Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Pickett for Short is a must happen. He brings more hurt factor both physically and tactically.

The other one is Ross for BEllis. Different players I know but I just want to save BEllis for our preseason games next year...

hes played 1 vfl game !!!

Reactions: 1 users

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
He is a hardened body who is fit and has excelled in the Wafl, it's not like he is 19 and has no body of work behind him.

All over the net you will find some pretty amazing highlights/player of the round videos of him. The man can play like he proved last week. Together with Naish and Ross they all played above the level. You could see the difference.

My Fremantle friends back home are spitting chips we took him and even say they would prefer him over Tim Kelly!!!

Having said that you're right though, he needs more time... bring him in next week instead :) [note: apparently he's not a WCE fan]

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
hes played 1 vfl game !!!

that's more prepared than Maurice Rioli ever was. ;)

back on Shorty. I didn't rate him, then I did, then I didnt.

He is a serviceable No.21/22 in a very good side at present

and I really, really hope he gets a premiership medal.

I hope he has a pivotal Brando/Dangerfield Q final moment and those close to him are triumphant.

But if I was picking the side, he'd be an emergency.

Last edited:

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Pickett for Short is a must happen. He brings more hurt factor both physically and tactically.

Really not sure the Tigers would contemplate this but Pickett is definitely a tough unit. He had 12 contested possessions in his 1 VFL game. Short has averaged just 2.4 contested possies per game which is very low (only Garthwaite lower) and his lowest yearly average in his career. Of coure there's the argument for him playing outside wide receiver which affects this stat but I think the questions supporters are asking is would we just be better off with giving up a little bit of outside run, long kicking for a more in your face player? What's going to be more beneficial come finals? We need to find out what Pickett can do at AFL level in pretty quick time. I'm for bringing him in. But who to replace?

rinso17

Tiger Superstar
Feb 2, 2005
Really not sure the Tigers would contemplate this but Pickett is definitely a tough unit. He had 12 contested possessions in his 1 VFL game. Short has averaged just 2.4 contested possies per game which is very low (only Garthwaite lower) and his lowest yearly average in his career. Of coure there's the argument for him playing outside wide receiver which affects this stat but I think the questions supporters are asking is would we just be better off with giving up a little bit of outside run, long kicking for a more in your face player? What's going to be more beneficial come finals? We need to find out what Pickett can do at AFL level in pretty quick time. I'm for bringing him in. But who to replace?
I’ve said it before but for 2019 Pickett is simply injury insurance. Round 1 in 2020

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
We all know he is tough and great at distributing from the inside but his outside game is just as damaging.

Anyway, by the time we play Brisbane on Sunday we will know exactly where we sit in terms of what we need to do.

We might have to beat Brisbane by 100+ points to get into the 4 or some other silly permutation.

If it becomes a matter of not worrying about the result maybe we will go into tweak mode and try a few things out.

Injury Insurance? I don't believe so.

If he shows something they would bonkers to park the XY in favor of the 180B.

Last edited:

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I’ve said it before but for 2019 Pickett is simply injury insurance. Round 1 in 2020

Not buying it. You need to see if he has was what it takes before throwing him into a final in the event someone gets injured. I predict he plays before finals to test him out.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
Apart from the fact he can kick a long ball and most of the time it's to the oppositions advantage he offers zero. Absolute zero. Can't mark, can't tackle, can't spoil. Baffles me how he is getting a free ride.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Shorty was pretty poor today.
He could well be a liability again come finals.
Just not convincing in the way he goes about it.
And his competitiveness seems rather lacking for a guy that plays down back.
Does he make way for Pickett next week?

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Was serviceable today. Kick to Lynch in the first was sublime. Reckon Dusty and Short are the only ones that could hit that ball. Today was all about taking ground, long kicking out of the back was invaluable. At times Houli and Short bailed us out with the long ball up the line. And the team mates know what's coming, we are predictable at times but other times can stop us.

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Apart from the fact he can kick a long ball and most of the time it's to the oppositions advantage he offers zero. Absolute zero. Can't mark, can't tackle, can't spoil. Baffles me how he is getting a free ride.

Picks up the milk for Hardwick.
Weak link

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The panic dump mung kick from near the point post to an oppo chest 35 out has become a trademark. Four of his kicks resulted in uncontested Carlton marks today. Not great when kicking is your one-wood (and your seven-iron, and your putter).

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

pick a bloke with a 10 week injury for injury insurance?

sounds like taking out a complete destruction by meteorite policy on your contact lenses

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
The panic dump mung kick from near the point post to an oppo chest 35 out has become a trademark. Four of his kicks resulted in uncontested Carlton marks today. Not great when kicking is your one-wood (and your seven-iron, and your putter).

That was awful. And despite watching it on the iPhone I knew who did it without the benefit of a replay. He stands out for his poor physical efforts. Must make way, if Stack played his role he'd hit more targets with the easy ball and be more accountable defensively.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Surely his spot in the team must be on shaky ground. Just panics when in a one on one situation. Any good coach in the finals will expose this.