Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Not sure why it is, but why are so many players that turn into excellent HBF's picked up so late in the draft. Short a rookie, Jake Lloyd a rookie, Rory Laird taken really late in the ND (in the 80's)
Not sure about the others but wasn’t Shorty actually a forward/ mid when he was rookied?
Maybe some of these players are just suited to playing back but never did as juniors because the better players play on ball.
That’s one theory anyway

Reactions: 1 user

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Not sure about the others but wasn’t Shorty actually a forward/ mid when he was rookied?
Maybe some of these players are just suited to playing back but never did as juniors because the better players play on ball.
That’s one theory anyway
I remember seeing Short play as a small forward before his debut with the Tigers, and that’s where he played his first game. Against the Pies it was and he kicked his first goal on Pendlebury.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
New rules suit him perfectly. Real weapon between the arch’s. Should be kicking the ball four out of every five touches.

Teams will put work into him, the biggest beneficiary will be Liam Baker. Wont get as much attention but will hurt teams.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Everyone else is doing all they can to a) free you up, b) cover for you defensively and c) get you the ball.
Then all that's left for Shorty to do is run, slice n dice. Master carver of the Thanksgiving turkey n Christmas roast is our Shorty.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Become apparent very quickly that Shorty has become super important with these new rules.

Yeah I agree. Looks like quicker ball movement, will result in our defence turning the ball over more and they tend to look for Shorty a lot coming out of the backline.

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
A harsh person might say it's got something to do with half back being the easiest place to play when you're the outlet.

Everyone else is doing all they can to a) free you up, b) cover for you defensively and c) get you the ball.
It's not harsh. It's right.

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Another good game by the reigning Jack Dyer Medallist!:clap2
Love his run.

Although wish he wouldn't bounce it 4 times within 25 metres. (like yesterday! :)))
Run your full measure young man.
You've got pace. Use it.

Apart from that very happy when Shorty tears it up.
Also love it when the commentators say: "Short goes Long!"

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
I did notice he is now remarkably clean below the knees... some of the pick ups and direction changes were freakish clean.... good field vision for options too.

Reactions: 1 users