Welcome Liam Baker | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Liam Baker

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Not sure how good he ends up.

All bets are off from here.

Ceiling gets lifted every couple of weeks at the moment.

Reactions: 1 user

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
Could he be the heir apparent to the great T Cotchin? As each week goes by .. I’m starting to think he might be. Hard tough player. He has always been a great effort man… but he is now turning games.. having a direct impact on the game… that’s elite status.

Reactions: 3 users

josey

Tiger Superstar
Mar 17, 2008
Melbourne
Could he be the heir apparent to the great T Cotchin? As each week goes by .. I’m starting to think he might be. Hard tough player. He has always been a great effort man… but he is now turning games.. having a direct impact on the game… that’s elite status.

How good is he going? You can only admire his bravery.

I was thinking about his midfield work over the weekend and it is amazing what he has been able to produce. My only concern is simply his size.
He was up against a relatively small cats midfield on Friday night but how does he go against the monster mids. We know he will crack in and give everything but I suspect Hardwick may need to be selective on his midfield time and especially his role when playing there.

If he is chucked into the Number 1 or 2 midfield role he will get knocked around pretty quick and I reckon Dimma might need to protect Bakes from himself.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
He got us back in the game against the cats and steadied the ship against the blues and port when moved up the ground. Not only playing well but impacting games against good opposition.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
How good is he going? You can only admire his bravery.

I was thinking about his midfield work over the weekend and it is amazing what he has been able to produce. My only concern is simply his size.
He was up against a relatively small cats midfield on Friday night but how does he go against the monster mids. We know he will crack in and give everything but I suspect Hardwick may need to be selective on his midfield time and especially his role when playing there.

If he is chucked into the Number 1 or 2 midfield role he will get knocked around pretty quick and I reckon Dimma might need to protect Bakes from himself.
Size doesn't always matter when you have Bakes intensity. He dumped Hawkins well enough and kept him down

• Love

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
The problem we have with Baker is his adaptability. He can play anywhere on the park and make his presence felt so choosing the perfect position for him will depend on a particular game. He is very much attack minded but also great in defence so a conundrum that is good to have

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
Size doesn't always matter when you have Bakes intensity. He dumped Hawkins well enough and kept him down
Well Bakes will be able to easily adapt to life after footy when he retires a 4 time premiership player with a Normie and three JDMs plus 320 games.

Just has to channel Buster Gonad (from Vis magazine) and make use of his greatest assets!

1656320556928.png1656320458989.png

• Haha
  • Love

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Is reported to have the Eagles chasing him.

Not sure how long the Baker Boy was on the rookie list. I know that last year he triggered a contract extension for this season.

Whatever he decides, Bakes has got a significant pay rise coming his way, and a very well deserved pay rise at that.

I'm hoping like hell that Bakes stays.

Last edited:

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Is reported to have the Eagles chasing him.

Not sure how long the Baker Boy was on the rookie list. I know that last year he triggered a contract extension for this season.

Whatever he decides, Bakes has got a significant pay rise coming his way, and a very well deserved pay rise at that.

I'm hoping like hell that Bake stays.
The same was said about Bolton when his contract was up for renewal. The culture within the club and the togetherness meant more to him than just money and I suggest (hope) Baker feels the same. We still give good coin to these up and coming stars so few want to leave voluntarily

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The same was said about Bolton when his contract was up for renewal. The culture within the club and the togetherness meant more to him than just money and I suggest (hope) Baker feels the same. We still give good coin to these up and coming stars so few want to leave voluntarily
Bolton has put his contract extension on hold hasn't he?

Bakes was a rookie for at least 2 years, so he wouldn't have been on very good coin.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
A good read:

Yes, good article, saw it in the paper this morning.

About time players like Baker got the recognition they deserve. My image of Baker was of him bouncing up after being mown down by Dixon in a game (PF?) against Port Adelaide. Dixon being a massive unit and Baker so small I reckon Dixon thought Baker wouldn't get straight up, but he just abut bounced up as if nothing had happened.

DS

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Yes, good article, saw it in the paper this morning.

About time players like Baker got the recognition they deserve. My image of Baker was of him bouncing up after being mown down by Dixon in a game (PF?) against Port Adelaide. Dixon being a massive unit and Baker so small I reckon Dixon thought Baker wouldn't get straight up, but he just abut bounced up as if nothing had happened.

DS
Got up with his big beaming grin

• Love