Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Bit rusty but should improve.

I like Short. I like Short and Houli in the same team.

It means the following things:

1) Stack can play mid / forward

2) Ellis and KMac can run deeper into the wings and provide more extension to our transfer of play

3) part of the art of playing at the G is using 40 m darts into the width of the ground and capitalise on pace and forward momentum. With short and Houli on board, we have several precise kicks who can break lines. Bash, Jayden, Bolton, Stack, dusty, even Egg.

Yes, we’ve only played the saints and suns, but we are improving at a rapid rate and I believe it’s no coincidence that we now have dynamic kicks on every line.
That’s how I see it too , shorty has the ability to break,lines when he rebounds from def 50 , that has to be a weapon in anyone’s language

Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Agree BS. I want kickers everywhere, I want the 45 angle, the 60 metre bullet, the centre square lead up, players capable of all these.
I’ve no problems if Shorty gets overtaken by Des or Naish but right now our ball movement looks as good as it has. Keep rolling with what we have. But Short must get better or face getting Bakered. We have depth, no one is off limits.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Im no shorty hater

But his game today was dreadful

One of the worst games i can recall a richmond player playing

Ian Hill should be presented with Shorts jumper on debut

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Taught a lesson from a debutant. Won’t make it as a defender, wing or bust. Stack will have to go back...

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Besides that tackle in the last qtr. He was useless.
He should take up boxing, he is the best at avoiding contests and dodging any contact.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I was at the game in a official capacity and was disappointed in a number of poor physical efforts from Jayden today.

He short stepped today on more than a few occasions when he needed to go and put his body in to hold the Giants up as he was the only Tiger there and he simply didn't........and cost at least 2 goals directly.

Sometimes it's your turn to go and he didn't.

So before the Short fans think I'm crucifying him, I have no agenda and I do not dislike the lad I'm not talking about tackling blokes that are right there, I'm talking about putting your body in line and over the footy and in the contest to stop the opposition run and cause a hold up in play and a stoppage to allow for the defence to get organised or to buy time for team mates to get over and assist.

Needs to do better than that especially when playing as a defender.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
And today showed why he is not built for finals football.

He is the difference. Alongside McIntosh and Ellis.
All can’t be trusted.
Castagna at least provides huge pressure even when he is down.
Rioli has proved that he does put his body on the line.

The Collingwood game will prove what I’ve be saying since day one about short. He is a forwards dream match up.
Last years preliminary he waited till Sidebottom kicked the ball before going anywhere near him.
Move him to the wing FFS.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
With all the squib talk, he was 2nd in the tackles today with 6 while Chimp lead with 9.

Is he not scared to tackle but too scared to bump or bust a pack? I'm lost.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
He is the difference. Alongside McIntosh and Ellis.
All can’t be trusted.
Castagna at least provides huge pressure even when he is down.
Rioli has proved that he does put his body on the line.

The Collingwood game will prove what I’ve be saying since day one about short. He is a forwards dream match up.
Last years preliminary he waited till Sidebottom kicked the ball before going anywhere near him.
Move him to the wing FFS.
He would get killed on the wing. Even more exposed. Can't win his own ball, no one to feed him the pill and no hope of covering the ground we require our wingers to.

As for trust, we can trust McIntosh, a proven finals performer.
2015: His first season, one of our best handful in the loss to North.
2017: Good in all three finals, especially when the heat was on early.
2018: 3 goals against Hawks, one of our best v Pies.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
For all the things I love about Short, it is lack of a defensive game that worries me.

Yes, he will chime in every now and again but boy oh boy when it comes time to force a contest, he fails.

He might be servicable in the Home and Away rounds but IMHO doesnt have the grunt that stands up in the furnace of Finals.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
For all the things I love about Short, it is lack of a defensive game that worries me.

Yes, he will chime in every now and again but boy oh boy when it comes time to force a contest, he fails.

He might be servicable in the Home and Away rounds but IMHO doesnt have the grunt that stands up in the furnace of Finals.

Already got shown up last year in the finals .

There's a differences between tackling from behind or from the side and running into a contest and committing your body to a hit to hold up a loose footy or cause a stoppage to slow the opposition and it stood out badly yesterday and cost a few goals directly as a result

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
Had a poor game. Would want to improve. Showed signs in the last quarter I felt, but we need more against Port.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
There are designated outside players but I can't fathom as a smaller player not getting one contested possession in a game. The only way you can be doing that is if you're avoiding the contest. He did have 3rd most pressure act points though with 45 which is quite unusual for him.