Welcome Hugo Ralphsmith | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Hugo Ralphsmith

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
He's got a lot to do to be better than Phil Egan. I'd be happy if he was as good as Robbie Powell. Currently tracking roughly Ricky Petterd.
Petterd was handy he got a couple of injuries in a shortish period the last was a Lisfranc fracture that ended his career.

Powell was a handy nippy little bugger that hit the scene for a year or two then seemingly dropped off.

Egan we all know how good he was .

Reactions: 1 user

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
He’s a paupers’ bankrupt cousins’ Stewart maxfield at the moment.

Let’s hope the skills issue is a fixable one like when Dan Jackson sorted it out. Potentially the the consistent toughness will come with some preseasons under his belt. Fingers crossed and good luck to him. Pace and hair to burn.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Decision making is his weakness in the main. Less fatigue due to improved fitness. More composure after more experience. It can happen.

The thing is that when Ralph hits other players they fall over and he stays up. It’s a big strength.

Reactions: 3 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Decision making is his weakness in the main. Less fatigue due to improved fitness. More composure after more experience. It can happen.

The thing is that when Ralph hits other players they fall over and he stays up. It’s a big strength.

Reckon Rance was a poor decision maker in his first few seasons

Reactions: 1 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I remember the knocks on McIntosh when he first started getting games at Richmond after his first 2 years were injured and interupted

Hugo will be a 200+ game player i have no doubt and have said it since before he was drafted that he will have a very good career

Cam Guthrie was the player that came to mind when i see his development and style

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I remember the knocks on McIntosh when he first started getting games at Richmond after his first 2 years were injured and interupted

Hugo will be a 200+ game player i have no doubt and have said it since before he was drafted that he will have a very good career

Cam Guthrie was the player that came to mind when i see his development and style

The reason I think differently is I don't see the string to his bow.

McIntosh is an elite runner but there are lots of elite runners who can use the ball a lot better, but he is super elite at physicality.

What's Ralphsmith's string? Can he hunt the ball and use it as well as Guthrie while still being inside grunt at the same time? I'm not sure he has enough dimensions.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
The reason I think differently is I don't see the string to his bow.

McIntosh is an elite runner but there are lots of elite runners who can use the ball a lot better, but he is super elite at physicality.

What's Ralphsmith's string? Can he hunt the ball and use it as well as Guthrie while still being inside grunt at the same time? I'm not sure he has enough dimensions.
Exactly what you mentioned about McIntosh

He is an elite runner and has speed as well as a good leap and reads the play well
the main things he needs to work on is his kicking at times and some say his ability to go harder at the contest

But he has only just turned 21 years old and will get better and once he cements his place in the side he can work on having more impact and that will come with confidence

When you look at their stats at the same age there is very little difference and if anything Hugo is slightly ahead with less game time

Puntrd64

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
Amazing to think Royce Hart was the same height as Guthrie and weighed 1kg less. And Gelong people consider Guthrie a superstar

• Wow
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Hugo should be an option to come in this week..

Problem for him is he's dropped right off the radar. This thread was deep & he's not had a post since December.

Physically he had a strong preseason & in all the interviews he's said he was going to put his best foot forward..

Now in his 4th year this should be his time..should be.

However despite his great pace there are still big questions over his contested ball, disposal & decision making.
His games so far this year have been underwhelming.
Needs some dominant performances in the VFL to get promoted you'd think.

If he doesn't get a game soon he might find himself elsewhere next year.
Come on Hugo.

Reactions: 4 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014

Problem for him is he's dropped right off the radar. This thread was deep & he's not had a post since December.

Physically he had a strong preseason & in all the interviews he's said he was going to put his best foot forward..

However despite his great pace there are still big questions over his contested ball, disposal & decision making.

Come on Hugo.
didnt we let Oleg go when we drafted Hugo?
Seems to be following a similar trajectory - speed but insufficient structure.
He wasnt great on the weekend but he should get chances this year.
Cmon Hugo!

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I've got Banks ahead of Hugo, he uses it a lot better, i'd rather he come into the side before Hugo.

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011

Come on Hugo.

If we were going to trade him, last years trade period was the time as Kingsley was keen and would have possibly given up a nice pick for him.

We kept him so hopefully the club sees something in him that I don't.

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008

Come on Hugo.
Good athlete but we want him to become a good footballer.
Now has Banks & Co hot on his tail.
Kaleb Smith looks a better combination of the two desired traits.
Not confident.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
If we were going to trade him, last years trade period was the time as Kingsley was keen and would have possibly given up a nice pick for him.

We kept him so hopefully the club sees something in him that I don't.
Realistically I think the best we could have done if he went to GWS would have been to have him part of the Hopper trade, keeping pick 31 (34 by the time it was used). Olli Hotton, Tom McCallum and Henry Hustwaite went at 35, 36, 37. I was a fan of the first two in particular, so in hindsight, yep, I'd do it.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Yeah, HRS, May not be in the greatest form in the VFL but sometimes you just take a chance. Will it be this week? I reckon it should.

BiddiscombeSkills

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 2, 2005
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Hugo's hair gets him games. If he had a buzzcut running around in the twos, you wouldn't notice him.

Jack Ross seems to have cottoned on to this.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users