Thomson Dow | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thomson Dow

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I agree. I think guys like Edwards, Houli, even Cotch and Lambert will be rotated in and out more often due to their age and repetitive injury risk giving opportunities to those that take their chances. Once they're in anything can happen. Injuries as well. Some of these young guys have to be given games to boost their progress. Tigers showed this year we can cover players with the younger brigade.

Can't see this with Sheds. He gets better every year, and I don't see a replacement for him in our younger players.

I have said it before, but I reckon Sheds is our Burgoyne. I am thinking another 3-4 seasons minimum.

Reactions: 4 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Can't see this with Sheds. He gets better every year, and I don't see a replacement for him in our younger players.

I have said it before, but I reckon Sheds is our Burgoyne. I am thinking another 3-4 seasons minimum.
I agree to no rotation of Sheds but IMO Shai is Shedlike, no-one can lay a hand on him , elite vision, (i am sure someone will still bring up where he has burnt a player ;)), nearly every possession is damaging and he brings teammates into play.

• Love

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
I agree to no rotation of Sheds but IMO Shai is Shedlike, no-one can lay a hand on him , elite vision, (i am sure someone will still bring up where he has burnt a player ;)), nearly every possession is damaging and he brings teammates into play.
except the 3 HTB in the 1 st 1/4 against Brisbane :):)

ducks for cover

• Haha

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
The thing about Shai, is that he’s young and has such a high ceiling. We’re going to be marveling at him for years to come.

Reactions: 3 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
The thing about Shai, is that he’s young and has such a high ceiling. We’re going to be marveling at him for years to come.

Shai just turned 22 on 8 Dec, I bet Shedda wished he started his career with the sort of team Shai has been blessed with. Shedda's first 4 years recruited in 2007 when we were spooners, 9th 2008, 2nd last 2009, 2nd last 2010. Compare that to Sha's 1st 4 years 3 premierships and a 3rd he is a lucky boy and we are lucky to have him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014

Maybe. I agree Sheds has had a good run without injury and I would love to see him go 4 more years. My point really is that if the older players miss 4 or 5 games here or there to keep them fresh that gives the opportunity for some decent game time for some of the younger brigade and who knows what happens if they make the most of their chances. I think 2020 may have changed the attitude around resting players.

Reactions: 1 users

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Shai just turned 22 on 8 Dec, I bet Shedda wished he started his career with the sort of team Shai has been blessed with. Shedda's first 4 years recruited in 2007 when we were spooners, 9th 2008, 2nd last 2009, 2nd last 2010. Compare that to Sha's 1st 4 years 3 premierships and a 3rd he is a lucky boy and we are lucky to have him.
Shed was a whipping boy for his first 10 years. Shai ahead of him at the same stage for PRE love.

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Shed was a whipping boy for his first 10 years. Shai ahead of him at the same stage for PRE love.
Agreed

Sheds kicking was probably the main factor behind the angst early doors., hence the lad copped the Shank moniker.

I was one who bemoaned his kicking early days.

He was always quick of hand and mind and eye in close but was hardly played to his strengths mostly due to size and condition being a young pup.

His best work is still done in close and not many release team mates forward of the footy or put team mates into play as well as Shane can from congestion be it by hand or foot (deft touches and toe pokes).

Has matured into an outrageous player at times, slick and many of his tips and taps and pokes and flicks go unnoticed, proved his metal and and his weight in gold when he led the side in that first 3rd of the 2019 season from HB.

Our successful era style of footy was made for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Can see Dow playing 4-8 games next year, especially interstate fixtures where the Tigers might choose to give the likes of Chimpa or Bash a week off.

Reactions: 1 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Agreed

Sheds kicking was probably the main factor behind the angst early doors., hence the lad copped the Shank moniker.

I was one who bemoaned his kicking early days.

He was always quick of hand and mind and eye in close but was hardly played to his strengths mostly due to size and condition being a young pup.

His best work is still done in close and not many release team mates forward of the footy or put team mates into play as well as Shane can from congestion be it by hand or foot (deft touches and toe pokes).

Has matured into an outrageous player at times, slick and many of his tips and taps and pokes and flicks go unnoticed, proved his metal and and his weight in gold when he led the side in that first 3rd of the 2019 season from HB.

Our successful era style of footy was made for him.
Imo Shed was too quick for his then team mates, he'd look to kick the ball to where a team mate "should be" & see that he wasn't where Shed expected him to be, so he'd "pull" his kick & consequently "shank" his kick. I saw him do it a few times.

Imo he was wrongly labelled,

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

hopefully $hai never, ever has to experience mediocrity,

and its realistic he wont.

But if you have to, I reckon I'd rather rise from mediocrity to glory,

than sink from glory, into mediocrity?

Surely the flags would taste slightly sweeter for the blokes who slogged through the lost years?

• Love
Reactions: 3 users