Welcome Noah Cumberland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Noah Cumberland

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Looks like a confused player to me , looks to have gone away from instinct and flair and worrying about what spot on the court to stand

Reactions: 7 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
One small thing, well maybe two that would help the Cummerbund and probably all of our forwards at times during games.

1. Some decent delivery in front of, or to the advantage side of our forwards at times would make it so much easier for them to actually win some ball.

2. Quick delivery to the occasional one out forward would also help a bit, far to often we get the ball through the midfield approaching our forward arc and simply prop n hold off from taking the one out opportunity. Waiting instead until there's twenty or so players inside fifty before going in high to a contest in the hope of somehow getting perhaps a pack mark or maybe a congested scramble where we can somehow scrounge a crumbers snap at goal. Pretty sure most sides have worked out this was a large part of our success a few years ago and they've got plenty of options in place to minimise this method.

Reactions: 4 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Looks like a confused player to me , looks to have gone away from instinct and flair and worrying about what spot on the court to stand
Dimma in the post match said how with us missing talls that Noah had to play a different sort of game

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Watched the replay this arvo, poor old Cummerbund had exactly SFA went right for him. Every time he went near it or tried something it turned to *smile* in front of him.
Still only played a handful of games, some days he'll get on the end of some good stuff n go well n some days he'll get almost nearly n have a mare.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
One small thing, well maybe two that would help the Cummerbund and probably all of our forwards at times during games.

1. Some decent delivery in front of, or to the advantage side of our forwards at times would make it so much easier for them to actually win some ball.

2. Quick delivery to the occasional one out forward would also help a bit, far to often we get the ball through the midfield approaching our forward arc and simply prop n hold off from taking the one out opportunity. Waiting instead until there's twenty or so players inside fifty before going in high to a contest in the hope of somehow getting perhaps a pack mark or maybe a congested scramble where we can somehow scrounge a crumbers snap at goal. Pretty sure most sides have worked out this was a large part of our success a few years ago and they've got plenty of options in place to minimise this method.
I'd add another that our fwds aren't playing for each other. You watch other teams and they're blocking and foiling. From my position on the couch it looks like very man for himself. Perhaps the issues with him and couch at present is he isn't playing his role to do the above and going for everything?

HKTigerB

Tiger Rookie
Jun 24, 2019
Noah played the George role, i.e. CHF and marking target a fair bit in the first half and got hammered. He did then pressure and chase. I actually thought he played better this week then against the Suns and I thought was more taken off as he had taken a battering on behalf of the team. In the second half they trusted Jack Ross, Hugo and Kamdyn to manage the wings and used Marlion as the CHF. Marlion can take the "battering" better.

Reactions: 2 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
To defend a player who is quick it's smart to match up a quicker player.

Simpson had quicks watching The Prince. And Shai. Blokes quicker than each of them in the main.

Rotham is just a footballer but he is much bigger than Cumbo, can jump clean over him and would beat the brisk Cumberland by 10m over 20m. He is lightning. And Jamaine Jones took over at times. No space for Cumberland.

And even when he didn't have Rotham or Jones he never got a soft match up. And was on watch by the very accomplished WCE defenders.

Noah could not get into the game but was active for most of the first half. Late in the second he gave up a very cheap free on Hurn when Shai and Jack were flying for a mark. Then gave up a 50 when he lost focus. Rested his head on the fence.

He was sent up the park in the third and fumbled three simple gathers in a minute. Confidence shot. Not long after when matched up on Jamaine Jones, who was running around unmarked in his own forward line, Cumberland was subbed.

Cumberland got tough matchups against Sydney too and came up short. And it's not easy to get a kick if Martin or Shai are in the area.

Our youngster is not measuring up at times. No problem. He can level up. But he'll have to. To do so there are only three rules he need follow-

Go again
Go again
Go again

Reactions: 10 users

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
I'd add another that our fwds aren't playing for each other. You watch other teams and they're blocking and foiling. From my position on the couch it looks like very man for himself. Perhaps the issues with him and couch at present is he isn't playing his role to do the above and going for everything?
Jack and Lynch used to do it a lot but then the media highlighted it, may have even been Kingy. And we copped frees against
Now it happens and it’s great team play.
Tigers do it - illegal block.
Oh sorry tbR

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Jack and Lynch used to do it a lot but then the media highlighted it, may have even been Kingy. And we copped frees against
Now it happens and it’s great team play.
Tigers do it - illegal block.
Oh sorry tbR
Well Taranto did get praised against Carlton for blocking for lynch to enable the mark that lead to the goal for the draw. He did it legally though jumping at the ball. But if the umpire pinged it I’m sure that would have been labelled harsh but fair too.

Completely outcome based.

Reactions: 1 users

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Cumbo kick 3.2 from 11 disposals 2 tackles in todays draw with the Pussies
What are the chances he’ll be recalled to AFL? None he should’ve kicked 5 straight

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
You get the feeling Noah won't be back for a while.
The two boys up forward in Nigel and The Pain Inflictor (50) give steely resolve and hardness to the forward line.
We look infinitely better.
Can he get fitter to take The Pain's wing spot?

Reactions: 1 user

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
Cumbo kick 3.2 from 11 disposals 2 tackles in todays draw with the Pussies
What are the chances he’ll be recalled to AFL? None he should’ve kicked 5 straight
Morris said he was pleased with his efforts and he was positive. Still needs to further develop his defensive..

Rod

Tiger Superstar
Aug 3, 2003
Bruswick West
Steve Morris' answer to a Q about Cumberland after the VFL draw against Geelong were interesting...

Go to 3 min 35 sec

What are some of the areas of Cumbo's game that we really want to see develop at this level so we can see hiom again at AFL level?

It's our system. He's very very good unstructured... if I could play him out of the goal square he'd probably kick 5, 6, 7 each week and he'd be a very very good player at VFL level... but that's not what we want for him. We want bigger things for him. We definitely think as a footy club, he's got more in store for himself and he really approached it in the right manner today.

I spoke to him in the first quarter about a really great defensive effort and I think that's what we see from him when he's playing well and funnily enough gets rewarded on the score board at the end ofthe day.

So that's what we want to see from him.

His investment in his teammates was really good today and it's not always a highlight of his... so I'm really pleased to see that version of Noah Cumberland... and I don't want to see him here too much because I think he should be out on the big stage... but he's putting in the work and I'm sure he'll get the reward at some stage.

Reactions: 6 users

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
You get the feeling Noah won't be back for a while.
The two boys up forward in Nigel and The Pain Inflictor (50) give steely resolve and hardness to the forward line.
We look infinitely better.
Can he get fitter to take The Pain's wing spot?
No chance Cumbo will play on the wing
Off HB is a possibility Needs to work on defensive skills kicking goals is so yesterday :rolleyes: