Welcome Josh Gibcus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Josh Gibcus

Feeling Tigerish

Tiger Champion
Apr 11, 2009
Did anyone see that moment on the wing when he was going backwards in marking contest and he actually put his hands over his head to brace for contact ? Lucky we won and it wasn’t talked about by the commentators
yeah it didnt look good.

Reactions: 2 users

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
The sheer difference in size between him and Dixon when they were standing next to each other in the goal square in front of us was very noticeable. Fortunately Balta smart enough to realise at one point and swapped straight over and Gibcus went on a Bloke more his size

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
Dilemma.

Not playing well currently, looks to have lost all confidence.

If Vlas out I don't think we have another tall. So he stays in. Unless Biggie gets another shot?

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Dilemma.

Not playing well currently, looks to have lost all confidence.

If Vlas out I don't think we have another tall. So he stays in. Unless Biggie gets another shot?

He's playing in Grimes place at the moment. With Vlastuin out, Brown might be a sneaky chance of a debut next week.

Feb 25, 2007
The first half of the year he played pretty well but he's 18 so fluctuation in form will happen, also after getting beaten badly by buddy, marshall and darling it rocked his confidence. Gibbo has also had some glaring errors in games which have cost the team goals. Last night he took 2 marks and dropped 4.

I said it when he was having some bad games that he should be dropped and Miller to come in his place after stringing many good games in the ressies, some still questioned or believed he should stay in on future potential. We know his future is bright at punt road but I'll say it again why rush an 18-year-old?

Let the kid play and learn his craft in the ressies without the added pressure. Also needs to put on 10 kgs.

I love that Ben Miller has done his apprenticeship in the ressies and looks assured in the seniors now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Feb 25, 2007
He's playing in Grimes place at the moment. With Vlastuin out, Brown might be a sneaky chance of a debut next week.

There was no need to play him last night, his ressies form didn't warrant being promoted. Also widely known that port was only playing Dixon and Finlayson.
Tarrant and Balta would be enough. Broad can play 3rd man up. Macca went back to help out after Vlustuin was subbed.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
We have got the luxury of Gibby playing as our third tall down back. Would love Rance to have a chat to him.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Mental demons at the moment but was a better game than when he got dropped. Impacted a number of contests even though still not clunking marks he was earlier.

Reactions: 1 user

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Mental demons at the moment but was a better game than when he got dropped. Impacted a number of contests even though still not clunking marks he was earlier.
Once he starts clucking those I reckon his confidence will increase.

With Vlaustin injured do we keep him in or bring in Stack or Mansell??

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Still looks a bit low on confidence.
Pleasingly getting to the right positions but often dropping the mark as opposed to the surety of his hands earlier in the year.
Find myself constantly surprised at the relatively simple grabs he drops atm.
I actually think it's because he's still a bit slight of build & the contact has taken it's toll as the year has progressed.
Hardly unusual for a first year tall.
He'll be far better after a strong preseason in the gym.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Pleasingly getting to the right positions but often dropping the mark as opposed to the surety of his hands earlier in the year.
I actually think it's because he's still a bit slight of build & the contact has taken it's toll as the year has progressed.
All of the above plus the fact that the call was made a bit early (because he’d started off so well in the backline) to make a forward of him.
And not sure of this now - bud did he have a stint in the ruck at one stage?

Whatever - I just reckon it would have been better to have just left him spend the full year as a third or fourth defender.

Hopefully he’s still here for the long haul and will become a great player

• Love

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
He looks spent

Punt n Brunton

Tiger Purist
Sep 17, 2003
Am beginning to wonder if Gibcus is up to finals intensity football at this early stage of his career. Has been making regular basic skill errors each week, cannot hold his marks, and looking a touch laconic at times, which doesn't augur well for finals type footy.

He's had a good overall first year for a KPD, but he's not as assured as he was earlier in the year.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Thought Biscuits was ok yesterday but probably not quite playing with the same confidence he had 8 weeks ago. Understandable. Been a big year for him.

Reactions: 1 user

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
He's gotta stop flying for marks one handed. Isn't timing his leap and finds himself under the flight of the ball. But unless Grimes comes back at some stage this year I wouldn't be dropping him.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Thought Biscuits was ok yesterday but probably not quite playing with the same confidence he had 8 weeks ago. Understandable. Been a big year for him.
Definitely not playing with confidence and is not back to where he was after 5-6 games.

He made a few one handed almost open palm swipes at the ball yesterday when he was trying to spoil in a pack. It seemed as if he was unsure whether to try and compete for the mark or just punch the ball hard with spoil with a solid fist.

At least we know what he’s capable of and hopefully he’ll be back there next season - but it’s questionable if he stays in the side come finals.

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
They are going to have to make a call on him one way or another as grimes won’t be back for a month at least…. probably will depend on week to week match ups from here on out.