Welcome Sam Banks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Sam Banks

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I'm a big fan of Sam, he had 23 disposals and took 10 marks in the VFL last weekend. He's knocking on the door, I reckon he'll crack it for a game before too long.

Reactions: 5 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
I don't know what it says on the packet but he's about 190/70. Some kind of star the making but real skinny.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
I'm a big fan of Sam, he had 23 disposals and took 10 marks in the VFL last weekend. He's knocking on the door, I reckon he'll crack it for a game before too long.
Same. He looks like a very classy player at VFL level but doesn’t do enough yet in games to earn a promotion. Hopefully he has his breakout game soon and we get to see him at AFL level shortly after.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
He played ok but nearly all those disposals and marks were pretty cheap, off half back-wing, on the outside transition related ones in space. Fairly bruise free I reckon. He’s a beautiful kick so I understand him being given that role but does he have any other tricks in the magic bag ?

I watched every one of his Tassie Devils games in 21 and he performed a similar role relying on guys like Davis and Sanders to get the ball to him.

Maybe like to see him add a bit of weight, get his hands a bit dirtier before blooding. Not that we couldn’t do with his kicking skills however.

Whose spot does he take off half back or wing do you think ?

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
He played ok but nearly all those disposals and marks were pretty cheap, off half back-wing, on the outside transition related ones in space. Fairly bruise free I reckon. He’s a beautiful kick so I understand him being given that role but does he have any other tricks in the magic bag ?

I watched every one of his Tassie Devils games in 21 and he performed a similar role relying on guys like Davis and Sanders to get the ball to him.

Maybe like to see him add a bit of weight, get his hands a bit dirtier before blooding. Not that we couldn’t do with his kicking skills however.

Well I’m playing him this week to play for Short. We need the pace and kicking skills.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane

If he's a beautiful kick surely he is ahead of Ralphsmith who also gets most of his touches on the outside but whose kicking can be iffy?

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
If he's a beautiful kick surely he is ahead of Ralphsmith who also gets most of his touches on the outside but whose kicking can be iffy?
Think Ralph is a far harder runner than Sam at this stage. Ralph had an “average“ rating for contested possessions in 22 at senior level. Not sure what Sam is running at in the VFL.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Good question, is a good mover and lovely kick, perhaps KMac if he goes back to replace Broady.
Well, with Short and Broad out, Smith who plays a similar role out as well, now is probably the opportunity if the club thinks he’s ready.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
If Ralph is getting a game ahead of him, think that suggests the club thinks Banko isn’t quite ready yet.

Next week ! ;)

Reactions: 2 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
If Ralph is getting a game ahead of him, think that suggests the club thinks Banko isn’t quite ready yet.

Next week ! ;)
Ralph is on for his pace. Banks is fighting for a spot on a wing. Long term replacement for either Macintosh or Pickett.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Yeah, not ready yet. Skinny. Outside. Has time, and we'll give it to him.

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
A couple of interesting observations about Sam during the week.
He had a slightly quieter game against Coburg and I noticed that Steve Morris said that he was often in good positions and open but the players couldn’t get the ball to him in the conditions.
Then on the Talking Tigers podcast Richo said that he thinks Sam Banks is one of those players who will play better in the firsts on the better grounds.
I hope we are considering him.
I have seen him live a couple of times and to me he looks like a natural AFL winger, kicks the ball really well.
Yes he is outside and he is a bit skinny still.

Reactions: 2 users