Matthew Parker | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew Parker

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I have posted this before, but on what I have seen of him, my biggest knock on Parker at WAFL level is that he goes to ground way too easily.

I think he can be a player for us, but a forever role player like Broad or McIntosh rather than a blossoming role player like Baker with the potential to morph in to something else.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Jury's out but a one-year deal is right for where he's at. Kane Lambert made a big jump around the same age. Broad a bit younger but similar improvement.

Reactions: 1 users

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
He doesn't need another preseason his tank is fine (covered 16kms in one match)

Its the rest of his game (bar his tackles) that is sub par.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Will be on the outside with the likes of Caddy, Aarts, Ross, etc.

Others will likely be preferred when fit.

Reactions: 1 user

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
The competition is what we need. I reckon Caddy will be battling harder though.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Club confirmed his extension. Hartley had some positive things to say towards him.
Good, he worked hard and had an impact at times.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Gotta keep a few on the list so delistings can be made the next year.

Parker, Nyuon, Cumberland, Aarts, Ross, and Martyn are all in that category.

They all have next season to prove themselves worthy of extending their stay.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I liked some of the things he did last year at the contest. Definitely in competition with Castagna & Aarts for a spot. I question all of them a little though.
Am hopeful rather than certain that he'll be better with a full preseason.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I have formed the view that if players like Parker, Aarts, Caddy and even George are playing then the odds are we will not win the premiership next year and if they are all playing at once, then God help us - the odds are we have a stack of injuries and will most likely finish outside the 8.

They are now all depth players - George included.

Reactions: 5 users

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
I have formed the view that if players like Parker, Aarts, Caddy and even George are playing then the odds are we will not win the premiership next year and if they are all playing at once, then God help us - the odds are we have a stack of injuries and will most likely finish outside the 8.

They are now all depth players - George included.
100%.
Good luck to Parker but his signing in the mid season draft was likely as a top-up when we were still thinking we were a finals chance.
Which was effectively snuffed out within the next month.
I wouldn't have doubled down on the Parker mis-step but can only think him & the above are stop gap whilst the young un's come on or are ultimately moved on.
Either way there's quite a few on our list that probably won't be there in 12m.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Still not sure what Parker brings to the team to our advantage but obviously the club see something in him so I will give him the benefit of the doubt as he is a Tiger

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
No disrespect intended - but I reckon he'll be a barometer for us next season.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
If we are a top 4 side, he has to play less than 5 games in 2022.

Reactions: 3 users

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Good on him - but if that doesn't show we are in desperate need of some class A medium / small forwards I don't know what would.

Tames

Tiger Superstar
Apr 3, 2005
Melbourne
Coaches loves defensive efforts, and nothing says that more than tackles - Averaging 5.8 in the last 6 AFL games and 8.5 in his VFL games this year.
He doesn't stand out to me, but that pressure has surely resulted in the contract extension.

Wish him well.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I have posted this before, but on what I have seen of him, my biggest knock on Parker at WAFL level is that he goes to ground way too easily.

I think he can be a player for us, but a forever role player like Broad or McIntosh rather than a blossoming role player like Baker with the potential to morph in to something else.
Forever role players and blossoming role players
A fancy turn of phrase there Streaka!