Welcome Noah Cumberland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Noah Cumberland

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Cumberland is one who I am very interested to see how he goes in 2023, and beyond. He was great this year, showed many attributes that should help him to a successful career. But the AFL is littered with players who burst onto the scene and look to have big futures in front of them, only to struggle to back it up before finding their careers over much sooner than expected.
I really hope Noah isn't one of those guys. He skill set as a goal kicking forward could be invaluable to us, and could help keep us dangerous up forward after Jack goes.

Reactions: 10 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Cumberland is one who I am very interested to see how he goes in 2023, and beyond. He was great this year, showed many attributes that should help him to a successful career. But the AFL is littered with players who burst onto the scene and look to have big futures in front of them, only to struggle to back it up before finding their careers over much sooner than expected.
I really hope Noah isn't one of those guys. He skill set as a goal kicking forward could be invaluable to us, and could help keep us dangerous up forward after Jack goes.
Reckon your concerns on Cumberlands career longevity are valid Brodders. Have said before that he’s trying to make it as a mid-sized forward which is just about the hardest thing to do in the AFL.

What gives me hope is the way he kicked his goals last season. He got out on the lead took pack marks, won ground balls, basically did everything except get cheap ball out the back of the pack. There is a long way to go but I still think there is something a bit special about Cumberland.

Reactions: 3 users

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Seeing as he utilised a running/fitness coach when he went back to Qld in the post-season, I believe this determination will take him to another level

Reactions: 7 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Jacob Townsend a perfect example.
Thought he would go on with his 2017 heroics but for one reason or another couldn’t reach the same dizzy heights.
Cumberland has more tricks but, like Townsend, came from a low base in the VFL and took his opportunity when his chance arose.
Caesar reports he’s training the house down.
Fingers and toes firmly crossed. So important to our fortunes.

Last edited:

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Been a long list of promising forwards that burst from the blocks and never went on with it. So far so good but he aint Peter Daicos yet. But I'm still bullish. 30g would be outstanding.

Reactions: 1 user

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Jacob Townsend a perfect example.
Thought he would go on with his 2017 heroics but for one reason or another couldn’t reach the same dizzy heights.
Cumberland has more tricks but, like Townsend, came from a low base in the VFL and took his opportunity when his chance arose.
Caesar reports he’s training the house down.
Fingers and toes firmly crossed. So important to our fortunes.
Cumberland has waaaaay more tricks and AFL traits. Towner had a lot of meh stuff (from an AFL perspective) 28 games over 4 seasons with GWS before he hit that purple patch of goal kicking accuracy and getting shots on goal. He literally took every chance he got and it wasn’t a sustainable output. It came at the perfect time for us and I think even to the start of round 1 in 2018. Love him and a hero forever and tough as nails. I have much much higher hopes for Noah He creates so much.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Reckon your concerns on Cumberlands career longevity are valid Brodders. Have said before that he’s trying to make it as a mid-sized forward which is just about the hardest thing to do in the AFL.

What gives me hope is the way he kicked his goals last season. He got out on the lead took pack marks, won ground balls, basically did everything except get cheap ball out the back of the pack. There is a long way to go but I still think there is something a bit special about Cumberland.

Yeah, this.

With forwards becoming ever taller and bigger the mid sized forward is such a difficult role to play. He clearly looks like he is willing to do the work and has the footy smarts to succeed, but it will never be easy, he won't get many cheap possessions and goals, the game will not get easier - this is the fate of a mid sized forward in today's game, it is a challenge every week.

DS

Reactions: 1 users
Jan 12, 2012
Melbourne
Could he be our Bayley Fritsch? I’d be happy.
I reckon he reads it like Fritsch, and nails most of his opportunities as well. But I think he has some lateral movement that puts him in a different - and more exciting - category. He hits stride really quickly when he changes direction. Gives me Didak vibes.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I reckon he reads it like Fritsch, and nails most of his opportunities as well. But I think he has some lateral movement that puts him in a different - and more exciting - category. He hits stride really quickly when he changes direction. Gives me Didak vibes.
Didak I s remembered more for his errors
made off the field than what he did on it.
Not so sure we should wish for the same for Noah.

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Cumberland provides a balance in our forward line that is really important to us.

We actually had the best scoring forward line in the league for the year and that was largely because we had the best key forward going around in Lynch, Jack playing a perfect foil to Tommy, MJ buzzing around providing elite pressure and Noah playing the link medium forward playing both as a marking player and a crumber. He is a left footer as well which makes a point of difference.

He is really important to us because that balance will provide a potency that is going to be hard to stop with a better midfield. He is the sort of player who can get 6-8 touches and kick 2-3 goals and that is fine, it means someone has to mind him because he is dangerous which will be opening up opportunities for others.

For those with a good memory he reminds me of Bomber James when he was at his best for a few seasons, probably it is the left leg that does it.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I am very confident on Noah.

But I thought his role was diminished when Dusty played the last game, as he became less of a focal point as the third option after Lynch/Jack.

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
I am very confident on Noah.

But I thought his role was diminished when Dusty played the last game, as he became less of a focal point as the third option after Lynch/Jack.
I worry about them all gelling the in the forward line and his opportunities diminishing. But that is up to the forwards coach to work on. He will certainly not be double teamed at any stage. Will need to make the most of his opportunities

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007

Cumberland actually defends better and tackles harder

Reactions: 2 users