Welcome Noah Cumberland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Noah Cumberland

wammo

We're from Tigerland
May 16, 2007
Steve Morris' answer to a Q about Cumberland after the VFL draw against Geelong were interesting...

Go to 3 min 35 sec

What are some of the areas of Cumbo's game that we really want to see develop at this level so we can see hiom again at AFL level?

It's our system. He's very very good unstructured... if I could play him out of the goal square he'd probably kick 5, 6, 7 each week and he'd be a very very good player at VFL level... but that's not what we want for him. We want bigger things for him. We definitely think as a footy club, he's got more in store for himself and he really approached it in the right manner today.

I spoke to him in the first quarter about a really great defensive effort and I think that's what we see from him when he's playing well and funnily enough gets rewarded on the score board at the end ofthe day.

So that's what we want to see from him.

His investment in his teammates was really good today and it's not always a highlight of his... so I'm really pleased to see that version of Noah Cumberland... and I don't want to see him here too much because I think he should be out on the big stage... but he's putting in the work and I'm sure he'll get the reward at some stage.
Thanks for posting that Rod.
Really impressive messaging from Morro and goes a long way to answering the questions many of us have been asking.

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
I reckon if we played Nank, Samson, Dusty, Balta, Broad and 17 Cumbos we would beat North and West Coast

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Morris on VFL R8 v Geel -

Noah Cumberland (11 disposals, two tackles, three goals)

"Really proud of the way he went about it on the day. His attitude was fantastic, he had a big influence on the match, and we loved the way he invested in his teammates."

Cumberland gets a big rap from the coach.

Reactions: 3 users

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Cumbo kicked 4 goals today in a BOG performance in the VFL
Whats the chances of Dimma picking a forward with X factor and allowing him to play his natural game? None

Reactions: 1 user

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Been the best Sub all year when he did it , can’t even get a gig doing that. Is a better forward than Juddy!
In a team that has one forward who is routed - Jack. And a bunch of mids and wingers playing forward

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Whats the chances of Dimma picking a forward with X factor and allowing him to play his natural game? None
Yep. Who gives a *smile* about his defensive game, as there are others in attack to do it for him. Jack wasn't the best either for years.

Reactions: 2 users

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Been the best Sub all year when he did it , can’t even get a gig doing that. Is a better forward than Juddy!
In a team that has one forward who is routed - Jack. And a bunch of mids and wingers playing forward
.. too
Much talent in the forward line can’t fit him even as a sub Hilarious

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Someone has to be a decoy and block the opposition exits by guarding space - a very important role for a less talented player

• Sad

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
IMG_3422.jpeg

Hey Dimma over here
Guess who was BOG in the VFL? Remember this guy he also kicked 4 goals
Any chance of a game before he gets disenchanted and goes elsewhere

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Played his magoos game like he wanted his senior spot back, just a natural instinctive forward. Geez we could have used him last night, poor old Jaaack copped a flogging and apart from a couple of try hard scrappers there wasn't a real lot happening with our entire forward set up.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
BOG in the reserves with 4 goals.
Was a shining light at snr level last season.
Whilst he probably deserved to be dropped a fortnight ago, I honestly think Hardwick has been extremely harsh with him this season.
We need more weapons up front not less.

Reactions: 6 users

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
BOG in the reserves with 4 goals.
Was a shining light at snr level last season.
Whilst he probably deserved to be dropped a fortnight ago, I honestly think Hardwick has been extremely harsh with him this season.
We need more weapons up front not less.

Come on ToO, he still hasn't served his 'must do' apprenticeship down back yet...

• Haha

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Get him in , couldn’t give a flying if he dosent get a tackle , kid can do the mercurial and we need goal kickers as our attack inside 50 is deplorable

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Interesting watching and considering Stringer.
Not saying Cumbo is Stringer so don’t come at me with that rubbish .!
Stringer was quiet for long periods - but he remains dangerous and only needs short periods to impact.
You don’t like to play against him.
The oppo would not be displeased Cumberland is not out there - he is dangerous, especially given our forward line is made up of mids and wingers and a backman

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Get him in , couldn’t give a flying if he dosent get a tackle , kid can do the mercurial and we need goal kickers as our attack inside 50 is deplorable

My first instinct is to agree,

But if hes schooled right,

Hell do the mercurial AND tackle.

Were planning for 5 years time now, not next week.

Cumbo could be an unconventional FF in our next flag, but youve got to be hard wired to work your arse off without the ball.

The VfL is choccas with 26 year old, seemingly gun forwards,

Who either never worked this out, or just dont have the haemoglobin to do it.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Posted a couple of weeks ago that Cumberland has averaged more tackles i50 than any other player this season. That matters when it was what he was asked to work on.

The preference of defensive qualities over attacking ones has served Dimma extremely well over the journey no doubt so be mad to question him.
However as Mr B said a while back Cumberland looked confused in his last couple of appearances. If you end up thinking too much as a player about what you’re not doing well it can also harm the things you do naturally.
Hopefully Cumberland (& Dimma) can find a good balance cause he has more natural talent than most.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Reading between the lines in Dimma's presser, sounds like Cumbo will be back next week.

• Haha

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
My first instinct is to agree,

But if hes schooled right,

Hell do the mercurial AND tackle.

Were planning for 5 years time now, not next week.

Cumbo could be an unconventional FF in our next flag, but youve got to be hard wired to work your arse off without the ball.

The VfL is choccas with 26 year old, seemingly gun forwards,

Who either never worked this out, or just dont have the haemoglobin to do it.
No doubt Dimma has done this with others to great success, I just get the feel Dimma judges Noah harshly as he bruises like an off peach rather then the fact he kicks goals

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Noah doesn't need any more of Dimma's great successes or he will be looking elsewhere for a home.

And how would blame him.