Welcome Josh Gibcus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Josh Gibcus

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Just rename the award to the Non-Richmond NAB AFL Rising Star Award

What a *smile* joke this competition has become.

Loved it when he jolted ex-teammate Ben Hobbs during the scuffle.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Defenders are just way to negative n nowhere near pretty enough to rate on awards night. Blokes like Gibber n De Koning might get a mention late in the season, simply to fill the numbers or as reward for their consistent body of work over the year.

Reactions: 1 user

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Amazement this kid keeps getting over looked.
Who picks the rising star? SHocking?

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Newcombe is the best new kid.
Not sure Dacios is in the top 3.
It's a pity Big G hasn't had his name mentioned.
This like when Bolton wasn't in the best under 22 side.

Reactions: 1 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Poor Gibbo. What more do our kids have to do.....:rolleyes: Has a defender ever won this?

Saw JJ interview on 360. I don't want to knock the kid, raw and all that, but was very happy with the nomination, understandably, and very happy with his game, words like awesome, stoked, loved it. No mention of the fact they lost!

I am just amazed by Gibcus. Staggered, he defies all norms and logic. I keep having to pinch myself and remember he hasn't reached double figures in games yet. Already I just expect him to be a capable cool head like Rance or Grimes. Even his rare blues remind me of Rance! They are 150-game player blues. Unbelievable. Great mark, great kick, mobile, agile, smart, incredible Cyril Rioli-like leap. I can't see a weakness, a first year teenager.

Even Dusty and Otto did the first year player things in their first year. Especially Otto. Josh, apart from a couple in his first 2 or 3 games if you're pedantic, just doesn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Article about young Josh.

That followed an article about rising star contenders when Gibcus didnt get a mention. Im guessing that was pointed out to ALF.com so they thought they better do a follow up.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
To be fair Jeffrey’s did kick 5, and as TM points out, Gibcus is a defender and they’re rarely ever recognised for awards.
5 goals is a good effort, to follow on from his first game this year where he did nothing. the lack of clear criteria for a nomination is a bit frustrating.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
5 goals is a good effort, to follow on from his first game this year where he did nothing. the lack of clear criteria for a nomination is a bit frustrating.
There is no criteria. Play a blinder or body of work allegedly, which is problematic for many reasons, but even so Gibbo has met both.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Saw JJ interview on 360. I don't want to knock the kid, raw and all that, but was very happy with the nomination, understandably, and very happy with his game, words like awesome, stoked, loved it. No mention of the fact they lost!

I am just amazed by Gibcus. Staggered, he defies all norms and logic. I keep having to pinch myself and remember he hasn't reached double figures in games yet. Already I just expect him to be a capable cool head like Rance or Grimes. Even his rare blues remind me of Rance! They are 150-game player blues. Unbelievable. Great mark, great kick, mobile, agile, smart, incredible Cyril Rioli-like leap. I can't see a weakness, a first year teenager.

Even Dusty and Otto did the first year player things in their first year. Especially Otto. Josh, apart from a couple in his first 2 or 3 games if you're pedantic, just doesn't.
Bloody oath....:))

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Funny thing is. Jeffery played a good game. 5 goals in a losing side. That was his second game for the year, He didnt kick a goal in his first game. How does one good game get rewarded over 8 games of Gibcus solid performances?

The AFLs feelgood factor.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Wow - we know he is GOOD but this stat from the Roar - just how GOOD is he already

“Out of the 39 key defenders to have participated in at least 20 one-on-ones this season, Gibcus is ranked fourth for fewest losses, losing just 14.7 per cent of the time. Seriously, how good is the kid?”

• Love
Reactions: 11 users