Welcome Josh Gibcus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Josh Gibcus

wammo

We're from Tigerland
May 16, 2007
Watched him closely at the game today and there was a bit to be concerned about. Some good things, but a lot of bad positioning, second guessing himself, less than 100% commitment to contests and a general demeanour of a kid down on confidence.
He‘s going to be a ripper, no doubt, but isn’t playing like he did earlier in the year and looks like he could use a few games in the two’s to work on his game and gain confidence. Only problem with that is I’m not as confident about our development at the lower level as I have been previously.

Reactions: 1 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
He's fit. No doubt in my mind. Can move.

It looks like a war of wills to me. A very young player.

Hardwick has to keep the boundaries in place, largely. He has done so far.

I'm absolutely satisfied that Gibcus is fit and sound. And he gets a game.

Redford is right to say he always had kicking issues. But FFS does he have to kick not to three of them? After he's sent that zinger through for Shai(?). The handballs?

War of wills? I'm seeing that.

But Gibcus is just learning the caper.

Reactions: 1 user

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
Watched him closely at the game today and there was a bit to be concerned about. Some good things, but a lot of bad positioning, second guessing himself, less than 100% commitment to contests and a general demeanour of a kid down on confidence.
He‘s going to be a ripper, no doubt, but isn’t playing like he did earlier in the year and looks like he could use a few games in the two’s to work on his game and gain confidence. Only problem with that is I’m not as confident about our development at the lower level as I have been previously.
Agree. I reckon he needs to just go back and have a couple of dominant games at vfl for his own confidence. Take some big marks etc. he gets his head down a bit. I’d give Miller a run for a few weeks. No shame.

Reactions: 6 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
I love this kid.

Posted last week that he needs a spell. Not so sure now.

Geez he stuffed up 3 kicks and 1 handball massively. The handball was a complete gimme goal to them. The kicks were long and strong but *smile*.
So was Daniel's lazy 12 metre kick to Flossy in the 1st quarter that led to the eagles 1st goal.

When I saw him take the 250gamer Jack Darling at the beg of the game, just had to make me laugh. Kingsley and Dimma are tough bastards.
250gamer Jack Darling. Geez, he has killed some of our defenders over the years. Gibcus got killed a couple of times too.

The kid is gonna be good. He's damn hard on himself too. He should be when you stuff up that handpass and kick. But he'll learn.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Covered 15km yesterday, second only to McIntosh of ALL players on both sides. Good effort if he was a midfielder, phenomenal when he was essentially playing as a key defender. This may go some way to explaining the turnovers.

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Covered 15km yesterday, second only to McIntosh of ALL players on both sides. Good effort if he was a midfielder, phenomenal when he was essentially playing as a key defender. This may go some way to explaining the turnovers.
I thought he was ok yesterday, lost a one on one against Darling, but would've been giving away close to 15 kg's.
And as you say his poor disposal at times might have been because he was stuffed.

Last edited:

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Had equal top time on ground with Jack R, 93%.

So if he's fatiqued the coaching and fitness guys aren't cutting him any slack

Reactions: 2 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
Been up for a long time. Had a great debut season. Running out of puff a bit now maybe.

Despite people lauding it in the first 5 weeks, the weakness in his game - which he admitted in interviews pre draft - is his kicking. And It’s started to show the last few weeks. He can touch it up, will be ok, but he’ll take some time.

No knocks. Kid’s had a great season to date.

Yeah, he seems a big kick, rather than a good kick.

But he is creative. Or, at least, attempts to be. He is not scared of biting off more than Dusty could chew.

And the good thing about being a big kick, is that if you take a metre off your reach, you become a better kick.

Someone else here mentioned it, but he kicks like a first year Rance. Long, loping kicks into, or across, the centre of the ground, which have a team mate in mind, but find an opponent.

But the vision and ambition is there. I'm not worried long term.

He covered 15 km. And as he grows, he'll run smarter. Maybe 14 km, but ten more touches. It's a shame we can't get a 26 year old version of him to play with our aging stars.

But he, Bolton and Balta are our next wave Rance, Dusty and Jack. I'll take it.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

bugsy

TIGERISING
Jul 31, 2004
Can’t believe how harsh some of you guys are with your criticism of young Josh.

Compared to Alex Rance at this stage of his career I think he has been going great guns. We currently don’t have the luxury of big strong experienced backmen. He’s doing it the hard way out of necessity. Another preseason or two will help him immensely. Until then whatever he and Tarrant can give us is a blessing.

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
Made a few errors, thats ok, young and will learn/improve. He needs to take the game on and not just rely on Vloss, Grimes, Rioli and Broad to drive the ball out, cross the field, shoot it inboard. Thrown onto some of the oppositions best at times, 2022 would be the most football he would have played over the last 2 years due to covid impact to jr football.

Yes he missed a few targets but I think that right kick of his will be an absolute weapon moring forward.

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
I didn't realise he was running those kms. Maybe rest him again. He had a lot of clangers. When Balta is back, rest him again. Miller has been going OK.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Josh’s Rising Star snub getting some media traction:

8547CD59-5D24-49FA-8958-DAD616E9EE6C.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
63 nominees since 2019 and not one of ours. Bleeding obvious as to what's going on behind the scenes.

Not even Mozza could get a nomination in these last 2 years.

• Angry
Jan 12, 2012
Melbourne
Rising Star noms are encouragement awards for struggling teams. It gives their fans a sniff of interest so they might show up or better still, watch them on telly. Makes perfect business sense.
Not our area of interest.

Reactions: 5 users