Welcome Hugo Ralphsmith | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Hugo Ralphsmith

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
I believe the site can be named?, so attached from AFL.com.au is Hugo RalphSmith's old man's diary on his road to the draft:

Fascinating article and great insight. I love this bit: "The coaches' plan to let Hugo 'just enjoy his footy' works the following week in the semi-final against Calder. Hugo kicks three goals in the first quarter and virtually takes the game away from the Cannons who struggle to kick goals all day. Hugo takes his marks. Hits his targets. Plays a great game. " Because the way Richmond operates he will be encouraged to enjoy his footy and play his way.

Reactions: 5 users

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
I must admit I teared up after reading the diary particularly the last bit.

I hope his ambition to be a great player is fulfilled. (at Richmond of course)

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Reminiscent of the video from Corey The Witness MKII's, home video from when he was taken by the Tigers.

Geez I hope Hugo provides the RFC way more reward than Corey did.

I'm sure he will going by the reports of many Junior watchers.

Reactions: 2 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
It was almost worth tearing up for, but I wasn't crying for Hugo. My brother-in-law played for the Jets last season, and whilst he was regularly in their bests for most of the season - the team and he didn't finish the season very well. He got caught up with VCE pressure, getting a car/licence, working PT, football and basically suffocated himself with the fear of failing.
The clubs didn't come knocking, so he didn't even nominate for the draft.

It would have been nice to have been able to share that joy. Instead I've thought more about the hundred kids who's dreams get squished so quickly. It's a cruel way to become an adult in many respects.

Reactions: 11 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
It would have been nice to have been able to share that joy. Instead I've thought more about the hundred kids who's dreams get squished so quickly. It's a cruel way to become an adult in many respects.

Yeh, for every joyful story like this there are 100's of dream shattered. Good luck to the kid, lets hope he fulfills his potential. He's definitely at the right club!

Reactions: 1 user

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Reminiscent of the video from Corey The Witness MKII's, home video from when he was taken by the Tigers.

Geez I hope Hugo provides the RFC way more reward than Corey did.

I'm sure he will going by the reports of many Junior watchers.
Hugo has the assets that Corey Ellis & Ben Lennon never had

Pace , Athleticism ,Endurance and agility

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
It was almost worth tearing up for, but I wasn't crying for Hugo. My brother-in-law played for the Jets last season, and whilst he was regularly in their bests for most of the season - the team and he didn't finish the season very well. He got caught up with VCE pressure, getting a car/licence, working PT, football and basically suffocated himself with the fear of failing.

Your BIL could channel lambert and get to another club and just keep playing.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Your BIL could channel lambert and get to another club and just keep playing.
I've pointed out a few examples like that, but it's a bit too soon for him to contemplate I think, too raw. He's only been playing footy since under 14, so still lots of improvement left in my eyes.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne

Some very salient points there General.

Sounds like life got him.

Years go by quickly so he should chase it if it is his dream.

Doesnt hurt to contact VFL clubs and ask if he can train with them if hes still good enough he's still good enough and will be snapped up.

If he's mates with Hugo maybe he can put a good word in for him.

As weve seen plenty of top liners miss the draft.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
My dad has always had an oblique and poignant take on things.

when he read this great story, his first comment was 'I wonder how many of the 60 people would be around to his house to support and commiserate if he didn't get drafted?'. He wasn't accusing Hugo's visitors of being hangers-on. some would be, some wouldn't be. But he was certainly ruminating on the success hanger-onerers. Then he told me a story. He said when I was little, I was a fierce athletics competitor and pretty quick over the sprints (quickest little bloke on the whole VIC central highlands over 100 and 200m 1978-1980 - I reckon that's a dynasty?) I used to regularly ask dad before I'd race "if I win, will you buy me an ice cream?' and dad would always say 'nuh, if you lose I'll buy you an ice cream, cause you're gonna need it.' He actually saved a fair few bucks through this complex empathetic sport psychological strategy.

But, yeah, his point was/is, to the winner goes the spoils, but the loser is in need of a little spoiling.

I think my dad is one in a long line of Richmond Men

Reactions: 10 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Hugo has the assets that Corey Ellis & Ben Lennon never had

Pace , Athleticism ,Endurance and agility

Ill never forget when they had a players challenge on rfc.com where 4 players swam and threw and hit against each other.

Ben lennon seemed to finish last in everything. He swam like a stone He threw like a snake and he hit like jellyfish.

He may have been the least athletically gifted AFL footballer of his generation?

He had a great leg.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Ill never forget when they had a players challenge on rfc.com where 4 players swam and threw and hit against each other.

Ben lennon seemed to finish last in everything. He swam like a stone He threw like a snake and he hit like jellyfish.

He may have been the least athletically gifted AFL footballer of his generation?

He had a great leg.

Vibrant too.:))

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
We had Hugo & his parents ( Thomson Dow & his parents also) @ Club80 last week.

Hugo told a story of a Hawks footy trip where his Dad ( Sean RS) & Piggy Dunstall were arrested & guns drawn on them by the police.

Yabby Jeans was heard yelling at the rozzers "Dont shoot the fat one" :D

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
We had Hugo & his parents ( Thomson Dow & his parents also) @ Club80 last week.

Hugo told a story of a Hawks footy trip where his Dad ( Sean RS) & Piggy Dunstall were arrested & guns drawn on them by the police.

Yabby Jeans was heard yelling at the rozzers "Dont shoot the fat one" :D

Ive heard that one, they were in the USA from memory and the only reason they were released quickly was Yabbie was a ex Copper so they were paying him respect.

Reactions: 1 users