Welcome Hugo Ralphsmith | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Hugo Ralphsmith

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
How is young Hugo training / progressing?
Caesar you were talking about his potential to play wing, although not this year, so has he been showing anything special?
He can run but is he showing more?

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
How is young Hugo training / progressing?
Caesar you were talking about his potential to play wing, although not this year, so has he been showing anything special?
He can run but is he showing more?

Hugo is not just an athlete he is a strong mark and a good deliverer of the footy and has shown that on the track.
He spent the 1st part of pre-season training forward but has since been sent back where his dash is more noticeable.
At a club80 function it was that mentioned wing is where he could excel in time.
AFL.com.au below today says club eyeing a running half-back, Isaac-Smith type role in future which rings true with what they are doing with him at training.

Looks a footballer not just a runner to me, light framed just give him a bit of time.

Hugo Ralphsmith (NAB AFL Draft, No.46 overall)
Having come through the Victorian talent pathway, Ralphsmith has rarely, if ever, played against men, meaning Richmond's intraclub was a step up for the youngster. Has impressed with his ball use and endurance, with the club eying a running half-back, Isaac Smith-type role in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Hugo is not just an athlete he is a strong mark and a good deliverer of the footy and has shown that on the track.
He spent the 1st part of pre-season training forward but has since been sent back where his dash is more noticeable.
At a club80 function it was that mentioned wing is where he could excel in time.
AFL.com.au below today says club eyeing a running half-back, Isaac-Smith type role in future which rings true with what they are doing with him at training.

Looks a footballer not just a runner to me, light framed just give him a bit of time.
Billiant. Thanks C.
I know that Turk and others were big wraps for him.
Wing in the Isaac Smith mould would be fantastic.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Hugo Ralphsmith (NAB AFL Draft, No.46 overall)
Having come through the Victorian talent pathway, Ralphsmith has rarely, if ever, played against men, meaning Richmond's intraclub was a step up for the youngster. Has impressed with his ball use and endurance, with the club eying a running half-back, Isaac Smith-type role in the future.

Wouldn't that be a running half back Houli type role? Here's hoping!

DS

Reactions: 1 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Wouldn't that be a running half back Houli type role? Here's hoping!

DS

An electrified fast version of Houli? Or a running weapon on the wing? If Hugo can make it then its an exciting addition to the team.

One of Big Game Houli's elite traits is his intercept nous.
And a willingness to go again and again, even if there is a mistake. He was pilloried in the 2014 elimination loss to Port as he bounced through the centre square but even then BGH was trying and creating.
Maybe Dezzy EggsSmith is the replacement. Or is someone like Cotch who shifts back in 2021 as the younger brigade Ross and RCD move in?
Or is it Hugo who has speed and an excellent mark?

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Hugo isn't your Houli replacement, doesn't have the natural feel of the game that a Houli does, doesn't read it as well.

If he makes it, will be based on flair, pure athleticism. The Jaidyn Stephenson mould is a good call. That type. Even the Issac Smith mould if he gets the tank. The athletic traits are what got him drafted. Right type to put into our environment.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Hugo Ralphsmith

"Continued to play his role. He's certainly going to be a good player in the future, his run and ability is phenomenal for a young kid. He copped a corky early but that didn't stop him from getting up and down the ground and he was also rewarded with a goal."

From the 13 a side scratchandgo

Reactions: 4 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Hugo Ralphsmith

"Continued to play his role. He's certainly going to be a good player in the future, his run and ability is phenomenal for a young kid. He copped a corky early but that didn't stop him from getting up and down the ground and he was also rewarded with a goal."

From the 13 a side scratchandgo

Is he ready you think ?

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I would say not ready at present as Hugo needs to put on a bit of size and build some strength but early signs are good as a prospect.

Thanks Julius.

Hope you are keeping well.

RFC didnt fly you up to do our training reports?

Ripplestick

Tiger Champion
Jan 18, 2007
good wraps again on ralph from a short scratch match.

Hugo Ralphsmith

“Hugo played down back, just purely for numbers. He has been playing majority forward, but I think he sees the game really well, he runs and carries, and is really good with the ball in his hands, plus his contest work is not too bad. It was good to see him play a different role and still have an impact on the game.

“Hugo has been here in the Queensland hub since the start and has done some really, really good things in the scrimmage games. We think this kid might be a pretty good player for us.

“A debut might be this year, maybe not, but definitely in the future because he’s showing us some really nice things.”

Reactions: 1 user

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
I would so no.
I could read that two ways.
Either you would put him in, so therefore he's no chance,
Or it's a typo.

The former indicates no confidence as a selector by the correspondent.
The latter indicates a lack of attention.

Lift, Caesar, Lift!!!!! :p

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I could read that two ways.
Either you would put him in, so therefore he's no chance,
Or it's a typo.

The former indicates no confidence as a selector by the correspondent.
The latter indicates a lack of attention.

Lift, Caesar, Lift!!!!! :p
It's too early for riddles Quickdraw, I'm off to training.

I am saying Hugo no chance for round 1 not because he is no good but because he is yet to play a VFL game and practice the way we play, also they have not settled where they want Hugo to play although the last 2 match sims they are playing him half back