Welcome Josh Gibcus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Josh Gibcus

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
I heard it was actually a glass bottomed pool on the floor above, Josh completely shattered it and washed all the attendees about 500m down the road in a biblical Tsunami. AND Steve Hocking was swimming laps at the time, and was left flopping bewildered on the basement floor.
Photo evidence....

iu

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
The best type!!
Apparently played a lot of forward as a junior.

Another interesting thing is there seems to be total confusion about his height.
Ranging from 195-197cm depending which article you read.
He will be 198cm by next week

Am i the only person that thinks he looks like Jim Parsons if he cut the mustacho

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
I think we can look to the future with some optimism that Gibcus can replicate the form of Ben McKay and with some luck push towards a Harry McKay type impact.

Bully. You are saying that Matt Clarke thinks Ben McKay [optimistically] is the best player in the 2021 draft. (Clarke has said he thinks Gibcus is.)

Ben McKay?

Now, I love a backhander. And I'm not a massive Matt Clarke fan. But that is a huge kick in the teeth for Clarke. Heh heh.

In defence of the Gibcus selection, he would, off no steps vault Mac Andrew's imagination. And, if Gibcus is a forward he is a brilliant selection.

There has been a tectonic shift in RFC's drafting this year. Gibcus looks like a Frank to me. Hercules Higgins is the definitive Clarke.

Reactions: 1 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Bully. You are saying that Matt Clarke thinks Ben McKay [optimistically] is the best player in the 2021 draft. (Clarke has said he thinks Gibcus is.)

Ben McKay?

Now, I love a backhander. And I'm not a massive Matt Clarke fan. But that is a huge kick in the teeth for Clarke. Heh heh.

In defence of the Gibcus selection, he would, off no steps vault Mac Andrew's imagination. And, if Gibcus is a forward he is a brilliant selection.

There has been a tectonic shift in RFC's drafting this year. Gibcus looks like a Frank to me. Hercules Higgins is the definitive Clarke.
Talking floors not flaws, his leap and competitive nature puts him alongside Sam Taylor for exposed form, I think that is a guarantee of a core player. I used the McKay twins as an example because it gives you an idea of how physical attributes can be applied in a different manner. These guys have largely stuck to their junior roles however, there hasn't been a project switch as yet, but I think Naughton has shown that it is possible to cultivate forward craft.

As for the recruiting philosophy in the Clarke era? He's a reacher, Dow & Brown give me the impression he's still basking in the glow of the Bolton draft, these are vintage comfort level selections, not Frank style conservatism. I actually think Frank would have picked Hobbs, at least early days Frank when every selection was hedged with blue chip safety.

Overall I think Gibcus is absolutely the right call, I think the potential upside warrants a top ten pick & I think the worst case scenario is not too bad in the scheme of things. The way it opened up the draft was also tactically brilliant, the sliders available at 17 almost made me giddy. The execution from that point on not to my liking, in a midfielders draft we should have been playing the percentages. Clarke's ranking system not clear to me, even with the added focus on kicking I'm still struggling to understand how we are comparing apples with oranges.

Reactions: 1 users
Feb 25, 2007
TIGERS SCORE A ‘STEAL’

After the departures of David Astbury (retired) and Ryan Garthwaite (delisted), the Tigers were looking for a young key defender to partner Dylan Grimes (30 years old) and Robbie Tarrant (32) in the twilight of their careers.

They ticked the box on Wednesday night by using Pick 9 to snare Josh Gibcus – a freak key defensive talent that had interest from as early as the Giants at Pick 2.

Despite midfielder Ben Hobbs still being on the board, Richmond opted to select Gibcus to bolster its key defensive stocks.

Foxfooty.com.au reported minutes prior to the draft the Giants were trying to find a club to trade with and help them move up the draft order – ideally ahead of the Tigers – to snare Gibcus. They identified Fremantle as a potential suitor, but a deal never came to fruition.

Josh Gibcus joined Richmond. Picture: Michael Willson
Josh Gibcus joined Richmond. Picture: Michael WillsonSource: Getty Images

That left the Tigers to pick up Gibcus, who has a highlights reel like Hawthorn champion Peter Knights, according to dual premiership Kangaroo David King.

“He’s diligent enough to start with his opponent. But then he just assesses really quickly where it’s likely to fall,” King told Fox Footy.

“Dropping off his man, assessing the ball in flight really early – that’s AFL level already. That’s the classic intercept mark player that we see in the competition right now.

“I think this guy is a steal at this pick. Richmond have got an absolute ripper. We know they’re looking to rebuild in that back half, there’s no doubt they’ve lost some key position talent – Pick 9 is a steal.”

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
What I like about his jump is that even if he is rushing forward - he jumps straight up, not forward. That is real lift. It means he doesn't need the ride to get the height. At 196cm - he could be anything. I'm so looking forward to seeing his development.

Reactions: 6 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Sliding doors. We didn't trade for Cerra and landed Gibcus instead. I'm thrilled with that result.

Thrilled we practically never trade away first rounders. Long may it continue.

Gibcus represents a chance to develop a blank slate into a homegrown leader who feels like he represents the fabric of the club.

Cerra might be talented, but winning a bidding war for talent just isn't the same.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Thrilled we practically never trade away first rounders. Long may it continue.

Gibcus represents a chance to develop a blank slate into a homegrown leader who feels like he represents the fabric of the club.

Cerra might be talented, but winning a bidding war for talent just isn't the same.

and when we do we get a Prestia

Reactions: 1 user