Welcome Josh Gibcus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Josh Gibcus

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Gets to learn the caper from Grimes and Tarrant for the next few years. Should accelerate his development.

Reactions: 5 users

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
I hate the comparisons with Jake Lever.

Just because I hate Jake Lever.
I don't get it, Dylan Grimes was Jake Lever before Jake lever was Jake Lever, so why isn't he in the mold of Dylan Grimes? The Chief et al need to have the narrative changed here!!!!

Reactions: 7 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014

i hate the comparison of players full stop. Lazy stuff.

Mind you, if anything, he's more Sam Taylor than Lever!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016

Agree. Lever is not a one on one shut down defender like Gibcus has demonstrated to be if required.

The best comparison I see to Gibcus is Darcy Moore, yet none of the so called experts have mentioned it.

Twomey mentions Lever and then everyone just jumps on the bandwagon

Reactions: 4 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
‘Ability to jump over small buildings’: Gibcus leaps into top 10 draft reckoning

By Owen Leonard
The Age
November 18, 2021

Defending the modern key forward is no simple task.

Think of the King twins, Harry McKay, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and even the incoming Sam Darcy.

If not through their height and leap, they often impose themselves with their speed and silk. Clearly, there is a new need to combat the growing contingent of athletically gifted tall forwards. Enter Josh Gibcus.

The likely top-10 pick has cemented his standing as the best key back in the draft, and appears set to forge an AFL career as an athletic, intercept-marking defender who is equally adept at playing shutdown roles.

“My athleticism helps me to play that higher key defender role, as like a centre-half back, roaming around and taking intercept marks but also shutting my opponent down,” Gibcus told The Age.

“My one wood in my game is my ability to come off my player, read the ball and take that big mark, [but] I can play both those roles: peel off and intercept, or a lockdown defender.”

When quizzed on the bevy of young tall forwards making their mark as athletic beasts, Gibcus gave a self-assured response: “I reckon I could match up against those guys.”

David Loader, who coached Gibcus at the Greater Western Victoria Rebels this season, is also confident in the key back’s ability to provide an answer to the modern forward.

“He’s a physical freak, and I say that in the kindest way,” Loader said. “He’s got the ability to jump over small buildings. He’s really quite quick as well, and he’s got good endurance.

“With the changing of the game and some of the young stars that are playing as key forwards in the competition now, they’re not necessarily big, stand and deliver contested beasts, but really athletic talls that mark the ball at the highest point.

“You’re going to need a hell of an athlete to play on these guys, and Josh, he fits that mould pretty well.”

Gibcus has only played as a defender since being successfully trialled in the position in a state under-16 match. He was previously deployed as a forward-ruck.

The 196-centimetre tall commenced his football journey in Brisbane, where he spent most of his childhood.

“I’ve been playing from when I was five years old up in Queensland. From there I really fell in love with the game and everything about it. A team sport that you go out and play with mates, I saw that as my passion,” Gibcus said.

He moved to Perth due of his father’s work, but arrived in Victoria as a 14-year-old to be closer with extended family.

Gibcus recalls relishing the move to the football-mad state. “I really did want to come down here because I’d heard about the strength of football, the vast majority of good players were from Victoria,” he said. “I wanted to test my talent against those sorts of blokes.”

The defender is also confident in his ability to direct teammates, and would have considered becoming a teacher as an alternative to football.

“If it wasn’t for footy, I think I’d go down a teaching pathway,” he said. “I think I have an ability to pass on information to others.”

Football, however, remains a clear priority. When recently questioned by one club on which three items he would save if his house was on fire, his first answer showed his passion: “A footy.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...o-top-10-draft-reckoning-20211118-p599zj.html

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Wanted an elite mid but now that we have Gibcus i am genuinely excited. Can’t wait to see him in action and his interview endeared me to him for sure.

Great selection, exciting times y’all.

Reactions: 1 user

Timmy99

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 7, 2006
Canberra
Markologist. Will form an impenetrable wall with Balta eventually.
The combination of Balta and Gibcus could be elite.

Balta to play on the gorillas and run off them on the rebound.

Gibcus to take the more mobile/agile key forward.

Both these boys are quick for their size.

We should be well placed to match up on any forward combination in the league.

Absolute bonus if one of Miller or Biggy makes it as well. Would provide great flexibility for us going forward.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Sounds like we've laid the foundations of a back 6 that will handle most forward lines in the future.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015

Paywalled HS article sorry:

Tiger draft bargain’s ominous warning to competition​

Josh Gibcus has issued a warning to his future opponents and the Tiger Army.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
I'm quite surprised at some of the suggestions around that this young man is ready to go, looking at those arms and the 84kg on the price tag, I'd be amazed if he plays any serious degree of AFL before 2023.
Victor Rasuk Romance GIF by ABC Network

:p

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Welcome Gibbo, I hope you have a long & very successful career at the Tigers. Hopefully you're a multi Premiership player with us. :cupgold:cupgold:cupgold

Reactions: 1 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I'm quite surprised at some of the suggestions around that this young man is ready to go, looking at those arms and the 84kg on the price tag, I'd be amazed if he plays any serious degree of AFL before 2023.

Jake Lever 194cm 89 kg

Josh Gibcus
Recruited from: Western Victoria Rebels/Vic Country
Position: Key defender
Height: 196cm
Weight: 87kg

Reactions: 1 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Has he played on Sam Darcy and Jye Amiss and how did he go?
Moved onto Darcy after he snagged a few in the first quarter during Vic Metro v Vic Country and completely shut him down.
Not sure he’s played against Amiss but reckon he’d be too strong in the air and too quick on the ground for the WA lad.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I suspect there's a pretty big difference in the two body compositions though, a kilo isn't always a kilo.

Yes I am certainly not saying he is good to go but 87kg not a bad starting weight for an 18 year old.

Reactions: 1 user

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Welcome Gibbo, I hope you have a long & very successful career at the Tigers. Hopefully you're a multi Premiership player with us. :cupgold:cupgold:cupgold
Same here TT.
Must admit though I was a bit underwhelmed by his interview after being selected.
Did not appear that excited and thought he sounded a bit cocky.
Maybe that is a good thing, but time will tell if he lives up to his own hype.