on but personally, I think he’s an exciting prospect.

Reactions: 8 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Well done Hugo, deserves some kudos, I'm a fan, but yeah, odd for that game. The whole structure of the award is loose and flawed IMO. Rules get tweaked so everyone gets a prize. For me, forget the nominations, throws up too many barriers. Why are they needed? If a young player plays a blinder the media are all over it, everyone loves it. Should be first year players U21 only, first year being the year you debut. Do it by player or coaches votes.

Reactions: 3 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
They realised we hadnt got one so Hugo got it. Pretty much a McDonalds award to keep Tiger Fans interested after a catastrophic performance.

Reactions: 1 users

bugsy

TIGERISING
Jul 31, 2004
Alleluia
Al a bloody luia

AFL have finally realised RFC still exist. Next week they might even let us win the penalty count and not have any player reported.

From there who knows…. we could go on a roll, stay in the finals and knock off some of those perennial front-runners who fail under pressure. Like the Cats, Lions, Pies and Blues.

Never underestimate a wounded Tiger!

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Well earned by Raaalphy.
All the early rising star noms are done on single game performance. Late in the season they start looking for young blokes who have put together a solid body of work over the entire season to date n Raaalph's had a pretty solid year so far.
This is about the point where I was expecting Gibber to earn a nom, but then his form's tapered a little bit while playing against some premium big forwards n then he got crook n missed the game.
Reckon compared to some of the knicker wetting over some of the earlier noms that Raaalphy will hardly get a mention in the voting excitement but he's set the basis for a good n long career. Kid plays alright.

checkside

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2005
Australia
Didn’t see the nomination coming but well done to the kid.
His first qtr a few weeks ago he was everywhere.
Sometimes I think his legs move faster than his mind does and he doesn’t dispose great but let’s be honest we don’t have a lot of young kids showing much so good on him.

Reactions: 1 user

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
This makes no sense other than…they are looking too close, pick a tiger cub
I thought his game was ordinary…. Great run, terrible finishing kick

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
This makes no sense other than…they are looking too close, pick a tiger cub
I thought his game was ordinary…. Great run, terrible finishing kick

It's a disgrace that Ralphsmith gets a nom before Air Gibcus. It's equally a disgrace that Ralphsmith gets a nom the same week that Cumberland was better than him

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Well done Hugo, deserves some kudos, I'm a fan, but yeah, odd for that game. The whole structure of the award is loose and flawed IMO. Rules get tweaked so everyone gets a prize. For me, forget the nominations, throws up too many barriers. Why are they needed? If a young player plays a blinder the media are all over it, everyone loves it. Should be first year players U21 only, first year being the year you debut. Do it by player or coaches votes.
it is weekly so the sponsor gets more value for money- that is the only reason.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Hmm, interesting move by the AFL.

Firstly, well done to Hugo, I reckon he is improving, he is young and deserves some recognition.

But we get a nomination, a week or two after Dimma points out that Richmond players just don't get nominations. No connection there, a coincidence maybe? Yeah right, no coincidence at all, they just responded to pressure.

Time to put some pressure on regarding a few other aspects of the game, like how we get umpired differently. Not only is the quiet, toe the line strategy a complete failure, it looks like the not quiet, don't toe the line strategy is a success, time to pour buckets on the AFL, not like their popularity will save them.

DS

Reactions: 2 users
Feb 25, 2007
Well done lad, love your energy, run and hardness around the contest. Good overhead mark too!

20 disposals, five score involvements, 430m gained whilst using the ball at 85 per cent efficiency.

hugo.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
It's a disgrace that Ralphsmith gets a nom before Air Gibcus. It's equally a disgrace that Ralphsmith gets a nom the same week that Cumberland was better than him
Reckon Raaalph's had overall just as good, if not a better season than Gibber but Gibber will be easily the better player of the two in the long run. Late in the season they often hand nominations to blokes that have put together a good years worth of work not just for one flash game. Bit hard to nominate a rising star in the week they don't play a game .
As for Cummers, he had a flash period in the first half of the game, kicked 2 goals 3 points n really should have kicked 5 bloody goals, he didn't have one difficult shot. The rest of his game was moderate n he tried hard. Kicks the 5 n we'd all wet the knickers n he'd get the nom, but he didn't n I'm happy to see Raaalph get his nom, he's earned it.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Hugo says "tough conversations" in this week's review. Let's see if they learnt anything.

Speaks well does Hugo. Leadership material for the next gen.

Last edited: