Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
It was interesting last week that Baker played as a backline distributor in the VFL. They didn't do it this week but it's worth seeing if he can play the role better than Short ITBHO.

Baker is a one touch player who uses it well, brings others into the play and puts his body on the line when it's his turn. Far more creative with the ball than Short, who tends to bang it long. Baker can also mark overhead despite his stature.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
It was interesting last week that Baker played as a backline distributor in the VFL. They didn't do it this week but it's worth seeing if he can play the role better than Short ITBH.

Baker is a one touch player who uses it well, brings others into the play and puts his body on the line when it's his turn. Far more creative with the ball than Short, who tends to bang it long. Baker can also mark overhead despite his stature.

The sudden shift of Baker to the backline is certainly interesting. I reckon they are keen on seeing Baker play as the small defender who is good offensively too. Baker certainly has the tools and is tough as nails which appeals especially come September.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Had a poor game. Would want to improve. Showed signs in the last quarter I felt, but we need more against Port.

Yep, needs to lift. Not getting out on to the wings, too deep.

Had one moment in the last, could go short to Soldo on the 90 in the back half or go longer over a GWS bad guy and make Houli run towards the boundary for the switch but it had to land in a 5 meter spot or go on the full. Hit it off two steps, went 50 and landed like a butterfly in silk socks., in driving rain with a cross breeze.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Yep, needs to lift. Not getting out on to the wings, too deep.

Had one moment in the last, could go short to Soldo on the 90 in the back half or go longer over a GWS bad guy and make Houli run towards the boundary for the switch but it had to land in a 5 meter spot or go on the full. Hit it off two steps, went 50 and landed like a butterfly in silk socks., in driving rain with a cross breeze.

He had a few shockers as well. Scared player who will be targeted by better teams.

Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Really want Short to succeed as I've been a fan since we drafted him but I find myself swearing too much in front of the kids when he squibs a contest. This is not healthy

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I would like to know what position HE prefers.
He started off kicking 3 goals against a quality defence and 5 years later hardwick persits with him down back.
Move him forward
I reckon his best position is forward

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
I would like to know what position HE prefers.
He started off kicking 3 goals against a quality defence and 5 years later hardwick persits with him down back.
Move him forward
I reckon his best position is forward

Does he provide enough pressure to play forward? Not convinced.

Wing imo.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Does he provide enough pressure to play forward? Not convinced.

Wing imo.
problem is we expect our wings to run up and down all day, drop back and compete in the air, and win or at least halve contests, often when they are not in a position that favours them.

Reactions: 1 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
We need him to be really damaging tomorrow by foot. I haven’t seen this in the last 2 games.

Houli is near the top at metres gained average for the season. If Short can get his old numbers from last year, their will be plenty more opportunities to get a goal on the fast break.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I hope the MC realises that it would be cruel on everyone, including Jayden,

to take him into September.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Was poor, no doubt.

yeah im a neuvo critic

but im gonna make ups for lost time on his last fortnight.

On top of being timid, panic, sloppy, and unaccountable,

he's stifling Stackman44's development.

The MC have no room to move on shorty, unfortunately

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Two (or three?) absolute stinkers now. I know he's been out for a long patch with the elbow but he's contributing nothing right now. Drop him for K-Mac who at least pressures and runs hard.

He's really at the crossroads - showed a lot of promise two years ago but feel our game and personnel make him superfluous now. Understand the strategy to run and get the ball out with silky disposal but he's not even doing this. If the Match Committee keep him in for Collingwood next week then they are seeing something in him that I can't.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Two (or three?) absolute stinkers now. I know he's been out for a long patch with the elbow but he's contributing nothing right now. Drop him for K-Mac who at least pressures and runs hard.

He's really at the crossroads - showed a lot of promise two years ago but feel our game and personnel make him superfluous now. Understand the strategy to run and get the ball out with silky disposal but he's not even doing this. If the Match Committee keep him in for Collingwood next week then they are seeing something in him that I can't.

Good stuff, Antman. That pretty much sums it up for me. He's got a couple of attributes but not sure overall he is dependable and competitive enough to withstand the heat of September (as we witnessed last year).

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
If the Match Committee keep him in for Collingwood next week then they are seeing something in him that I can't.

If he is not dropped, im afraid it will signal an uncharacteristic, dysfunctional blind spot and will make me pretty nervous.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
They either reckon he can run back into form and do well in the finals, or they are giving him a last chance. In a way I approve of that, good to support players coming back from injury.

Another scenario, play him now to put him in the shop window for a trade, but he's stinking it up so bad that ain't working. I reckon he's dropped - they gave him two games in relatively easy wins and he shows no improvement. We've got better in the twos than him right now so he goes out for mine.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
At least Macintosh is physical. This guy is just not physically committed enough.