Welcome Liam Baker | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Liam Baker

Tiger Ghost

Tiger Superstar
Nov 19, 2010
Your mums house
Figgy loves our boy too!

Nathan Buckley has hailed Richmond utility Liam Baker as “one of the great stories in AFL footy”, given his development at the top level.

After being selected by the Tigers in the 2017 rookie draft, Baker has improved his versatility year-on-year and would be one of the first names on Damien Hardwick’s whiteboard.

He’s averaging 18.7 disposals in 2022 playing primarily as a backman but pushed forward in the final quarter against Port Adelaide last week to record 13 disposals and three shots on goal as the Tigers prevailed by 12 points.

“I don’t know if it’s right to fall in love with an opposition player, but I’ve always loved this bloke,” Buckley told SEN’s Whateley.

“His attitude, his fire, his intensity, he’s played forward, he’s played wing, he’s playing back now - I just think that he’s one of the great stories in AFL footy.

“His capacity to improve himself year-on-year, when you look out onto a football field and it’s AFL, this is the top level of this sport, you can see one guy who stands out above all the other guys as trying harder, like that just doesn’t make any sense but this bloke does it every week.

“And he’s in rare form at the moment, whatever the coach asks of him he gets it done and he can swing forward as a pressure forward if he needs to be, but I just think he’s brilliant.”

The Tigers can move themselves back inside the top eight with a win over Carlton on Thursday night.

Hardwick’s troops have won four of their last five games and are showing signs of potentially getting back to their best, and Buckley believes Baker has played a pivotal role.

“He’s an energiser bunny, he gets it done. He’ll position really well off those high forwards and he’ll know when to squeeze and pressure and maybe turn the ball over in their front half,” he continued.

“He’s averaged four inside 50s (a game) in the last month, that’s playing largely as a defender. Richmond has been able to play the game in their front half more often than not, they’ve scored more heavily than any other team in the competition from the front half turnovers this season which is back to the DNA of their premiership years and Baker has been a really important part of that off their back half in turning defence into offence and being really aggressive with the way he defends.”

Baker is out of contract at the end of 2022, but is in talks with the Tigers regarding an extension.

Reactions: 1 user

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Will be pretty dry this Satdee. And no dew at 16:35 or whatever. No Cotchin. Will Lambert play?

Against the odds it would be mighty handy if Liam baker could lay down the law to Geelong. Can he move into the midfield late and do the job again?

Reactions: 1 users

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
Physically incapable of loving this bloke any more.

Heart and soul.

He was IMMENSE

Reactions: 6 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
We didn't get the money. Mother *smile* it. There must be good numbers for Baker.

It was gusty and flukey. This was a factor for the talls but no dew and no ice.

Baker excelled anyway.

Geelong played Holmes and Atkins at CBs so not stiff competition. (Clanger and Parfitt out.)

Final quarter. baker 6 CBAs for 4 centre clearances.

He did what he could to win the match.

In an as yet unposted thread we could shame the mids with massive CBAs for zip clearance. Or admit they're batting too high. (Dimma is ready for that.)

Back on Baker, during the last quarter he was near a throw in and although he stayed vertical all of him was flopping. Fatigue. It's a factor in our young mid's development.

We faced much weaker midfield company this week than last. But a better ruck plan/combination. Baker emerged when Toby fought back after Hardwick got a handle on the CB massacre.

Rich game. Baker not yet mature but a huge factor this year.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Love this man. He's too good for a back flank. Mid / fwd is his best value to the team. Time for Stack to step up for the vacant back flank role.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Has to be close to B&F. Clubs are circling, WC for one. When are we going to contract some of the long list of soon to be uncontracted players?

Last edited:

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
We were and are so much better when Bakes plays in the midfield. He needs to be part of the rotation even when Prestia and Cotchin are back in the side.

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Bakes excelled in the last quarter in the guts. The downside, however is the small in Geelongs forward line got off the chain. Too bad we don’t have two Baker boys.

Reactions: 6 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Has to be close to B&F. Clubs are circling, WC for one. When are we going to contract some of the long list of soon to be uncontracted players?
I wonder if we are waiting on Cotch and a couple of others to let the club know their intentions moving forward.

Just a gut feeling based on Blair being one of the best in the business. To have so many first choice players uncontracted tells me (just my opinion), that we may not fully know how much $$ are in the kitty based on who is retiring.

No doubt in my mind Lambert and Shedda are retiring. Caddy retired is 3.

What are Cotch and Jack thinking? More importantly, what is Dusty thinking? And are Broad, Shai and Daniel seriously entertaining other good offers.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I wonder if we are waiting on Cotch and a couple of others to let the club know their intentions moving forward.

Just a gut feeling based on Blair being one of the best in the business. To have so many first choice players uncontracted tells me (just my opinion), that we may not fully know how much $$ are in the kitty based on who is retiring.

What are Cotch and Jack thinking? More importantly, what is Dusty thinking? And are Broad, Shai and Daniel seriously entertaining other good offers.
Surely Baker is one of 3 or 4 who we want to keep at all costs regardless of what Cotch and Jack do. I'd put Rioli and Bolton in the same bracket, must keeps. The longer you wait, the more opportunity given to other teams to get in their ear.

Reactions: 2 users

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
Surely Baker is one of 3 or 4 who we want to keep at all costs regardless of what Cotch and Jack do. I'd put Rioli and Bolton in the same bracket, must keeps. The longer you wait, the more opportunity given to other teams to get in their ear.
Baker's value is going up each week - his agent won't be signing anything anytime soon I wouldn't think.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Time to stop waiting and sign a few of our younger players. If Cotch, Jack etc then choose to play on then their salaries rely upon what is left in the kitty. No need to wait.

DS

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Time to stop waiting and sign a few of our younger players. If Cotch, Jack etc then choose to play on then their salaries rely upon what is left in the kitty. No need to wait.

DS
If Cotchin & Riewoldt want to stay, they stay on what we can afford.
No 800k No 600k
That's why deep down I wouldn't mind Dusty going to Sydney.
There 2nd rounder and they pick up his entire salary.
Then we go after Hopper or Tarranto.
Go after the tall from Freo 450k would get him over.